Illinois Babies
Options

Newly Pregnant Question: How to transport a Chicago baby?

Only 5 weeks here with our first baby and VERY excited. (Also moody, sleepy, sore, and dying to tell people at the same time!)

As a downtown-living Chicagoan with no car, a Divvy pass, CTA card and lots o' walking shoes, I'm starting to wonder how we'll carry baby around the city with us.  

Specifically:

1. Car-less?
Any other Chicago moms who don't have cars out there? 

2. Strollers?
I have an illogical fear that our tiny apartment entryway will be filled with strollers of different types: running stroller, easy fold stroller, 3 wheel stroller.  Can we just have one?  Or none?  What's your stroller strategy?

3. Baby Carriers?
I know you can bring a baby in a stroller on a CTA bus, but can you carry one in a body carrier?  I know I'm naive here, but it seems so much easier to use the baby carrier than to lugg a stroller up & down El stop staircases, stores, etc.  What do other city moms use?  And if the baby carrier is the way to go, is it legal or safe to be in taxis without an official car seat?

4. Ice?
Any rules/ advice about strollers/ baby carrier usage in winter months when there's ice?  Seems like the baby sling could be a dangerous option if we were to fall. Or is that too doomsday?

THANKS!  

Re: Newly Pregnant Question: How to transport a Chicago baby?

• Options
    Is it possible for you to buy a car, even if it's a small one? We are expecting our first one too and I just don't see how we could function with a baby without a car. Errands are going to become more complex carting a little one around, let alone without a car. As far as strollers go, my goal is to get a travel system so I can take it from the car to the stroller without removing the baby from the seat. We have a condo, so space is limited, so if I can get away with one stroller, I'm doing it. You can totally bring a baby on the train with a carrier, but I would be worried about exposing it to all those germs. 

Good luck with everything! Where do you live? We are in Lincoln Park.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    (gulp) we could buy one, but tbh that's one of my favorite things about living downtown (Loop, btw).  no need to pay for parking, insurance, find a parking spot, etc... But I think you're right - carrying baby and baby bag and groceries?  I have been looking for blogs to see if any other Chicago or city moms are car-less and survive with only 1 stroller -but haven't found anyone writing about it yet.  I'll probably give it a shot car-less and a week into baby life will be screaming at my husband, "why don't we have a car?" lol.   I still want to try though. :)  
    Good luck to u too!  Congrats!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in Streeterville, and I'm still waiting for LO to arrive, so I realize that everything I'm currently planning on may go out the window once reality hits. 

For now, we have a car, but we plan to sell it in the next month or two. 

We also live in a tiny apartment and aren't keen on cluttering up the place with more baby gear than we absolutely need to have.  Given that, we're opting to skip the stroller for now and just tote LO around in a Moby.  We'll reconsider the stroller issue come spring.  

The last time I fell on ice was a decade or so, and I was running to make it to class on time (and not paying attention to the ground I was covering), so as long as I'm careful about where I step this winter, I think we'll be fine.    

As for using only a baby carrier in a taxi, I know I've read how dangerous it is, but I'm not sure the legality of it.  The risk alone is enough that I'll be opting out of taxi (or any other car that with without a car seat) rides with LO.    

I know that the way H & I are approaching mobility with an infant isn't practical for most people, but we live downtown, and have just about everything we need within walking distance, so it works for us. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • Options
    Congrats!!  We are on the NW side and we have a car (with a garage space) but we take CTA all the time.  Here's our plan:

1. Car-less?
    Like I said, we have a car, but I have a lot of car-less friends who use zip car when they need to.

2. Strollers?
    I'd look at the uppa baby vista or the city mini.  Both are sturdy enough to do the heavy lifting of a jogging stroller, all-terrain etc.  We're going to get an easy fold stroller too.  We can store them in the trunk of the car/garage space.  Before you purchase, check out how heavy they are and take that into consideration especially if you have to lug up the stairs.  Also, don't plan on leaving them in a common area or on a porch as the nicer strollers get stolen like crazy.

3. Baby Carriers?
    Probably depends on the type of trip as to whether or not you'd want to bring a stroller on CTA or if you could get away with just the carrier all day long.  Would the carrier be comfortable for a long trip? But yeah, taking a stroller on a crowded bus or train will at the very least get you death stares.  Commercial vehicles, including public transit and taxis are exempt from the passenger vehicle laws requiring car seats.  However, I would NEVER plan to take a child in a taxi without one.  It's a personal choice, but even fender benders can result in head and spinal trauma for anyone riding in a car.  If you visit the Rehab Institute of Chicago, you'll never not wear a seat belt or not properly restrain your child again.  So, in my opinion, is it legal to put the child in a taxi without a car seat, yes.  Is it safe? never.

4. Ice
    I'd think this is common sense.  You're probably just as likely to slip on a slick or uneven sidewalk as you are on the ice.  If you've got a stroller, those are pretty heavy and would be able to stay upright as long as your child is secured with the safety restrains and you don't use it to try to break your own fall.  Obviously, it's a little more risky with the carrier, but I'd think you'd be smart to invest in good boots with traction and try to avoid the ice as much as possible than to worry about needing a car to get around because it's slick.

Check out Lucie's List and Baby Bargains for a lot of the safety information on the carriers and car seats.  Baby Bargains has a forum page where people might have more insight about which models work best in urban settings. I found both websites super helpful when creating my registry.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When DS was a baby, we lived in the Gold Coast. We had a car but didn't use it much.

For grocery shopping, I'd take the stroller and hang reuse able grocery bags from the handles with carribeaners, and I'd just buy as much as I could fit in them. So small but frequent grocery trips. I actually liked it better than shopping without the stroller, because I could push everything home without having to carry heavy bags! We had an elevator though. Everyone I know who doesn't have an elevator has started using Peapod.

You can definitely take a baby on public transit in a carrier. It worked great for us for at least the first year, and you can figure out what works for you after then. We'd just take the stroller if we were going to be out for longer than I'd want to wear DS, or if we were going to a restaurant or something before he could use a high chair. I also started walking with the stroller more, and taking the CTA less.

For strollers, we had the City Mini for walking around, and when DS was 3 months old, we also got a Maclaren Triumph for taking on public transit. It has a shoulder strap and is very light, so with a bit of practice, it wasn't too hard to take up and down the stairs of the L with a baby and a diaper bag.

You'll also certainly get to know which L stops are handicap accessible, and will probably use those ones much more often. All Brown Line stops are accessible, which is awesome, as are many stops in the Loop for other lines.

It's not so hard to get around with a baby in the city. Definitely good to have a couple options, like stroller vs carrier, because different trips will be more convenient with each.
    Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We also live in the city, near the south loop. We're still expecting our first, so some of our plans might change with reality, but here's what we have so far: 

1. Car-less?We do not own, but we do zipcar. Mainly for errands (primarily groceries) but also for the occasional friends/family visits to the 'burbs. One thing I learned is that you can use a carseat (at least 99% of them out on the market anyway) without the base, so long as you know how to properly install without the base. The base is an ease-of-use feature, so you don't necessarily have to tote it around if you know how to do it.

2. Strollers?
    Our plan is just to get one stroller. We will use the carseat with the stroller when the kid is an infant. The two at the top of our list are the City Mini (Easy one hand fold and relatively light weight) or the Uppa Cruz. I like the features of the Cruz, and it has a decent fold, but not a convenient way to carry it when it's folded, so I'm leaning towards the city, just because I think I'm really going to need that easy fold/carry. We'll buy the adapters for the carseat and proceed from there.

3. Baby Carriers?
    Whether I carry the baby or use the stroller will depend on the type of task/errand I'm running. If I'm just going out for a short period, I'll just carry the kid. If I'm out for a longer trip or need to lug around some extra bags, I'll bring the stroller. My plan is to still be prepared to fold the stroller whenever I get on the CTA, so I can avoid being *that* person (at least during busy periods!). So when our kid is an infant, I'll unsnap the carseat and fold the stroller and tote both onto the bus/train. 

As far as taxis, I don't think it's worth the risk to ride without a carseat. It's a car, therefore you should probably use a carseat. I'm not sure what it is about cabs that make people think they're immune to an accident (like how people don't buckle themselves up... I don't get it), but I digress. Usually I take cabs in one of two circumstances: 1) I'm going somewhere further away/harder to get to by transit or B) I'm out late and transit is unreliable. I think B will be out of the picture for a while. For A - If it's a place far enough to go to that would require a taxi, I'll probably use my stroller/carseat combo and then I can just strap in the carseat, should the need arise for me to take a taxi (I have to learn how to do this, and I'm hoping it's not awful). Of course, this will change once the kid gets too big for the infant seat, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.  

4. Ice?
    No advice on this. Planning to just figure it out. 

I'm really going for the less-is-more philosophy.
  • Options
    Zip Car is a great suggestion :), just make sure you know how to properly install the car seat!!

We don't live in the city but I don't think you'll need more than one stroller, unless you'd like more than one. 

And the backpack idea is also a great idea. Frees up your hands to carry baby and whatever else.
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options

Definitely consider doing a back pack! I live an hour outside the city, but DH and I take the kiddos to cubbies games and all sorts of activities in the city. We ride the train in and then go on buses and walk.

DH takes charge of our 3 year old, and I have baby in a front pack carrier. We each also take a back pack. One with food, water, blanket, camera, w.e. and the other is fully equipped diaper bag for the day.

Wearing a carrier AND the back pack is very convenient, especially keeping my hands free!

If you're going to do this AND shop, it is possible. As a new mom, there are a million things you think you might need while towing baby out of the house. The diaper bag is filled with crap, most of which you will not use on that particular outing. Once you've had some experience in leaving the house with baby, you will be more confident in leaving for an hour with just some food, a few diapers, and a small package of wipes.

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• Options
    You can absolutely go car-less with a baby in Chicago. It may be a challenge at first but once you get the hang of it, it is easy. As for only getting by with one stroller...I don't know about that. We live in the NW side and we have a car that we hardly ever use. We like to walk and save $ on gas. And really there is no need to drive. Everything is within walking distance. We have 3 kids and a double stroller and we can get by without a car 95% of the time. The only time we use our car are for pediatrician visits and the occasional run to Costco. Packing a light diaper bag is key. As a FTM it is easy to pack an extra pair/set of whatever just in case. And then before you know it the diaper bag weighs more than the baby. Once you master taking only what you need, the rest is easy.

In my experience, taking a baby on the CTA is easier with a baby carrier. Yes, they allow strollers, but CTA has a new rule about strollers. CTA employees will ask you to fold up your stroller when the bus/train is full or if it is rush hour. Try holding a baby and folding your stroller at the same time while the bus/train is moving. Not fun. Carrying the baby in a car seat while on the bus/train is easy when they are newborn and weigh next to nothing. Not so easy when they're over 5-6 mos and your arm feels like it's going to fall off. As another poster said, a backpack instead of a traditional diaper bag makes traveling easier.

I think a good sturdy all-terrain stroller (like the one you get when you buy a travel system) is a good stroller to start off with. When baby gets bigger, a good umbrella stroller is soooo much easier. The big strollers are super bulky and heavy. Just make sure it has a tray for sippy cups and a reclining seat if baby wants to nap. But do not get rid of the big stroller when you are ready to switch to an umbrella stroller. I still use the big stroller when I do groceries because I can throw the groceries in the big basket.

As for ice and snow...well it sucks pushing a stroller thru snow when someone chooses not to shovel or when Streets & San pile up the snow at the crosswalks. But it is totally doable. Our local school is a block away. When I have to pick up my ds from school, I take my other boys in a stroller in all kinds of weather. It makes no sense to drive a block. I got one of those plastic cover thingies for rainy days. And I pushed the stroller thru snow in the winter.

Just remember that some people have no choice. They can't afford a car and public transportation is their ONLY choice. If they can get by without a car, so can you.
  • Options
    I'm 12 wks and we're carless in the city as well. We use iGo and I hope to be able to get around for everything without a car. We've talked about getting one though, only because we're avid cyclist and mountain bikers and want to be able to go to trails and races...and with a baby coming our chances for hitching rides with others is pretty much gone! 
    image image

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My latest day-dream is wondering if we can do it without a stroller at all.  I just lived in Tanzania for a year, and no one has strollers there! They just wrap up their babies on their backs or fronts and carry on, carry on.  Does anyone know any families who don't have any strollers and just carry their babies in wraps/ slings/ carriers all the time?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"