Babies: 3 - 6 Months

jlpev (or others whose baby would not take a bottle)

My baby is 4 months and will not take milk (pumped) from a bottle. He just plays with it in his mouth and eventually starts crying. Not sure if it is because he can't figure out how to work it or because he is mad and wants my boob. How did you get your baby to take a bottle? Advice? Thanks in advance :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: jlpev (or others whose baby would not take a bottle)

• You can try an alternative such as a cup, sippy cup or Playtex straw cups at this age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • But do you think they would take the full feeding out of some kind of cup? (like 4 oz)

• Loading the player...
  • Some babies do. My first kid never really took to the bottle and we had to try a ton to find one he liked. I suspect that he would have been fine with a straw cup or sippy. Check this out: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/alternative-feeding/

• I gave up & just continued to BF. I'm not about to go & test out a bunch of bottles
  • Oh also, my kid never took a bottle from me or even if I was around. He would take one from Dad or at Daycare though. 

• Thanks... I will try a straw cup tomorrow and see what he does with it.

• Sorry I just now saw this...I spent one day of only giving DD a bottle. After she finally got it, I started nursing her again. Now she will take a bottle from dh but wont from me which is ok! I'm always with her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I JUST got my LO to take a bottle today.  She refused loudly every time we tried, so I'd leave it alone for a while, and then today, poof!  She got it!  Her Daddy will be so happy!!
  • Our almost 4 month old won't take a bottle either from anyone.  His tongue thrust reflex is still pretty strong so it may just take another month until that disappears.  He is used to BFing so his reflex doesn't affect that but taking a bottle nipple is not organic to him so it will take a bit of persistence until he is ready.
  • I tried a cup and no luck, but my friend tried to feed him with a bottle yesterday when she came over and he took it! Yay!!! I need to keep offering it to him so he doesn't forget. It's such a relief to know that he knows how. Thanks for all of your replies.

• I found I couldn't let her be frantically hungry, when I was gone for 8 hours and my mom watched her I would say don't let her go longer than 3 hours without eating even if she isn't acting hungry, even though she typically goes 4-5 hours, if I pushed it off too long she would be too hungry and would get frustrated quick and then it would be all down hill after that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"