Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Caffeine and TTC

So I'm sitting here with my 3 large double doubles that I grab to get me through the morning (:S I know, that's pretty bad), and got to thinking, does caffeine have any effect on TTC?

Is anybody else a serious addict? Do you have plans to cut it cold turkey as soon as a BFP, or just cut back to the recommended level during pregnancy? Have you already cut back?

Re: Caffeine and TTC

• Options
    I have no plans to cut out caffeine unless I am actually pregnant, and even then I will still have my morning cup (within the recommended levels)....
    My Babies!
    Tried for one full year before we got our BFP!

What I want is what I've not got, but what I need is all around me -DMB

BFP: 11/30/2013 EDD: 8/14/2014

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have personally already cut back and only drink one caffeinated beverage a day now. Occasional chocolate too of course :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always have a morning coffee, some days I will have a second, like today when I'm on the early shift!  But I'm not someone who couldn't survive without it.  I will cut back to the recommended amount whenever I'm KU, but I'm have no intentions of stopping until then.  I think it's a personal choice, and I choose to keep enjoying my morning coffees :)
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used to drink a lot of caffeinated coffee, but I started to switch to decaf and 50/50 blends because I was getting really bad headaches. Now I only drink one cup of caffeinated coffee a day and I probably won't change that it if I get pregnant. I love DD iced coffee and the amount of caffeine in that is lower than the limit recommended during pregnancy anyway.

******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Options

I know I will need to cut back massively after BFP. Frightened of the withdrawal while pregnant. Crap, I think I need to give up some of my chemical happy. @milagros315, when switching to decaf, did you find the transition difficult? Were you tired, grumpy, and miserable? Or did you cut it out slowly enough to not be that bad?

• Options

I know I will need to cut back massively after BFP. Frightened of the withdrawal while pregnant. Crap, I think I need to give up some of my chemical happy. @milagros315, when switching to decaf, did you find the transition difficult? Were you tired, grumpy, and miserable? Or did you cut it out slowly enough to not be that bad?

No I don't remember it being too bad. Like I said, I had headaches from the caffeine so I actually stopped getting them when I cut back. I think I started off just having fewer cups of caffeinated and then drinking decaf later in the day. Then when I needed a new bag, I bought the 50/50 blend and then full decaf after that. Now I usually have caffeinated when I wake up and then decaf in the afternoon.

So that was my strategy. Coffee is serious business.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Options
    I have already cut back the amount of caffeine I have. I will still drink caffeine once I'm KU. I get really bad migraines and I am allergic to pretty much every OTC pain deliver out there so I drink caffeine and take Advil, the only pain med I'm not allergic to. When I was pregnant with DS I had migraines almost daily so caffeine was the only thing I could use to help conquer them.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went cold turkey with DD and it was rough! I am trying to cut back now as I am a big caffine drinker.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • Options
    mak7788mak7788 member
    edited October 2013

Doctors usually recommend it, but I know plenty of women that went ahead and drank some coffee TTC and while pregnant and were totally fine. Last time I tried to quit cold turkey I had horrible migraine and cold sweats. I now try to keep it down to one cup of coffee a day, and 50/50 on the weekends. If I HAVE to have coffee in the afternoon, I try to do a cup of decalf tea. I think for me, having a hot beverage reminds me of coffee and wakes me up.

ETA: @Anathera: Congrats, on cutting back that much. It's no easy task!

Married 7/21/12

Off bcp and ttc 9/1/13

bfp 7/20/14, m/c 7/23

will ttc again 8/14

cat animated GIF

• Options
    I have always continued to drink 1 cup of coffee thru my pregnancies. I did cut diet soda already due to the artificial sweetener. Caffeine helps with my migraines. Cutting cold turkey will trigger headaches. 
  • Options
    I thought you were allowed the equivalent to 2 cups a day? I could be wrong. As a hardcore coffee drinker I won't be slowing down until my Dr. tells me to. One in the morning and usually one to get me over the 2PM slump. I get a killer headache without my morning cup.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I still drink 2-3 cups of coffee and the occasional diet soda - try not to though because of the artificial sweetener. I have no plans of giving up my coffee when I am KU.

hitched 5/2009 -- Me 34, DH 39

TTC #1:
    dx with POCS 7/2009
    TTC on & off since 1/2012
    September 2012; Surprise BFP - MC
    June - December 2013; Clomid/Femara + Trigger + TI = BFN x 4
    April - May 2016; Femara + TI = BFN x 2
    July 2016 - December 2016; Gonal-F + Ovidren + IUI = BFN x 3
    May 2018 - IVF #1; 8 snowbabies. transferred 1 embryo - CP
    August 2018 - FET #1 -- Healthy Baby Boy  <3

TTC #2:
    July 2020 FET; beta 1 310, beta 2 1278

• Options
     I have one 12 oz can of Diet Coke over ice per day. It's a big step for me, I've been as high as 4 a day, and for a while was really stuck on two a day. I've finally cut down to one and I think that's a good place to stay. I probably get some incidental caffeine from chocolate (I really refuse to freak about caffeine in my food unless it's eating chocolate covered espresso beans), and I sometimes will have unsweetened iced black tea when we go out to dinner or have a cup of hot tea at home. Very occasionally I will have a more dessert than coffee beverage from Starbucks or have an iced coffee. I'm probably not going to change a whole lot.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've cut it out completely now for 6 months and no luck...definitely not necessary to do obviously.
    Me:34 H:33 
    Temping since Nov 2012, off BC since July 2011
    SA: Beyond Awesome
    CD3 BW (AMH:2.7, estrogen high:106) , low progesterone 7DPO
    OB diagnosed "weak ovulation"
    IUI #1 Jan 2014- 5mg letrozole, m/c 6w3d, betas slow to decrease
    IUI #2 Mar 2014- 5mg letrozole BFN
    IVF#1 Apr/May 2014 16R/12M/8F.  Transferred 2 blasts, 3 on ice

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I cut back in caffeine a lot. I don't think it is completely necessary. I do think cutting back would make it easier to cut back when you do get pregnant. But I do say everything in moderation.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm not big on caffeine. The extent to my caffeine intake before I got pregnant was pop and the occasional French vanilla when roll up was on. When I got pregnant, I switched to caffeine free pepsi and that's what I still drink because I like the taste. The key is moderation like with anything. Cut down if you feel you need to.

• Options
    I'm not a coffee drinker or into caffeine (it makes my heart race and I have a major crash after-just not worth it for me). I have read that cutting out caffeine is recommended when TTC.  But who knows. Now they are saying it's bad, but I'm sure in our parents' generation they drank all the coffee they wanted and did what they wanted and they still got pregnant!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was a big soda drinker, and pretty much cut it out completely once we started TTC.  I had headaches for a few days but it wasn't that bad.  Now, I usually only have a soda if it's a special occasion/we are out for dinner. (Yeah, I know...party animal here.)  The last soda I had was 2 weeks ago while out for dinner, and the soda before that was 1 month ago while out for dinner.  I'm getting to the point where I think I could pass it up completely though.  I'm glad I did because it's not just that caffeine that I wanted to cut out, it's also the aspartame.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Tickerimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"