January 2014 Moms

Wedding Gift (Not Baby Related)

For bridal showers I always buy a gift off of the registry, for the actual weddings, we always give cash. Our standard gift for friends is $100, family and very close friends get a larger amount. I am just wondering if I should be giving more, or if this is an acceptable amount. I realize that this will probably vary from individual to individual, depending on everyone's circumstances, but I am hoping that some ladies who have been married recently can give me some type of idea of what the "average" gift amount is.

Baby Lexi: BFP: May 12, 2013 (Mother's Day), EDD: January 21, 2014

Re: Wedding Gift (Not Baby Related)

• I think that's perfect.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We live in a higher cost of living area (most weddings we've been too have been between Philly and NYC), so we generally do a $50-60 shower gift off the registry and $200 in a card for the wedding.  
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends, we got married in 2012, and in our envelopes received cash amounts from $20-700 depending on the family member's ability. The average amount was probably around $75-100. 

December Siggy Challenge: Love Actually

Married DH: April 21 2012 // Expecting our first: Jan 20 2014
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• We usually give $200 if husband and I attend the wedding/reception, $100 if we are just sending a gift and not attending the wedding.

• I had about 100 people attend my wedding last year. I think only one couple gave less than $150 per couple, which seemed to be the standard. 

• We live in NYC so I think its a little inflated, but we usually give $250- $300. However, the standard is to cover the cost per head, whatever that may be. I also think that every guest may have a different financial situation and may only be able to afford half that or even less and that is perfectly OK.

Jaclyn D'Ausilio Jackie D'Ausilio

Married 6.22.12

Baby Oliver Born 1.11.14

• Oh wow. We do $50. Apparently we are cheap - but it's what we can afford :)

We got married in early 2011 and I would say the average we got in cash was $20-50. If people bought items off the registry, some gifts were higher.
  • I think this definitely depends on what part of the country you live in.  I live in the Pacific NW and when we got married 3 years ago I would say that most people (besides grandparents, aunts & uncles) gave $75-100 and I felt like that was generous.  As for the covering the cost per head I think it makes sense in that in high cost areas the going wedding gift amount is probably much higher but I would never feel obligated to "cover my plate".
    Your standard gift/money combo sounds like it makes sense for where you are at and I don't think you should have to up it at all!

image             image             
        Baby K is 3 months old!                     Max: The original fur baby            
  • Showers I usually spend $50-$75 off the registry. Weddings are cash or a registry gift around $150 (very close friends and family get $200).

dx with anovulatory PCOS 2005
    off bcp 11/11
    a few rounds of clomid and femara... no response.
    injectables/IUI 12/12... BFN
    Feb 13 IVF cycle converted down to IUI due to low follicle response... BFFN
    one last IVF attempt April/May 2013: 19 retrieved. 10 fertilized. 2 transferred in a 3dt. 4 frosties... BFP!!
    EDD: 1/21/14... Induced early at 36+6. Our little girl was born 12/30/13

surprise pregnancy with baby #2!  EDD: 8/30/16

• It depends on so much; where the wedding is located, how much the couple spent per plate, your relationship to them. If they're friends and live in an average area (cost of living) and you reckon that they spent less than $50/head, $100 is great.
  • kteesweikteeswei member
    edited October 2013
    at least the approximate cost/person for the venue with the additional amount being based on relationship.  

Edit: that said, I also think it is understood you will pay what you can afford and shouldn't be expected to cover costs if you're if money is tight.  
  • We usually give about $250 as a couple. Plus $50 as a shower gift. If the couple has a lot of high end items on the registry I buy presents and try to get something on sale (I am most proud of the 800 $ gordon ramsay pots that I found for $246!) I think the cover your plate idea is a bit silly because if I am invited to a $400 / plate wedding that's their money not min e.... but $100 per person is too low these days.
    I can't wait to meet you Neva Margaret Rebecca
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • $100/person is too low?! I'd stop going to weddings if that' was the case as I'd end up bankrupt.

I base it on how close I am to the bride and groom for the most part but also take into consideration how much I can afford.
  • we got married may 2012 and we got an average of 50$ from non family (even some family) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Wow, I'm cheap.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • We got married 8/2012 and the average was $50-$100. Some more, some less. We live in a small, rural, area but that's what everyone seems to do. We give $50 to friends, $100 to family.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We just had our wedding, and $100 was definitely the most popular gift. My grandparents gave more, and so did my parents. But friends and other family gave mostly $100, with $50s and $75s thrown in, too. I think that is very generous!
    Me: 30  DH: 34  Us: Est. 2009 (Dating) // 2013 (Married)
    DD1: 12/26/2013  DD2: 08/03/2016  DS1: 05/10/2018  Baby #4: EDD 11/22/2020 (Team Green)
  • Every time a post like this comes up I feel cheap.  For our own wedding we received mostly boxed gifts, which is norm here, but those who gave cash gave between $25 and $100.  Most were in the $50 range though.  I honestly don't ever give cash because I feel like I can get more for my money if I shop around for a gift on sale than if I just give cash. 

Luckily we are kind of past the wedding stage as most of our friends are married and neither of us have a lot of cousins left to get married either. 

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• We live in a higher cost of living area (most weddings we've been too have been between Philly and NYC), so we generally do a $50-60 shower gift off the registry and $200 in a card for the wedding.  
    That's almost exactly what we do too. (We live in MA)

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• I think your gifts are absolutely fine.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I take into consideration the relationship we have with the bride and groom and location of the wedding. I always try to cover the plate and give something extra. I would say DH and I give a standard $300 for acquaintances, and more for family and friends.
    I have a savings account for my brothers and plan to give them a lot more than I would normally give to out at weddings but that's also because of the close relationship we have.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
    PgAL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"