Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When do you stop waking to eat?

My LO reached her birth weight so we don't have to wake her at night to eat. But her dr said to wake her every 3 hours during the day to eat. Do you ever stop that and let them wake to eat?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When do you stop waking to eat?

• I usually let DS tell me when he wants to eat unless my breasts start to feel really full before that. That doesn't happen often though, he usually lets me know every couple of hours. He's 10 weeks
  • Per the pediatrician, once he is at birthweight he can sleep up to 6 hours uninterrupted.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Loading the player...
  • I continue to wake during day, to differentiate day and night
  • I only wake if they are having issues maintaining and gaining weight or if I am extremely uncomfortable. That point has been different for all my kids but generally by 3 weeks I let them eat when they want.
  • NKF312 said:

I continue to wake during day, to differentiate day and night

This. I wake during the day if it's been 3 hours since LO ate last.

• I wake to differentiate day and night too, most tones I don't have to wake him. My pedi said to continue this as they need to eat a certain amount and ad they sleep more at night they need to make sure they eat during the day
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• I'm a little jealous that you had to wake her at night. My LO wakes me. It used to be every hour. Now, at 3 weeks, it is finally 2 hours.
    imageimageimage

• My lo eats every 2-3 hours during he day so I don't worry about waking her. She lets me know when she's hungry.

At night, I wake her up every 3 hours but am hoping we get the ok to discontinue that after our appt tomorrow. She'll be 2 weeks.
  • Thanks everyone.  It seems like there's no real rule on this.  My LO reached her birth weight by her 5 day appt, and the dr said to wake every 3 hours during the day, but let her sleep at night.  She rarely wakes in the day for her feedings.  We don't go back to the dr until her 1 month appt so I can't ask until then.  I did weigh her (just to make sure she was eating enough since I EBF) and she's up a lb already.
  • Thanks everyone.  It seems like there's no real rule on this.  My LO reached her birth weight by her 5 day appt, and the dr said to wake every 3 hours during the day, but let her sleep at night.  She rarely wakes in the day for her feedings.  We don't go back to the dr until her 1 month appt so I can't ask until then.  I did weigh her (just to make sure she was eating enough since I EBF) and she's up a lb already.

If that's what your doctor said, I'd listen to them

Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

I am, I was just curious for the future. Basically I was just wondering if she would say to change things at her next appt.

Yup.

During the day I offer the breast every 3-4 hours.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• sfeebs13sfeebs13 member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks everyone.  It seems like there's no real rule on this.  My LO reached her birth weight by her 5 day appt, and the dr said to wake every 3 hours during the day, but let her sleep at night.  She rarely wakes in the day for her feedings.  We don't go back to the dr until her 1 month appt so I can't ask until then.  I did weigh her (just to make sure she was eating enough since I EBF) and she's up a lb already.
    DD was like this too. But the older she got she stayed awake for longer periods and didn't sleep for such long stretches to where I would need to wake her.
    I always wake her at least every 3-4hrs during the day so she knows day and night.

She is now 9w.

ETA    you can always call them if you have questions.

I am glad you asked this because I was confused about this too. I always heard "Never wake a sleeping baby." For the first two weeks of LO's life, we woke him up every two to three hours per doctors orders. Once we received the okay from the Pedi to let him sleep through the night (at two weeks), we happily obliged. However, our Pediatrician said to continue waking him every three hours during the day (and the limit right now for sleeping is 6 hours). 

I agree with the pp's. This will help differentiate between day and night among other things. It sounds like we are in a similar situation though. I would do what the doctor says. 
    *E - 08/29/2013*

• You don't have to "wake a sleeping baby" but chances are people who say this, whether don't mind being on demand 24-7, or, they have LOs who sleep well at night regardless. The truth is, babies need so many calories a day, like us. If they don't get enough food during the day, they will wake more. Now at this young age their tiny tummy's can't hold that much anyways, so that's why they will probably wake every 2-4 hours regardless, but as they get older, feeding them every 2-3 hours during the day should slowly help reduce the need to eat as much at night.

• Now that she's gaining, we feed on demand.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"