August 2013 Moms
Options

Taking walks...

sucks!! lol Yesterday we went out for a walk. My goal was out for 30 minutes. LO had fed and had JUST fallen asleep. Welllll, that lasted about 10 minutes or so. He got fussy, then really fussy, so I finally had to pick him up. STILL fussed so I stopped in the shade of a tree and nursed him for a bit. Didn't bother covering; it was a small residential side street. We made it home a bit sweaty and tired from all that.

Fast forward to today.. Something possessed me to try again, this time to walk to the grocery store (1 mile away) for a few items. He fed REALLY well right before leaving, and was happy awake and had been awake for at lest 2 hours, so I figured we should be alright. About a quarter mile into it, he fell asleep. But then IN the store, he woke up, fussy, so I went to the bathroom and changed him. That seemed to help. We left and he was happy.. a few minutes later, he was screaming like crazy. Sooo, I picked him up and nursed him, again... Just 5 minutes or so, trying to hold him and push the stroller at the same time! Well, we made it home, he nursed some more and is finally back asleep.

Sorry this is long. LO will be 5 wks on Saturday. How do those of you that take walks do it?? Any tips? Any trouble? I like getting us out, but can't seem to get the timing down!

Re: Taking walks...

• Options
    Cocolamo1Cocolamo1 member
    edited October 2013
    I usually wear the Moby or Sling for back up if he gets fussy. Does your baby like to be in a carrier?

I am still using the car seat- stroller combo, so he usually likes being in the stroller. I would stick with short walks until he likes it more!

Edited typo
  • Options
    Maybe just keep trying to go on walks- start small and work up to longer ones. The first few times I took lo out in the stroller she wasn't a fan. Now we can go for walks for a long time and she's been great.
    image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cocolamo1 said:
    I usually wear the Moby or Sling for back up if he gets fussy. Does your baby like to be in a carrier? I am still using the car seat- stroller combo, so he usually likes being in the stroller. I would stick with short walks until he likes it more! Edited typo
    I have a ring sling, but the only carry I can do half-decent is for nursing. I'd like to learn some other carries with it, but so far, I stink at it! We use the carseat/stroller combo a lot, and he doesn't mind it (even better if he's not strapped in), and likes to look around too. Don't know whether it's the walks, the weather, or just random cluster feeding times?? Thanks!
  • Options
    I make sure to bring my moby. My LO always wakes up mid walk. So the only way I can ensure I get my full walk in is to feed him/change him and then wear him. He seems to love the moby.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    When she hated to car seat I wore her. I wear her to shop and now she's pretty okay with the car seat
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Sorry. My baby has had meltdowns in both the Ergo and the stroller. Same situation--full baby, no diaper, just a meltdown. 

I did something weird in Target the other day to help. I had her in the Ergo and played the white noise app on my phone while we shopped. It was super loud so it probably bothered other customers, but hey, baby was quiet!

• Options
    Sorry. My baby has had meltdowns in both the Ergo and the stroller. Same situation--full baby, no diaper, just a meltdown. 

I did something weird in Target the other day to help. I had her in the Ergo and played the white noise app on my phone while we shopped. It was super loud so it probably bothered other customers, but hey, baby was quiet!

Thats awesome about Target! haha I might have to try that! I sing a lot to him, but try to keep it down at stores. :-P But a happy/quiet baby is important!
  • Options
    afrochick09afrochick09 member
    edited October 2013
    LO usually falls asleep either being carried or in her stroller. I always change her and feed her before. As soon as she finishes burping we're out the door. If it's a longer walk I'll pack a bottle just in case.
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• Options
    natskonatsko member
    edited October 2013
    If it's just a walk I babywear and when he gets fussy I bounce around every step, probably look like an idiot but oh well, and we're on the street so if he stays fussy and I can't calm him it doesn't matter much because people aren't really around to notice, when we're out in public in stores loud white noise is better than screaming baby
  • Options
    Ditto the baby wearing. baby loves it and I feel like it gives me a better workout.

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto on the white noise app. I play the Heavy Rain on almost full volume & stick it on there with him. It works a lot of the time. I also play it through the Bluetooth in my car if he gets fussy.
  • Options
    Update: we just returned from another successful Target trip. She was in the ergo and my white noise app was on full blast.

At checkout a mom with 2 boys about 7 and 9 asked "Is that the ocean?"

Me: "Uh...yeah. Gotta keep her calm while we shop."

Mom, pointing to 7 yo, "Yeah, that was this one. He was the same way."

Love other Moms who get it!

• Options
    White noise app in the car is genius!.   My LO loves walks. The bumpier the better.  I took her off road and she passed out instantly. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Luckily going outside and especially for a walk in the stroller is something both my kids really like, so we go around the block at least once a day. I usually plan any outing for right after a feeding. I get everything else ready, then feed, burp, and change DS. He eats every 2 hours so we don't have much time. We live sort of in the country so we have a gravel drive to go down before we get to the street and then the pavement is rough so it bounces him around and calms him if he's fussy. I also wiggle the stroller side to side as I push if he starts crying and that seems to help. Good luck!
  • Options
    I've only taken one walk, it's still fairly warm here in the early mornings/ day time. But it was a 3 mile walk both ways. I fed DS right before and then put him in his stroller, which is the basinet on the bugaboo which I think helps since he hates his carseat if I had a snap n go i think he would hate it. But I tested him out at first just by doing short walks to the mail box and what not and he loves being outside. We took a paci and my ring sling just in case but he was just laying awake most of the time. Had to give him the paci once or twice but he'd just suck a little and spit it out and be ok. Fell asleep before getting to the store- was picking up my bc- woke up in the store, pushes him around, changed him and just repeated the process on the way home. Though he did start getting hungry towards the end but he made it until we got home. I think it was harder on me, my whole pelvis hurt after the walk and I was walking like I had just had another baby for two days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"