LGBT Parenting

Yet another company I won't be supporting...

The other day I came across a posting that stated that the Salvation Army believes that Gays should be put to death. DW and I were skeptical, so we listened to the actual interview where this was stated and it IS TRUE. 

No more donations to the Salvation Army. Ever. The Salvation Army rebutted the statement, but then proceeded to say that being gay is a sin and the only way to remedy that is for Gays to remain celibate. That's just so much better. 

Today, I read a post about Barilla pasta stating that they will never use gays in there advertising because he believes in the traditional family. 

I'm thankful that I don't eat their poison anyway. I want to at least get the word out. 

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
  • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
  • First Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 08/02/13: BFN
  • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
  • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
  • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
  • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN
  • Fifth Cycle: 02/2014 Femara 5mg with ovidrel trigger CD14: BFN
  • Taking a few months off to evaluate if we want to keep trying

Re: Yet another company I won't be supporting...

• I just saw the article about Barilla pasta.  I don't usually buy their brand anyway.  I have known for years the Salvation Army were bigots.  They do a lot of good, but they are also hateful and refuse to help any gay people.
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• There are plenty of other charities out there that I donate to.  I haven't given a dime to Salvation Army since I heard about that either.  At her last job, C wasn't out to her coworkers and she was forced into ringing the bell for the Salvation Army over the holidays.  She was really conflicted about it and resented her boss but she had to go.  To her credit, she refused to ring the bell.

She worked in a very... bigoted part of the state where gays basically either don't exist or become pariahs.  I was so, so glad when she left that job for many reasons.

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, the Salvation Army, City Mission. etc. don't get my donation (though I'll admit to shopping at their thrift stores a bit...but I look at that as recycling :)).

And, I'm not in the "pasta-is-poison" crowd, but I tend to shop at the Seattle co-op chain or Whole Foods so mostly end up with organic or fresh pasta when we do have it. However, I remember when we'd splurge and get Barilla pasta in college, instead of generic! It sucks that they suck - of course, Italy is 91% Christian and 88% of that is Catholic; I'm not defending the guy *at all* but I am guessing he was trying to speak/appeal to his consumer audience, who, on paper if they are "good Catholics" would agree with his statements.

Oh, how I hope this Pope helps change things there!

Anyhow, thanks for sharing and it's too bad that companies/charities feel this way, and furthermore, think saying so will benefit them financially.

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Crap, I donated once to Operation Christmas Child which is part of Samaritan's Purse and planned on doing it again this year because it is something fun and easy for the kids to do and understand. I never thought about them before even though I know they are Christian but apparently it is run by Billy Graham's son and anti-LGBT. Anyone know another way I could donate something similar since my DD already started her shoebox? My son is gender non-conforming and It has really opened my eyes and made me more sensitive or aware and there is no way I am supporting these types of groups. Maybe I need to find a Woman's Shelter?
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Hi, @Littlejen22!  I'm not quite sure what the kids do with the shoe boxes... Do they fill them with gifts for other kids?  Are they going overseas?  You can probably do a quick search on which charities send toys to disadvantaged kids in other countries.  Or if you wanted to stay local, I'm sure a women's shelter would accept toy and school supply donations.

It's wonderful to hear you're so supportive of your gender non-conforming son :) I wish there were more parents out there like you!

• Yeah, the kids full the boxes with toys, stuffed animals/dolls, school supplies and hygiene items. I think I am going to try to find a woman's shelter.

And thanks. It is not always easy because I worry about him especially now that he is in first grade and is becoming less and less conforming but he has always been this way and I would not change him for anything. And there is no way I am supporting groups I know are going to do anything that could l negatively affect the LGBT community. Of course it is hard though because an almost 7yo does not really understand and I still try to shelter him a lot from the bad in the world. But FWIW I was reading the Family Book
    By Todd Parr and when I read the Two Moms and Two Dads part he asked if I voted for Governor yet!
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • That's one of my biggest concerns, too, protecting my kids from the hateful perceptions of others.  It's really a shame that people try to force everyone into a specific gendered box.  Poor little guy, he's just trying to be himself.  I'm sure it's challenging, but your son is lucky to have a mom like you.  Too often people try to "correct" their kids and force them into roles they're uncomfortable with.

Good luck to you!  I hope both your kids experience good feelings from providing gifts for those in need!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"