Natural Birth
Options

Help Me Think This Through - Facing Possible Induction

Alright, so background. I had a "dream" pregnancy - no morning sickness, I'm not "huge" and uncomfortable, I've gained a total of 1 lb. (was overweight to begin with), etc. etc. etc. My baseline BP was somewhere right around 120/80 - already borderline hypertension according to my Dr. I am now 39w1d and my Dr. has been talking about induction since last week b/c my BP has slowly been creeping up. I work in the healthcare field, so you would think that no procedures would bother me, but I do tend to have "high BP" when I'm at the office. I check it at home 3-4x/day and it is sometimes low and sometimes high, just depends on the time I check it. I have no other symptoms (blurry vision, upper gastric pain, swelling, etc.) I've been going in for weekly NSTs x 3 weeks (did 2 at Dr's request this week) - baby is doing great - and have had no issues with protein in my urine (I'm doing another 24 hr urine screen this weekend). I've also had 2 BPP USs to see how baby is doing - have passed them with flying colors and baby is currently "estimated" at about 7 1/2 lbs. I can feel sporadic Braxton Hicks, and today my NST showed contractions 8-10 min. apart, but I wasn't aware of them. My Dr. doesn't like to see any BP with bottom # above 80, but when it's pushing 90, she gets antsy. Mine has really been up and down, but consistently higher than my baseline. In the office on Tuesday, it was 122/86. Today at my NST it got as high as 134/91, but I also had 122/79 and other lower BPs and some in between those #s. She also checked my cervix and I was soft, baby in position and about a fingertip dilated. Today she was reviewing my BPs and is concerned that my BPs seem to be steadily rising - again, they seem to be "rising" when I'm in the office or in a procedure (but really they are all over the place), but are more normal when I check it at home regularly. She is aware of my aversion to being induced (I'm hoping for a med-free birth, among other reasons), but I don't think she's going to give me much longer. I'm hoping to get her to hold out until I'm at least 40 weeks. She also wants to potentially strip my membranes tomorrow to maybe urge the process along - I'm not completely opposed to this, but I don't think it's going to do much good if I was only dilated a fingertip on Tuesday. So, I guess I'm just looking for some advice, guidance, etc. How much do I "push" for no induction and at what point do I just give in? If I have to be induced, how do I cope with hoping to go med-free (I'm already planning to position change a lot during labor, use Lamaze techniques, etc.) How does induction affect BFing? Any thoughts on trying to induce naturally - I'm already taking EPO 1000mg 2x/day, on my feet a lot for my job, sex....
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Help Me Think This Through - Facing Possible Induction

• Options
    Sorry for one long paragraph - on my iPad!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Your OB needs to back off. Your BPs are fine. Preeclampsia is 140/90 on at least 2 occasions. You have no other symptoms either. If I were you, I would refuse induction until either you or baby are unsafe. You OB cannot force you to be induced. You just simply don't go for an induction. You have the right to make an educated decision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your blood pressure is fine, your OBGYN is nuts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would just continue monitoring things, and if things stay the same, don't agree to be induced.

If it does come to induction, I have some suggestions how to get thru it pain med free.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    It sounds like your OB may be a bit extreme in wanting an induction right now.  Your BP seem like they are slightly high but not near pre-e.  The fact that there is no protein in your urine and you are not having any other symptoms leads me to think that you should wait on an induction.  To be on the safe side I do think you should continue to monitor the situation just in case something develops. 
  • Options
    Stripping your membranes might not do anything for you if your cervix isn't ripe... 
  • Options
    Can you switch providers? At the very least, tell her no, and ask for another opinion. Of you are adamant about not being induced, do NOT go to the hospital until you are fully in labor. You can just not show up for a scheduled induction. I agree with all PP who said it sounds like your OB is looking for a problem that isn't there.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Agreed! It sounds like she's the reason your bp is elevated! Induction shouldn't be necessary as tings are right now.  If it does come to induction for any reason you also have options. The membrane sweep or using a foley bulb are both options as well as limiting the amount of pit cervidal or cytotech and turning it down or off once labor is established. It also sounds like you may want to put a birth plan together if you haven't so your OB doesn't try railroading you into other decisions later on. GL and I really hope you get the birth you want!

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this - I'm facing an induction for other reasons and appreciate reading what others think.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"