May 2014 Moms

Maternity Benefits

I found out today my insurance pays for 1 U/S per trimester. Is this crappy? I have no idea how to gauge these benefits.

Re: Maternity Benefits

• Not sure, but if you aren't over 35 and don't have any high risks issues, that seems like the norm.

BFP #1 - DS 2007

BFP #2 - 8/25/13 - mmc 10/10/13

BFP #3 - 1/14/14 - EDD 9/30/14

• That's the norm for me too.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • That seems like a lot, I can't imagine you would need three, assuming you have a normal pregnancy.
    Married my keeper ~ 7.14.07
    Furbaby joined us ~ 9.21.07
    First BFP ~ 7.4.11
    DD Born ~ 3.14.12
    Second BFP ~ Feb 2013 ~ EDD ~ 10.19.13
    Angel Baby born ~ 5.1.13

imageimage
  • sws684sws684 member
    edited September 2013
    Thank you guys! I had no idea!
  • Yup, we get a total of 2.  One for confirmation around 10 weeks and the anatomy scan around 20 weeks.  No more unless the doctor is concerned about something.
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My insurance covers 1 ultrasound per pregnancy.

dx:  Unexplained IF
     TTC since May 2011, 1 year trying, and then 3 TI, 2 IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 (May 2013):  Antagonist Protocol: 
    24R, 18M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 2 early blasts, no frosties = BFN
    IVF #2 (August 2013):  Lupron Stop Protocol: 
    28R, 23M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 1 partially hatched blast, 7 frosties = BFP
    EDD 5/23/14, blighted ovum (6w6d), D&C (8w6d)
    FET #1 (April 2014):  transferred 2 5d blasts = BFP
    C.J. born 01/09/15

• Correction: 1 U/S for 1st and 1 for 2nd tri.
  • Yup. I know I get 2 (dating and 20 week). I may get one more but can't remember for sure... I'm totally paying out of pocket (about $140) for a 4D in my 3rd trimester! There's a place around me that does it and you can get a teddy bear with a sound box of the babies heart.
  • That's how mine is too. One u/s first tri and one 2nd tri. I am contemplating on the 4D as we would have to pay out of pocket and the only place in Portland charges $180.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's what my insurance covers too unless there are complications. Then you get as many as you need. I lost count if how many I had last time.

For all of you considering the 4D, DO IT!!!!! It's so worth it. The quality of the images was way better than any of the medically necessary ultrasounds, we got to watch DS for an hour in there and the technician pointed out some fun things we didn't know. We also got a video of the US put to music. So cool!

• I'm worried about getting charged for unnecessary stuff during pregnancy. My dr ordered a u/s due to pain and spotting. Came back normal and try confirmed dates (5w6d) But now I've pushed back my first actual u/s to about 10 weeks.

Is it necessary to do another u/s in first tri or should I wait until 2nd tri now? I'm wondering if the stat one last week counts as a first tri or a complication.

imageimage

• sthomas1222sthomas1222 member
    edited October 2013
    Mine pays for 1 the entire pregnancy unless there's a medical need for others.

I personally will not ever do the entertainment u/s. All the OB offices here put out a notice reminding everyone that u/s are medical procedures & we don't know if there are long term effects from them or not especially with the newer technology. But that's just me, to each their own ;)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a great insurance plan and they only pay for 1 ultrasound the entire pregnancy unless more are medically necessary.  Really an ultrasound is needed for medical reasons, not just for you to see your little one. So it makes sense that they wouldn't have a blank coverage policy on them unless medically needed. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• I know it doesn't seem like a lot but having to go for multiple u/s bc of complications is no fun either ... I'm having my 4th u/s on Friday bc they originally thought I was extopic! (I'm only 7 weeks) .... But I'm also from Canada so none of it was out of pocket ... Silver lining
  • My doctor "took a peek' at my 6 week appt. She didn't bill our insurance, or really spend a great deal of time doing anything. I wouldn't mind a few more peeks!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I have no idea what my insurance (blue cross) is SUPPOSED to cover, but I had 5 or 6 last time, and they were all covered since the doctor ordered them.

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • I'm HR and I have to get a U/S every month...that's 45 $ every visit whereas if I was normal pregnancy I wouldn't have to pay anything for my visits & I think it's 3 u/s
  • Now you guys got me worried. I've got my DH calling his insurance right now to find out. :) All ours says online is that is covers 80% of prenatal visits. Nothing specifically about ultrasounds. We have Blue Cross PPO. Anyone else?

• Mommie05Mommie05 member
    edited October 2013
    I think that is pretty pricey. My insurance united health care covers all ultrasounds because its considered routine for the pregancy. After the $250 deductible and 10% have been paid. Combined totaling $538. Everything is covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"