July 2013 Moms
Options

Deep thoughts for Friday

So today's FFFC post got me thinking about self-esteem and happiness and all that. Are you happy with your life? Is this where you pictured yourself to be at this age/stage in your life? What is something you wish you could change about your life or that you'd do different? I know most of us won't be size 0 but are you ok with what you are? Is your job/career right now what you thought you'd do with your life? What is your idea career?

I know, lots of questions and food for thought. I'm full of this deep life thoughts crap!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Deep thoughts for Friday

• Options
    I'll go first! Yes, overall I'm very happy with my life. The past few years have been especially rocky in the job department for both DH and I but I feel like we're finally getting a grip on things and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm doing what I I went to college for but sometimes wonder if it's the right path for me. I think for now, until all my children are in school, I'll keep doing what I'm doing (I teach preschool at a childcare center and get a HUGE discount on my daycare costs). After Eli goes to school in 5 years, I'll likely be changing it up and doing something different.

I always knew I wanted several children and wanted to be done by the time I was 30. I'll turn 31 next week and we definitely don't plan on having anymore children so I feel great with this aspect.

As far as health and weight goes, I'd love to lose another 10 pounds and build muscle tone. My biggest motivation is my mom. She had 4 kids and never lost the weight and has sort of given up. She's probably 70 pounds overweight and is now struggling with many health issues, many I believe are weight related. I don't want to turn out that way so I'm very conscious of my weight and eating/exercise habits.

Sorry for the novel!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

For the most part I am happy with my life. We have some big changes happening right now which should make our lives better. We are moving in a couple of weeks (Oct 24th) and will be significantly closer to family and friends. Being so far away has been a strain on me emotionally and on us as a couple because there is so much pressure to spend time at one side of the family or the other.

This is pretty much where I pictured myself for this point in my life. I did imagine I would have 2 kids by this point, but I am not complaining.

I wasn't a size 0 before pregnancy and wasn't happy with my body prior to getting pregnant. I now weigh less than I did before, but am looking forward to working on my body and being happy with it.

Since we are moving I don't have a job to go back to next year. I loved my job, so I am sad and scared. I probably won't find another job I enjoyed as much as that one. I don't know what kind of job I will be able to get where we move. The concept of leaving Alex for the day scares me. It's something I will have to work on over the next year.

I don't know what my ideal career would be right now. Probably SAHM.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im happy with where I'm at. I had no idea, or plans, to be a mother for several more years so sometimes its still a shock we have a son. Im not happy with my physical appearance right now. I worked my ass off and lost 60lbs prior to getting pregnant and am upset at myself for regressing some. I need to work on being more active. Id like to start back at a hospital but for the time being ill remain a sahm. Overall though, I love everything thats going on right now.
  • Options
    I'm pretty satisfied with life. I'd really love to go back to school for Midwifery (I'm in the process of trying to convince my husband). I have my AA and it took me 3 years with the two I had before having my third child. My husband is very sceptical because I'd have to quit work for a few years and we're trying to buy a house. I'm still very young though, I'm only 27. Anyway.... I'm pretty happy. I'd be happier if we were able to purchase a new home and I was able to become a midwife! But I'm leaving it up to God!

• Options
    I am thrilled with my life! I have always wanted to be a SAHM, and am so appreciative of DH's support in making that happens. I thought I would have had kids younger, but it was either start having kids, and continue to work. Or wait a few more years and stay home.

Physically, I am not where I want to be, but having two kids so close in age took its toll. I also had sections, so I have just started working out again. I just eat right and try to workout when I can and try not to cheat. I want to lose 20 more lbs, but more important I just want any pair of my old pants to fit again. I refuse to go up a size, so I will be wearing yoga pants till something else fits.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Great thread!

I'm generally extremely happy with my life. My husband and I have been married for almost 10 years and I feel closer to him every day. Our marriage and out children are the greatest joys of my life.

When my mom sued suddenly from cancer 5 years ago, I went through a terrible time with anxiety and depression and felt like there was no end in sight. I knew I should be happy with all of my blessings, but couldn't be. After getting help, I amabke to just enjoy life.

I moved back to my home town during my last year of college when my initially got sick and helped run our family business. After that, DH and I got pregnant. I've stayed home with the kids for 6 years now and I worry that I will never have a career. I have one year left of school and would really like to finish it. I wouldn't trade our life now for anything but I often wonder who I could have been had things been different. KWIM?

As farcas my body, I'm generally pretty happy with it. It certainly isn't perfect and though I weigh the same that I did pre pregnancy, things are different after 3 kids! I am committed to working out and being healthy but I don't stretch over a stretch mark or cellulite. They are just certains things I have to accept :) my kids and our family are so worth it!
  • Options
    I'm very happy with my life. The only thing I wish I could "do over" is a different major for my BA. I had intended on going into teaching but it all fell through (long story). So, I wish I hadn't let my fears of nursing school talked myself out of just going for it. So, when DS turns 1 I'm looking to take that Dream Bull by the nads & go for it.

Weight/body wise I need to get lighter for health/pain reasons. I'm not horrified with how I look. I just would like to have clothes shopping not be so difficult. However, it's always been hard even when I was a size 8. Being a DDD up top makes it hard to find clothing that works at size 8.

Now I'm a size 16 (I think?) and size I boob. It's insanity. I'd like to be thinner because its healthy for me, but also because the extra weight is physically kicking my ass.

Emotional/spiritual: I'd like to have more patience. Like, I feel like I spend a lot of time annoyed with simple life shit. I need to be more chill because I think it would help some anxiety issues. Other than that I feel really blessed to have what I have.

Good post. :)

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm pretty happy with my life but it's definitely different than I thought it would be. I was going to move to California after college but I met my fiance instead.

I went to school to be a special education teacher... which I've never done. After college I worked at a bank for almost 2 years and then I quit to work for my fiance. I love being able to stay home and I never plan to go back to work again.

Financially we're doing ok, ideally I'd like to be bringing in more money which will hopefully happen eventually. My fiances business has grown 3X the size it was when I met him. We're very blessed in that aspect.

I haven't been to the gym in 2 months, I feel icky. I'm not all the way back to my prepregnancy size and I have a lot of toning to work on. Overall, I'm ok with my body for now but I'll be ready to kick it into high gear here soon in order to be in a swim suit by next summer.

I have a very loving and supportive family and everyone is in good health so I'm a happy girl :)
  • Options
    Overall I'm happy with my life. I work part time for my church and am allowed to bring DD with me so for now I still get to work a little and not have to worry about daycare which we couldn't afford. I like myself better when I have to get up and out of the house a couple days a week. That means I actually have to shower and get dressed! Haha. My job has hardly anything to do with what I majored in, but I'm ok with it. I enjoy my work environment and love my church.

I'm not really happy with my body. :( I was seriously working on it right before I got pregnant and had lost 20 lbs (I gained weight my first year of marriage partially due to stress and birth control) but then gained it all back and then some toward the end of my pregnancy. Right after baby, I dropped 20 lbs really quick and then somehow gained 10 back! Ugh! I'm breast feeding but stuck not losing anything and it's beyond frustrating. None of my clothes fit. I'm living in maternity pants and yoga pants... I don't know if any of it has to do with my enlarged ovary or not, but other than walking I'm not allowed to exercise which sucks. I just want to be healthy and the fact that it could take 30+ weeks (losing a pound a week) to get back to where I was when I first got pregnant is super depressing. That wouldn't even put me close to my goal weight but obviously I can't do any crazy diets because of bf-ing! Anyway rant over. I'm just trying to be ok with me now as it won't change very quickly.

I honestly thought that at 28 I would have more children and been married longer, but that's not how life turned out! I got married right before 27 and pregnant my first year of marriage. We talked about having 2-4 kids but now I'm not sure. The fact is, if we want more kids I don't want to wait too long but I can't even imagine doing it all over again right now. I haven't even been cleared to DTD! Ha Irish twins are clearly not in my future.

DH and I are working through some stuff but I love him and he's a great dad. I'm excited to raise DD together! Right now I'm just trying to make it through this current health crisis and see whether or not I need surgery for my ovary. It's been quite a year but I'm so glad to have my awesome baby to snuggle with even if my body is not where I want it to be!
  • Options
    I'm happy with my family and my career. I'm not happy with my body right now, but in a few more months I probably will be.

I ran my first marathon a few months before getting pregnant the first time. A good friend of mine ran by my side. It was her first marathon too, and we finished seconds apart. After that I started having kids, and she started doing triathlons. In the past 5 years I have had 3 kids, and she has completed 3 ironman triathlons. We have similar jobs, backgrounds, and the same friends. She still travels (I haven't done much lately), got a masters degree in the evenings, and has advanced in her career more than me. I see her life as the path not taken because that's what I would have done if we wouldn't have had kids. I don't have any regrets, but I sure wish my body looked like hers!
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Are you happy with your life?  Yes.

Is this where you pictured yourself to be at this age/stage in your life? Yep!  I always wanted to be married and have at least one child by 30.  :)

What is something you wish you could change about your life or that you'd do different? I'm not sure that there's anything.  Sometimes I wish I didn't screw up my first year of college (although I was sexually assaulted and dealing w/depression, so that wasn't totally my fault), but then I probably wouldn't have met my husband, and might have married my first b.f. (vomit).

I know most of us won't be size 0 but are you ok with what you are? I wish my stomach were flatter, back to how it was pre-pregnancy, but I know it's still early and I'm trying to work on that.  I also realize it probably won't ever be back to exactly how good it was.

Is your job/career right now what you thought you'd do with your life? Yes.  I always wanted to be a s.a.h.m.

What is your ideal career? working for Disney, which d.h. says will happen one day cuz he says we'll move there when he's retired, l.o.l.

• Options
    I'm happier than I really expected to be. I was really getting my career in a good place when I found out I was prego with twins. I had to quit my job, and super early bc of twins. I became a sahm to 4 kids, when I really thought we were done at 2.
    I lost my body. Completely. There is just no coming back from 3 pregnancies and finishing up with twins. But the new mature me is cool. I still dress cute and wear fun shoes and do my make up. Ok, I'm not Heidi klum but I like my style and my hair has never been better!
    I do miss work, a lot. But this is my adventure and who knew missing 3 of those little pills that last October would bring around such a 180! Hahaha!!
  • Options

Life is pretty good right now. I have my wonderful husband that put up with me and is my best friend and now a wonderful little boy. I was never one to think about where I would be at a certain point but I do think about it now.

I'm not working my dream job but I'm a dog groomer and to me, as long as I'm working with animals, I'm happy. My husband has a job that is really looking up and he enjoys it so much. Our location sucks IMO but we're here for the time being.

My weight has always been an issue for me. Being pregnant actually helped that a lot. I didn't have to suck it in - I was pregnant! I was hoping it would continue past birth but it has not. I returned to pre-pregnancy weight within 4 weeks so I am thankful for that. Now I just have to continue  loosing. This baby is a great motivator!

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    My number one dream in life was to be a mom. I am that now. That alone, in the end, makes me happy. Seriously.

Am I upset that DH and I are having financial trouble and I may not get to be a SAHM anymore? VERY. I wish things were different and we will work towards making it different but at least I'm a mom.

Physically, I hate my weight. I'm 5' 2" and a size 16/18 and weigh 197 lbs. Thanks to PCOS, almost all that weight is in my belly. I look 20 weeks pregnant. But I also still think I'm pretty. I like my face and I like my boobs lol.

I love my neighborhood and its location in proximity to the rest of the city. But I hate my house. And I miss Pittsburgh. I really, really miss living in Pittsburgh.

I'm not exactly where I thought I would be at this age, but I'm not horribly far from it either. I see good and bad in a lot of my life so I'm trying really hard to focus on the good.

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

• Options
     I'm applying to grad schools for next fall to get a Ph.D. in history.
    So will you be getting your master's and Ph.D. at once?  Like is a master's/Ph.D. combo. program?
  • Options
    sonflower1427sonflower1427 member
    edited October 2013
    Such a cool question, Kayla, and such interesting answers from everybody! Are you happy with your life? I am, even though I think of it as more joy than happiness, because there are definitely days that I am not happy, but there is still joy. Is this where you pictured yourself at this age/stage of your life? No, if you base that picture on what I thought in high school. I figured I would not get married until I was around 30 years old. I imagined I would work if/when I had children. Now, if you base the picture on what I thought after I met my future husband, then my life is very much like what we had decided we would do if/when we had children. We have always said, I would stay at home with our children, and that is what I do. I also homeschool them. I was an elementary school teacher before having children, and I really, really miss the art of teaching. Homeschool comes close, but it isn't quite the same as being able to influence a classroom of children. What is something you would do differently/wish you could change about your life? I wish I wasn't so perfectionistic. It causes me to feel unhappy when, in reality, everything is just fine, and if I would just accept that life is messy and not perfect, then I would feel better. I also wish I had gone ahead and gotten my Master's degree, because now I just don't have the time to fully devote to it (see above about perfectionism.) Are you okay with what size you are? Yes and no. I do not have a prominent chin so I feel like I always have a double chin, no matter how thin I am. I want to tone up my deflated belly, but I have such wide hips that I know that clothes won't fit like how they did before I had three kids. There are so many things I want to do, like open my own private school and possible be a doula or midwife. Now is not that time, though. I am called to be at home with my children, giving them my full attention, and that is really hard for me. I want to impact the world, and I realize that the greatest world impact I can have is to raise children who go out and do more than I could ever dream of. It's hard, though, because I simultaneously feel overwhelmed by staying at home and then feel like it's isn't enough, like I should be doing more than I already am. Ideally, I would love to have the balls to send some of the Christmas plays I have written to various publishers to see if any of them are good enough to be published. Edited to add spaces between paragraphs

Anniversary imageLilypie - (fQ49)

• Options
    And it still didn't add the paragraphs! What am I doing wrong!!

• Options
    Cool questions and interesting responses!

I'm happy. My husband is kind, loving, funny and hard-working and I love being a mom to two sweet boys. I also find my work rewarding and challenging. We are slowly, but surely, building a community of friends and neighbors in a new-to-us place.

I've always had a ton of ideas for what I could do in this life, and while I'm not unhappy with how things have developed, I do sometimes wonder about the paths not taken. I had a really adventurous streak in my late teens and 20s, and so sometimes I long for the ability to travel around the world or take long hikes in the backcountry - things I did then. I worked really really hard on my career. I feel very lucky to have had the chance to study with great mentors, earn a PhD, get a job in my exact field, and in a few weeks - have my first book published!

I wish we lived closer to family, especially since having kids, and especially as my parents age...but there aren't many jobs in my field or in DH's, and so scoring two in the same town was a real coup...and it will be hard to move from here.  I wish I didn't have to work so hard, but the hard work is part of being a good parent and a good worker.

I'd like to get more toned up and exercise more - and I'm working on it. But I also have limited self control on the ice cream/cookie/croissant front, and don't really want to change that! I'd like to be a fit working mom as a good example to my boys and because I feel more confident when I'm in better shape. When they're older, I want to go hiking more with them - I wish I spent more time outside with them than just doing chores and grocery shopping on weekends.
  • Options
    @sonflower - you should totally send some plays to a publisher! what do you have to lose?
  • Options
    @sonflower - you should totally send some plays to a publisher! what do you have to lose?
    That whole stupid perfectionistic thing kicks in, and if they were rejected, I would feel rejected, though I know that isn't the case. I just need to punch fear in the face (to borrow a Jon Acuff quote.) I don't even know where to start to do that. Any ideas?

• Options

That whole stupid perfectionistic thing kicks in, and if they were rejected, I would feel rejected, though I know that isn't the case. I just need to punch fear in the face (to borrow a Jon Acuff quote.) I don't even know where to start to do that. Any ideas?
    I'd start by figuring out who publishes plays like the ones you've written (maybe look at your old teaching curriculum or homeschooling resources)....they might be your best bets. See if there's anything on their websites about acquisitions...and get a contact name. As to battling the perfectionist tendencies, you could first share with someone you trust for honest feedback to bolster your confidence. I'd give yourself a deadline - send it out by x date, so that you do something with it. And if they reject it, you can still have your kids perform them at Christmas, right?!
  • Options

I'd start by figuring out who publishes plays like the ones you've written (maybe look at your old teaching curriculum or homeschooling resources)....they might be your best bets. See if there's anything on their websites about acquisitions...and get a contact name. As to battling the perfectionist tendencies, you could first share with someone you trust for honest feedback to bolster your confidence. I'd give yourself a deadline - send it out by x date, so that you do something with it. And if they reject it, you can still have your kids perform them at Christmas, right?!
    Yep. I write them for our church kids to use. I realized I'm really happy when I sit down and write. I'm going to have to pray about this one... Thank you for the encouragement!

• Options
    The degree to which I like where my life is now varies. I love my children with everything but I wish I was able to do more socially. My family may help us out when it comes to emergencies, but none of them will babysit so dh and I can go out together. We can't afford a sitter either so if the kids can't come places, one or none of us goes.

I love my job. I just wish we would get more funding so we would all make up to standard with pay in the area. Public schools make a ton more. I could also handle my dh getting a promotion.

I don't hate my body as much this time around. I just want to lose 15 more by thanksgiving for my ten year reunion. I'm trying to do this with no diet and exercise lol. I'm just eating what I did pp and hoping for the best.
  • Options
    queenbonequeenbone member
    edited October 2013
    I feel very fortunate, I am exactly where I wanted to be. I have my dream job (SAHM), living in my dream house (1890 Victorian), in the best city (Portland), married to the perfect person for me, with my perfect sibset (2 boys and 1 girl.) I wish I hadn't had to struggle with IF and that my dad wasn't dead, but other than that my life is pretty perfect.

ETA: Forgot the size question. I'm not worried about it right now. I was a 2/4 when I was in HS and college, then a 6/8 in my 20s. I'm a 12 now, but I've had 3 children, one of them extremely recently, so I'm content with what my body looks like right now. I hope to lose weight in the future once I have more time for myself. I think because everything else in my life is so good I don't really care about this part.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"