Adoption
Options

Birth Control while adopting

Since I can get pregnant (but not stay pregnant) my husband and I are opting to use birth control while we go about the adoption process. It seems weird b/c we really want to have a baby but are using birth control anyhow. I know it's for the best but I struggle with it. Right now I'm using a diaphragm but contemplating talking to my Dr. about an IUD.

Anyone else use birth control while adopting? How did it feel for you?

Started TTC July 2012. Missed m/c & d&c 9/12 11w. Natural m/c 1/13 6w. Chemical pgs 3/13 & 8/13 around 4w. Currently TTA while saving for adoption.

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” -Helen Keller

Re: Birth Control while adopting

• Options
    We can't get pregnant without invasive treatments so birth control is out of our radar... but I will say that if I were in your position, as hard as it would be, I really think I would probably opt for an IUD - there are benefits to it.

Began the Adoption process 4/2013
    Home study Approved 12/2013
    .... and the wait begins! 

• Options
    I am getting a mirena inserted next week and am terrified!!! I don't really fit in this group because I am not adopting due to infertility.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    kushie77kushie77 member
    edited October 2013
    It feels silly sometimes to pick BCP up from the pharmacy when DH has no sperm and we're waiting to adopt, but I have to take it for health reasons. I can understand why you would use contraception in your situation. Good luck on finding the easiest method for yourself!

This exactly.  We also have MFI, but my cycles have decided to go crazy the last few months, so my Gyn put me back on OCP to try and straighten it out.  It seems crazy to be on the pill but it is what it is. 

FWIW  before we decided to TTC I had a Mirena for the full 5 years.  It hurt for a few moments getting it put it, and I had light spotting for a few months, but then my cycles were super light (I only needed panty liners it was so light) and only lasted 3 days.  Honestly I thing having the cath for the HSG in my cervix hurt more than having the Mirena inserted.

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
    April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
    May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
    12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

• Options
    I'm on BC because we can get pregnant but we don't have healthy children. Healthy meaning all 5 pregnancies miscarried (3 with cystic hygroma and hydrops). So.. yea. Its frustrating each month because we can get pregnant, but we can't bring home a child. It makes me super emotional each month. Gah!
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Options

I had a hysterectomy and I take BC as HRT.  It feels ridiculous to pick it up, but whatcha gonna do?  It's that or hot flashes and bone loss. 

I agree it felt weird to be "preventing" before the hysto, when there wasn't any chance of a pregnancy anyway.  Now, it's awesome to never worry about buying another box of tampons, ever, and have that monthly reminder that I'm never going to be pregnant.  For that reason alone, if I were in your shoes, I'd go the IUD route. 

• Options
    I'm on BC because we can get pregnant but we don't have healthy children. Healthy meaning all 5 pregnancies miscarried (3 with cystic hygroma and hydrops). So.. yea. Its frustrating each month because we can get pregnant, but we can't bring home a child. It makes me super emotional each month. Gah!
    @strawberruglobug this is our situation exactly (although not with hygroma and hydrops). It sucks so bad seeing my fertile signs every month and trying to ignore them. So sorry for your losses dear.

Started TTC July 2012. Missed m/c & d&c 9/12 11w. Natural m/c 1/13 6w. Chemical pgs 3/13 & 8/13 around 4w. Currently TTA while saving for adoption.

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” -Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I am sorry that you are struggling with this. My situation is different, but I did get on BC when we started the adoption process. I can't get pregnant on my own. And I KNOW this, I really do, but I had to get on BC when we first started the process, just to break free of the TTC mindset. I just couldn't get out of it and stop hoping that THIS month would be THE ONE. I had to stop doing that to myself and BC helped with that. I only took it for a few months, but it helped the emotional aspect of things quite a bit. It helped me move past the IF part of my life and on to the adoption part of our parenting journey. I no longer take it, and I sometimes still tend to think that maybe, just maybe, it might happen...but its been so long that my rational mind knows that it won't. I didn't like taking it, but like you, I knew that in my situation, at that time, it was for the best. I am sorry that you are struggling. Sending ((hugs)) your way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"