Toddlers: 24 Months+

Can't make up her mind... Anyone else's kid?

Hi. These terrible twos are getting tougher by the day, by the hour, by the minute. Among the tantrums, I have been dealing with my daughter not being able to make up her mind. I will offer her a snack, like "grapes or string cheese?" She'll choose grapes, and I will give them to her, and then she'll start melting down "I don't want grapes!!" so then I will take them back and then she'll keep screaming "I want my grapes" and we will go back and fourth about the damn grapes for a good 5 minutes before she decides to eat them. She never once mentions the string cheese that was offered though. She does this in many situations as well: bubbles vs. no bubbles in the bath, socks vs no socks with her shoes, blanket over her lap vs no blanket during story time. It drives me nuts, and her volume level when she screams is through the roof. Does anyone else have a toddler who does this? It is really wearing on my patience that is already running thin because I am also pregnant... Any advice helps, thanks ladies! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can't make up her mind... Anyone else's kid?

• Some kids are just like this TBH.

And contrary to popular belief, not all kids can handle choices well at that age. My kid is one of them. As a result, I just give choices when I have time to deal with it or I really don't care.

My kid can really only handle making 3 or 4 choices a day right now (Shoes, what toys she takes to nap, pjs and milk/water) so I do the rest.

• Sounds like my house every morning. "No, not that shirt, I want Elmo shirt...noooo, not Elmo shirt, I want dinosaur shirt!" Getting him to day care requires major manipulation & negotiating these days, but I love him anyway, haha!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• Loading the player...
  • DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It is interesting to hear this--because my daughter is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum---she NEVER changes her mind. AT ALL. 

Once her mind is set, there is no negotiating, convincing, distracting, her. It doesn't work. My mom was watching her today and by accident she mentioned play-doh--not realizing she didn't have any. Well ALL day long--every 10 minutes, Reese would go: "Play playdoh now?"

My MIL laughs because if we go to the store and want to pick her up something, if she doesn't want it---she will say no. If you buy it--she won't play with it--it sits in the corner gathering dust. She just doesn't change her mind at all. 

Stubborness is not always a good thing either---there must be a happy medium. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Alcohol. It's all I have.

• Thanks for the advice, ladies. @julesdiane- I wish! I am pregnant though :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"