Babies on the Brain
Options

TTC first time

Hi there. My husband and I agreed to start TTC in November/December. I'm wondering when I should stop taking my birth control? And any advice for when we start trying would be awesome!! Thanks!!

Re: TTC first time

• Options
    jklylesjklyles member
    edited September 2013
    I've been off birth control for almost 20 months now, so I can't directly relate.  But I know plenty of people who have gotten pregnant right away after stopping BC.  It just might take a few months for your cycles to become "normal" again and that may make it difficult to get the timing exactly right when TTC.  When I stopped BC, it took 3-6 months for my cycles to be regular again.  But it won't hurt to try!!  :)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    Don't get off BC until you are ready to conceive unless you plan on using a back-up method while your body "regulates".  It can take a while after your stop taking it for your cycles to get back to normal or you can get pregnant immediately.  I got pregnant with DD#1 my first cycle after stopping BC (but it was a 6 week cycle).

Good luck!
    Photoset 15 of 15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Personally, I would go off now and let my body regulate.  BUT I would also be using back up methods just in case.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Wow thanks everyone. Our idea was for me to stop after this last BC pack and let my body regulate. We were just planning to use other methods until were totally ready. We just haven't asked any friends or anyone we know yet because we don't want anyone to know when we start trying. :)
  • Options

Some people regulate right away and are able to get pregnant right away.  Others don't.  So until you are FOR SURE ready to start TTC, if you go off the pill make sure you use back up methods.

A lot of people here chart, you dont' have to, but a lot do, so they know they are hitting the fertile window at the right time.   I didn't with my first, and got lucky quickly, but am charting now to TTC my 2nd.   If you want info on charting, look up the tutorials on Fertility Friend.  If you are not ready to go down that road yet, that is fine too.  Good luck on your journey!

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    GesshokuGesshoku member
    edited September 2013

I've been off BC for 2 years now because of cysts. but we used a backup until Aug. that's when we started trying but nothing yet. have you started vitamins yet? I started taking those earlier this year.

Oops, forgot to say- I would stop BC now like others have said. And use backup until ready. :)

• Options
    I actually started taking prenatal vitamins last year. I have a pharmacist friend that recommended taking prenatal vitamins as soon as a year in advance. I have started charting some and looking at options. We plan on using a back up method until December when we plan on TTC. I really just want my cycles to regulate before then. GL ladies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"