Postpartum Depression
Options

Mental Illness Awareness Week

I posted this on another board, but it seemed fitting to post it here as well.
I have general anxiety disorder, panic disorder and depression. I have never admitted this publicly. Up until now only a few people close to me knew about my mental illness. At this time last year (October 4, 2012) I admitted myself to the hospital because I found myself in a dangerous downward spiral. Today, thanks to my family, my psychiatrist and my therapist, I have my life back. I also have a
 beautiful baby boy, and there were days when I didn't think I'd live so that could happen.

I'm sharing because I think it's time to break the stigma about mental illness. There are people in ALL walks of life with mental illness - many of them suffering in silence because they're too afraid of reaching out for help. They don't want to look weak or be judged by others. Mental illness is not a weakness. It's a disease like any other, and it's not something you can get over on your own. It takes strength to admit that you're not perfect and you need help. It takes strength to fight.

If you're struggling with something similar - there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You can get through this day and the next. Never give up.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)

Re: Mental Illness Awareness Week

• Options
    So true!  I feel the same as you.  Ty for posting  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"