Breastfeeding

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog.

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

2. What food(s) have you been missing the most?

3. Any new snacks or recipes you'd like to share?

4. Any other burning questions you'd like answered?

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

• 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? Good and good. 18 mo check up was last week and we received a referral to an allergist, since he gets rashy and gassy from so many random foods. Hopefully we'll find out if he has any true allergies and if not, allow him to have a wider variety of foods.

2. What food(s) have you been missing the most? Pizza and cookies. I've tried some vegan cookie recipes and they're just not the same. I felt so guilty about the pizza a couple of weeks ago I probably won't have any more until after the allergy testing.

3. Any new snacks or recipes you'd like to share?Split peas are really filling and good for you. I just cook up a big batch with some chicken stock. DS loves it too! Yellow split peas are yummier than green, IMO.

4. Any other burning questions you'd like answered? Has anyone else seen an allergist? Our pedi said there's a couple of different tests they might do so I'm not sure what to expect. I need to do some research before we go so I'm prepared with my arsenal of questions!

• sthomas1222sthomas1222 member
    edited October 2013
    I have an 8mo DD wet found our at 6 months she has MPI causing her significant reflux. She was up every 45 minutes at night screaming & taking an hour to console. She was spotting up worse than ever. Our ped brushed us off (saw a sick visit doctor not our normal doc) saying I need to let her CIO even if she vomits 0.0
    I hit the parking lot running & immediately called a GI. Doubled our dose of Zantac & tested her poop for blood (positive of course). Cut dairy, spitting up stopped within a couple of days & haven't looked back. Still haven't gotten her to sleep in her crib tho. We have transitioned from a nearly vertical swing to a RnP lol.

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?
    I'm exhausted. We found out the day before DD turned 8 months that were pregnant again. My supply had tanked. :( living off donor milk for now but having trouble finding DF milk :( I feel guilty for wishing my SIL ends up DF at her GI appt next week just so I can have steady donations... so far our donor milk has truly been DF. And hey poop is no longer pellets yay! My sns should be here tomorrow so hoping she takes her supplements that way from now on.

2. What food(s) have you been missing the most? I want whole milk & cookies, chick fil a milkshakes, & a local ice cream place's swirl cone...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry, I'm a little late to the check in!

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?  We had been doing great, but LO has had diarrhea for like 2 weeks now.  Pedi just keeps saying to keep her hydrated, give her probiotics, and let it run its course.

2. What food(s) have you been missing the most?  I think ice cream.  I tried some coconut milk ice cream, and it was okay, but the texture was wrong, and it will just never be a blizzard.

3. Any new snacks or recipes you'd like to share?  I pretty much live off of lara bars.

4. Any other burning questions you'd like answered?  So LO used to always get a red bumpy rash on her abdomen any time I had hidden dairy that I didn't realize.  She has now been on WCM for a month, and all has been fine.  But suddenly, she's had diarrhea for 2 weeks, and she has a rash over her whole abdomen.  The only new food I know of is tofu, but she eats edamame all the time, so I wouldn't think she has a soy issue.  Any ideas?  Could it be NOT food related?

TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • @sthomas1222 welcome! It sounds like you have had quite a rough time! We didn't get my son's issues figured out until he was 7 mo, though his reactions weren't as severe as your DD's. Congrats on the pregnancy, even though it has made feeding your DD more difficult! I'm glad she is doing better and I hope you are able to transition her to a supplement soon. Where are you located? I have a little bit of milk in the freezer that I'd be willing to donate, but I'm not sure how far I could send it. And if you need any advice on gentle sleep training, my DS has been quite the wakeful boy, so I have some experience there too and I'd be happy to share. :) Feel free to send me a PM (give me a call out so I know to look for it, I don't regularly check my PMs).

@TJ1979 Gosh, the rash on the tummy makes it sound like a reaction to food, doesn't it? Has the pedi seen the rash? Could you ask for an allergist referral? Maybe she is still a little sensitive to dairy, and she's had a little too much? I don't know, I hope someone else can offer some experience! I hope she feels better soon.

• Thanks @rocknrollfriend.  I thought it sounded food-related too.  The pedi hasn't seen it yet, but he never really believed me that she was MPI, even though our lives completely changed when I quit dairy.  There are a lot of reasons I really like this pedi, but a few reasons I don't completely trust him.  I thought we were doing great, but maybe a referral to an allergist is a good idea.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Could it be eggs? That is toward the top of the list on the common allergens list. My ds had bloody diarrhea when I had something with a lot of egg in it. (But not with things that had a little bit of egg). This happened both when he was 2 months and when we tried to reintroduce it. I would recommend keeping a food journal with how much of something you or he is eating. Like someone else said maybe it's too much of something. Good luck!
    TJ1979 said:

Sorry, I'm a little late to the check in!

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?  We had been doing great, but LO has had diarrhea for like 2 weeks now.  Pedi just keeps saying to keep her hydrated, give her probiotics, and let it run its course.

2. What food(s) have you been missing the most?  I think ice cream.  I tried some coconut milk ice cream, and it was okay, but the texture was wrong, and it will just never be a blizzard.

3. Any new snacks or recipes you'd like to share?  I pretty much live off of lara bars.

4. Any other burning questions you'd like answered?  So LO used to always get a red bumpy rash on her abdomen any time I had hidden dairy that I didn't realize.  She has now been on WCM for a month, and all has been fine.  But suddenly, she's had diarrhea for 2 weeks, and she has a rash over her whole abdomen.  The only new food I know of is tofu, but she eats edamame all the time, so I wouldn't think she has a soy issue.  Any ideas?  Could it be NOT food related?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • T1. I'm fine. DS has a cold, is teething, and got three mosquito bites on his face and I think he is allergic to them bc they swell up as big as quarters!
    2. Cheese, nutella, and ice cream.
    3. I'm not that great at cooking but I've been making a low mein of sorts. I cook spaghetti, chicken, carrots, and broccoli. Then I warm some sesame oil and mix the ingredients in that. And finally sprinkle some garlic salt on it when it is done.
    4. Which nondairy nonsoy milks do you think are most nutritious and why?

@rockandrollfriend we gave seen an allergist and he totally contradicts what my nephew's allergist says. Our allergist said the field of allergy is like that and that recommendations are constantly changing. We didn't have any actual tests done bc he said there are a lot of false negatives and false positives. I did some research and the error rate was one in which I wasn't willing to put DS through the testing bc he hates goingto the Dr let alone blood being drawn and the like.
  • sthomas1222sthomas1222 member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks everyone! Today was a good day, she nursed well & didn't want any of her extra bottles... But without adult supervision (hubby was out of town for a couple of days) I broke down in my crazy pregnancy state & ordered a pizza! God help us! This is the first time I've slipped. :( I'm not telling DH so that we have a completely unbiased opinion to gauge her mood & reaction. I hope it's not too bad. We trialed goats milk a few weeks ago & while the spitting up started again she wasn't cranky or extra refluxy from it. fingers crossed!

@rocknrollfriend I did PM you

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Could it be eggs? That is toward the top of the list on the common allergens list. My ds had bloody diarrhea when I had something with a lot of egg in it. (But not with things that had a little bit of egg). This happened both when he was 2 months and when we tried to reintroduce it. I would recommend keeping a food journal with how much of something you or he is eating. Like someone else said maybe it's too much of something. Good luck!
    Sorry, I'm a little late to the check in!

Thanks @brideinsummer04.  I don't think it's eggs, she used to eat scrambled eggs all the time.  She is suddenly refusing them though.  I'll keep an eye on it.  She still has a really large rash over her entire hip, but the rash on her abdomen is no longer visible, but slightly noticeable to the touch.  Her DC is really bad about keeping track of what she actually eats though, so that makes this very frustrating!
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Thanks everyone! Today was a good day, she nursed well & didn't want any of her extra bottles... But without adult supervision (hubby was out of town for a couple of days) I broke down in my crazy pregnancy state & ordered a pizza! God help us! This is the first time I've slipped. :( I'm not telling DH so that we have a completely unbiased opinion to gauge her mood & reaction. I hope it's not too bad. We trialed goats milk a few weeks ago & while the spitting up started again she wasn't cranky or extra refluxy from it. fingers crossed! @rocknrollfriend I did PM you

back 'atcha! I see the new Bump notifies you when you have messages, awesome!

I can't imagine being on this diet while pregnant, that must be so hard! I hope your LO is ok with your little slip up. We've all had them from time to time. :)

• T1. I'm fine. DS has a cold, is teething, and got three mosquito bites on his face and I think he is allergic to them bc they swell up as big as quarters! 2. Cheese, nutella, and ice cream. 3. I'm not that great at cooking but I've been making a low mein of sorts. I cook spaghetti, chicken, carrots, and broccoli. Then I warm some sesame oil and mix the ingredients in that. And finally sprinkle some garlic salt on it when it is done. 4. Which nondairy nonsoy milks do you think are most nutritious and why? @rockandrollfriend we gave seen an allergist and he totally contradicts what my nephew's allergist says. Our allergist said the field of allergy is like that and that recommendations are constantly changing. We didn't have any actual tests done bc he said there are a lot of false negatives and false positives. I did some research and the error rate was one in which I wasn't willing to put DS through the testing bc he hates goingto the Dr let alone blood being drawn and the like.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. His appt is next Friday so I have some time to look into it. Also I think this first appt might just be a consultation, not testing yet. My DS hates the dr too, he cries when they take his temp under his arm!
  • @brideinsummer The Toddler 411 book has a good comparison chart for cow milk and alternatives; it includes goat milk, coconut, almond, soy, and rice, I think. It doesn't include hemp, which I know a lot of people like the best. I think goat milk looks like a good alternative for us, because DS gets rashy from almond, hemp, and coconut milk. Rice is what I've been using for baking and on my cereal but I wouldn't give it to DS as it's pretty much just empty calories.
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    edited October 2013

@rocknrollfriend 

We went to an allergist with DS1.  I won't lie, it wasn't fun, but they really did try their best to make it the least unpleasant as they could.  We chose to do the prick test where they put tiny drops of common allergens on the ends of tiny needles & poke LO's skin with the needles. Then you wait like 15 minutes and the mark down which items caused a swollen bump larger than a certain size.  Those will be the "positive" results. 

As PP said, there can be false positives and false negatives for LOs, but the incidence of those decreases at a year and then again at 18 months.  So we decided for us it was worth it at a year.  I'm so thankful we went because it turned out DS1 has a kind of rare allergy where he's not allergic to eggs, but is allergic to fertilized eggs.  So he can't get a flu shot or eat eggs in certain countries like Japan where it's common to eat fertilized eggs.

Anyway just wanted to wish you luck & let you know that while it wasn't fun, we were glad we did it with DS1. 

image imageimageimage

• Thanks rocknrollfriend i'll check it out!

@brideinsummer The Toddler 411 book has a good comparison chart for cow milk and alternatives; it includes goat milk, coconut, almond, soy, and rice, I think. It doesn't include hemp, which I know a lot of people like the best. I think goat milk looks like a good alternative for us, because DS gets rashy from almond, hemp, and coconut milk. Rice is what I've been using for baking and on my cereal but I wouldn't give it to DS as it's pretty much just empty calories.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"