2nd Trimester

Non-Drying Hand Soap?

I'm suffering from really dry hands, and I don't even have my baby yet!  Its from teaching and a new puppy...  I've yet to find a soap that really cleans my hands and does not leave them very dry after.  I've tried using lotion right after the soap, but that does not work...  I've also tried the non-soap products like cetaphil, but I feel that they don't do a great job of killing germs, etc...  Any Advice, Recommendations would be AWESOME!  :)   

Re: Non-Drying Hand Soap?

• I live in Colorado and in the winter especially, my hands get so dry they bleed! It's awful! The only thing that really keeps my hands from drying out too much after washing them is the Bath and Body Works creamy antibacterial hand soaps. It feels like a lotion mixed with soap :-) I hope this helps and I would also love to hear other suggestions!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • kstar83kstar83 member
    edited September 2013
    i have chronically dry hands as well and feel your pain. I agree that for some reason the bath and body works ones don't dry near as much. i get the foaming anti bacterial ones. They smell great and are rather gentle.

I also use a hand cream at night that comes from a tube, I have no idea what brand it is or where it came from, sorry. But it is super thick and it helps a lot especially in winter. Regular lotion does very little for my hands.
  • Loading the player...
  • At night I sleep with gloves on and aquaphor.  It really helps but after washing my hands a few times in the morning, they start to dry up again!  
  • My DH has this problem and uses O'Keeffe's working hands every night before bed. It comes in a bright green tub and is sold at Bed Bath & Beyond and Lowes (and probably Amazon too). He swears by it and can definitely see a difference when he forgets to use it. Hope that helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • not sure about the soap, but I use Dr. Dandelion's hand balm to keep my hands moisturized. It's awesome stuff, and made of only 3 all natural ingredients, so safe for you and baby. I also use it on my belly to help with dryness and itchiness, and my feet.
    The tin is easy to transport (or have a couple, one at work, at home, in your bag) to reapply after really scrubbing your hands. It's a little oily at first, but soaks in fairly quickly.
    Also, not to be alarmist, but there's a lot of stuff in aquaphor, and not all of it is good. https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/brand/Aquaphor/

• Oh great, now I'm all worried about using aquaphor, as I've been using it for years...  My dermatologist said that is was ok to use.  I will look into the Dr. Dandelion's Hand Balm.  
  • Didn't mean to upset you! Aquaphor is probably fine - especially when you're not pregnant - it's certainly not poisonous. And the amount of anything iffy getting absorbed into your skin is very small. I just figure if there's an option that I know is safe, and the results are the same, I try to choose the safer option.
  • All soaps are goings to dry you out to some extent or another because you are washing away all your natural oils.

Try to wash with warm water (not hot) and get a good lotion that stays on even after washing, like the Aveno with the red lettering. It stays on for several washes. And don't scrub, just gentle wash. Any friction, soap & water temp gets germs off.....but remember you're washing good and bad germs away and we need a certain amount of both to ensure a strong immune system.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"