November 2013 Moms

Getting back into shape

HI. i wanted to ask as a FTM:

What are some of the items you ladies have took into? I've seen a lot of ads for postpartum wraps for the tummy and hips.. Do these really help? 

Re: Getting back into shape

• They help with support. They do not make you smaller.
    I'm looking into establishing my BM supply, drinking plenty of fluids and starting to pay attention to my caloric intake again.
    Then, I will start easing back into my work out routine again once my OB clears me.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • They help with support. They do not make you smaller.
    Exactly this. There is no magic "shrink you back" garment, alas.
    photo bannernew_zpsfb1f0d0b.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My goal is to eat a diet conducive to good breast milk production and to start working out again as soon as I'm cleared by my OB. I got a "Belly Bandit" but I'm not solely relying on that to help coax things back into place.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • The belly wraps are more for support, they were nice after my c/s. Loosing weight, I would say take it slow, enjoy your lo, and eat healthy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic              image 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @babymama619 well your welcome to get stabby. Everyone has the right to express their own opinion. I ask because I want to know. If you don't like the question your not obligated to answer.

• LOL. who keeps their resolution? 

• Anyways. Those who actually answered my question. THANK YOU ^_^

I guess I will save some money and just stick with my regular routine as much as my LO allows. lol.

• I was thinking of this topic yesterday actually. I was at the swap meet and between stalls of birds, car parts and anything else you could imagine, was a stall selling ladies undergarments. One specifically for "post parto" that looked like a Victorian era torture/beauty device. Complete with rows of straps and reinforced stitching!

Really though, I'm looking forward to eating the healthy foods I loved again. My favorites are either not "safe" or gag inducing right now. The diet change alone is going to help a little with both BFing and trimming up. We're also lucky that the weather here is so nice in the winter that once I get back on my feet, walking and hiking will once again be enjoyable. It should also help with the ppd I'm likely facing. Good old sunshine!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RIGHT before we found out I was prego, I had dropped 15lb in a few months. So I'm looking to get back on track with that. It helped that Hubby is a great cook and he likes to weight lift. So food is always on the mark. 

I have a hard time losing weight unless its high intensity workouts and I just don't know how well/quickly my body can get back in the groove of things after labor and all. So just trying to see if the products would be helpful during the times before my complete clear to go all out. 
  • I'm going to just see what my body does after having LO and establishing our routines. I'm hoping breast feeding will give me a good start On Weight loss. I would like to go back on weight watchers at some point but would have to talk to my doctor since I'll be breast feeding. At some point I'll get back to the gym. I'll take it slow and one thing at a time.
  • rbtrumpetrbtrumpet member
    edited October 2013
    The best advice I've gotten from people who seem to "bounce back" really quick is:

1) workout as much as is healthy/possible/comfortable during your pregnancy

2) get into a breastfeeding and sleep routine with your baby as soon as possible

3) watch what you eat, during pregnancy and after (and always) - this includes eating enough to maintain a sufficient breastmilk supply!  Under-eating can, and usually does, affect your ability to produce milk.  You do NOT want to have to wean early just because you didn't eat properly!

4) DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!  Everyone loses weight at different rates.  Healthy you, and healthy baby are MUCH more important than getting back in shape!

Build up your routine VERY slowly at a comfortable pace!  
    I know you want fast results, but there are NO good fast results.  Story time: I used to be a gym rat, working out 20+ hrs/week in the gym (I was a zumba and body pump instructor, and I did triathlons).  I stopped doing that when I got married, and I put on some weight.  So I decided to lose the weight.  I jumped back into my full-out "kill my body" routine.  And kill my body was exactly what I did!  I didn't stop when it hurt, I didn't rest when my body told me I needed to - I pushed on telling myself "I used to be able to do this".  I ended up tearing my ACL, which plopped me on the couch recovering from surgery for 3 months (and I ended up gaining ever MORE weight!).  Not to mention I'm no where NEAR as strong as I used to be, and probably never will be again.  Running hurts, squats hurt, heck, walking up/down stairs is still a struggle (I live in a townhouse, so I do stairs multiple times a day, and it's been a year since my surgery!).

I guarantee if I had listened to my body, and slowly built back up to my previous workout routine, then I would be in MUCH better shape than I am now - just because I pushed myself too hard!

All that being said, I plan on doing Pure Barre when I'm cleared to work out again - there is a studio opening up close to work, and on their website, they said they have a package for new moms which is 3-months of unlimited workouts for a fixed price.  It is also low-impact, so I hope it'll be friendly for my knee.  I also plan on doing Weight Watchers again - after my breastfeeding is well established.  I did Weight Watchers many years ago, and lost 60 lbs (that's how I became a gym rat in the first place!).
  • While I can't do the high intensity work-outs that I love, I have maintained my weight lifting routine thus far, along with walking and yoga. I'm hoping that even though I've put on weight and have puffed up, I've maintained my muscle tone, which will help with labor and delivery and my goal of regaining something resembling my pre-pregnancy self.

Also, I'll probably go back to a plant-based diet as breastfeeding allows. I'm definitely cutting the dairy out again too.
  • I plan on just going back to my pre-pregnancy habits and I will BF. You do have to give your body time to heal, so don't plan on jumping into a training routine right away. Unless you have a c-section, I don't think the wraps are needed.

Last time I spent most of my maternity leave (12 weeks) laying at home with a newborn sleeping on me. I did some walking, but really nothing big. I went back to work with a few extra pounds, but I did fit into my non-maternity pants. I had a bit of a muffin top, but they did fit. Within the next six months, I was actually 10 pounds and one size below my pre-pregnancy weight. I watched what I ate, exercised moderately, and BF. I'm hoping it works that way this time.

BFing will help contract your uterus. It may help you lose weight, but not all moms see this. BFing burns about 500 calories per day, but it also makes you hungry and you will need to snack, so it may be a wash.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • oh. I didn't know BF makes you hungry. I am planning to BF if I have the milk. I haven't leaked yet so I'm hoping it'll come in after birth. 

It will be an interesting learning curve for my body just like the pregnancy. (>.<)
  • MsCrispyMsCrispy member
    edited October 2013
    oh. I didn't know BF makes you hungry. I am planning to BF if I have the milk. I haven't leaked yet so I'm hoping it'll come in after birth. 

It will be an interesting learning curve for my body just like the pregnancy. (>.<)
    I didn't get hungry while BFing, it was just in general. Similar to being pregnant or training for a marathon, your body is using more calories, so your body needs more calories throughout the day.

• I also plan on doing Weight Watchers again - after my breastfeeding is well established.  I did Weight Watchers many years ago, and lost 60 lbs (that's how I became a gym rat in the first place!).

Just curious- is it ok to do ww while breast feeding? Of course I'll ask my doctor but I'm curious if you will alter the program any to accommodate breast feeding.

• AlisonM12 said:
    I also plan on doing Weight Watchers again - after my breastfeeding is well established.  I did Weight Watchers many years ago, and lost 60 lbs (that's how I became a gym rat in the first place!).
    Just curious- is it ok to do ww while breast feeding? Of course I'll ask my doctor but I'm curious if you will alter the program any to accommodate breast feeding.

/quote 

Definitely talk to your doctor!  When I did it (like 9 years ago!) they had a special program for breastfeeding moms.  The plan is altered so you eat about 500-700 extra calories/day over what the "normal" WW plan is. (which is about what you burn when breastfeeding).

Again, it's important to eat enough to to affect your supply, but that doesn't mean you can just go nuts either ;)
  • I think WW has a setting for BFing moms and they alot you more points (I didn't use it, but I remember moms on my other BMB talking about it).

• rbtrumpet said:
    AlisonM12 said:
    I also plan on doing Weight Watchers again - after my breastfeeding is well established.  I did Weight Watchers many years ago, and lost 60 lbs (that's how I became a gym rat in the first place!).

/quote 

Definitely talk to your doctor!  When I did it (like 9 years ago!) they had a special program for breastfeeding moms.  The plan is altered so you eat about 500-700 extra calories/day over what the "normal" WW plan is. (which is about what you burn when breastfeeding).

Again, it's important to eat enough to to affect your supply, but that doesn't mean you can just go nuts either ;)

Thanks!!
  • @cfox815 - that's exactly what I'm looking for! I love a good workout. I looked at all the post-pregnancy stories on the website.

I won't do it until I go back to work at 3 months PP. I plan on doing light workouts at home until I go back to work.
  • I'm already feeling stabby that posts like this are on the way. Have a baby. Get said baby healthy. Get yourself some sleep. Make healthy choices. In a few months, maybe even 6, start worrying about how your body looks. Seriously, we're making people here. Give yourself a break.

Yep this. I have been breast feeding or pregnant since July 2011. I also know I want another baby after this. I lovingly refer to these years as my mushy years. I'm healthy and stay active. That's it!

• Damn.  And here I am simply worried about getting enough food to eat during the weeks after birth so that I don't kill someone from being sleep-deprived and cranky from lack of regular meals.  Now I have to think about exercise, too?

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

March 24bimageimageimage
  • I just plan on remaining fat. DH keeps telling me how gorgeous I am when I'm pregnant, so why fix it if it ain't broke?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"