Stay at Home Moms
Options

Cost of clothes

2»

Re: Cost of clothes

• Options
    KC_13 said:
    Hav=Fath said:
    I can't believe how low you guys can keep your budget for their clothes, I'm impressed!! This winters budget has been by far the least I've ever spent on clothes for her and it's well over 200 although I haven't kept track at all. I get carried away so easily!! I'm really working on it though since each season in the past she's had at least 10 to 20 things in her closet that she's outgrown before she got a chance to wear it.

I have to say we'd probably spend more if we didn't get a ton of clothes as presents/lots of gift cards for Christmas and their birthdays. We also have a consignment store that gets a lot of name brand stuff and sells tops for $1-2 and pants for $2-3. I wonder all the time how the owner turns a profit selling that low.
    I don't keep track of all the receipts. My total was based on what we have bought so far and what is left to buy.  Knowing I love to shop for my own clothes each season probably helps me keep her clothing shopping to a limit :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I spent $100 just on sneakers  :-S

I spent about $350 on clothes. But I just have one kid, so it kinda all goes to her. 
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i spend very, very little. we are lucky that our families buy him lots of clothes (too much really) and we have a friend who gives us her grandson's outgrown clothes (which she buys second hand, so my kid is at least the 3rd to wear them, and most are ralph lauren, tcp, quiksilver, and in good condition.) i bought 3 pairs of shorts and 1 or 2 shirts on clearance at walmart a few weeks ago, spending about $10. their garanimals clothes are actually well made and last.

i've always bought his shoes (anything from pedipeds, purchased online w/ coupon codes, to oshkosh shoes on sale at kohl's, or clearanced c9 shoes at target.) his winter coat will be worn for a 2nd year (it's a 3t), and i bought it for less than $7 at belk's on clearance during the summer a couple of years back. he does need new rain boots. otherwise, i have no need to go shopping, or else i'd see too much cute stuff and be really tempted.
  • Options
    I get pretty cheap with my part time job at a department store.  I help with markdowns sometimes and I'm friends with the children's department staff who will call me if stuff I've watching for gets marked down.  Most of DS1's fall clothes we purchased last spring for $2 a piece plus my discount and coupons.  His winter jacket we as $10 (from $80).  DS2 only has gotten new underwear so far this fall.  I want to pick him up a few new things, but he doesn't really anything.   
    Both kids have insane amounts of jammies.  
    I would guess totally it all I probably spend around $150 on DS1 and maybe $75 on DS2 replacing anything that gets worn out or that should be new like shoes and underwear.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Chapter79 said:

I spent about $350 on clothes. But I just have one kid, so it kinda all goes to her. 

Oh, I totally forgot about shoes.  Shoes not included in our $100.  I hate shoes for kids.  Why on earth does something a quarter the size of my foot cost the same amount?!  I refuse to buy used shoes for my kids too, so yeah, $20 a pop.  And DS2 is about to need shoes too soon.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Chapter79 said:

Oh, I totally forgot about shoes.  Shoes not included in our $100.  I hate shoes for kids.  Why on earth does something a quarter the size of my foot cost the same amount?!  I refuse to buy used shoes for my kids too, so yeah, $20 a pop.  And DS2 is about to need shoes too soon.

I wish ours were $20.  I'm kindddddd of a sneaker snob? I'm not really a clothes snob for DD, but I'm a sneaker snob.  I'll get clothes from Target or Old Navy, or elsewhere.. but she needs better sneakers.  It's not even the look, per se, but I have this thing with thinking Nikes (etc) are better for her foot development.  It's probably not even true, but alas.. I actually just got her new sneakers today at Famous Footwear and they were $50.  

Thankfully, her feet grow slow.  She only needed one pair last year. So she's always in them awhile.
    E+C
    TTC
  • Options
    Around $50 bucks. I shop end of season sales (last year) and often buy thngs at consignment stores. He has 5 pairs of jeans (Gap, Old navy and Children's place), about 10 LS tees, 5 or 6 button-up shirts, boots, a winter jacket and a snow bib (though it rarely snows here, I always buy one ahead of time just in case we get lucky :).
    Wow, $50.?!?! I've never kept track. I just buy it if I see a good price or I really like it.

I didn't count shoes, though those are cheap too. DH works security at Off Broadway shoes and gets ana amazing discount. I can get three pairs of shoes for under thirty bucks there. :) his feet also grow slow- he started walking last year at this time and has only moved one size up, very recently. Since he was recently PT he also still fits into most of his previous pants from last season.

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Options
    Chapter79 said:
    Chapter79 said:

I wish ours were $20.  I'm kindddddd of a sneaker snob? I'm not really a clothes snob for DD, but I'm a sneaker snob.  I'll get clothes from Target or Old Navy, or elsewhere.. but she needs better sneakers.  It's not even the look, per se, but I have this thing with thinking Nikes (etc) are better for her foot development.  It's probably not even true, but alas.. I actually just got her new sneakers today at Famous Footwear and they were $50.  

Thankfully, her feet grow slow.  She only needed one pair last year. So she's always in them awhile.

Mine's still little, so his feet grow quickly.  His shoes barely look worn before we need more!  I do whole sizes in Walmart or Target brand, and half sizes in Stride Rite.  I get Stride Rite off ebay though or on clearance.  I refuse to pay more than $20 for a pair of tiny shoes, but like I said, he outgrows them so quickly.  When he gets older, I might do more expensive.  I know lots of people (ahem, my MIL) who buy shoes at Goodwill, but I refuse to do that to my kid's feet, and something about used shoes is icky to me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Way, way, way too much. I have a serious addiction to buying clothes for my kids.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    I don't keep track, but one pair of shoes is typically around 50....so that seems nuts to me.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce."
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    vlagrl29vlagrl29 member
    edited September 2013
    sneakers are the only shoe we spend more money on.  Luckily her current pair of sneakers were bought by my mother at stride rite.  Now I see what everyone talks about in regards to that store. I'm hoping my mom will by another pair this next year :)
  • Options
    I don't buy all at once. I'm a here and there shopper, when good deals come up. I shop some consignment. I caught one sale and it was $1 for tshirts, so I got several. I found 2 new, and 1 almost new pairs of jeans for DS#2 for $2 each. I usually wait for the cheapest price on jeans at the children's place and get DS#1's there, and of course we do hand me downs as much as possible (DS#2 is taller than DS#1 was at the same age, so not always possible). I did spend a little more on shoes this year though. But basically, I don't spend much and no more than I have to. My kids don't look like ragamuffins but they aren't wearing fancy outfits or anything either. Lots of tshirts and basketball shorts, hoodies and jeans. simple.
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    NandaB said:
    I don't keep track, but my mil loooooves to buy my kids clothes. I must love my kid less than you guys do, lol. His shoes come from target or walmart. Unless someone else buys them. ;) my mom got him vans and my bff got him pumas in the past, but I'm not gonna pay that much money for my kid to thrash shoes.

Right? And not only that my kids outgrow shoes quick. Ds is in a 13 already, so he's been through nine sizes since he started walking and wearing shoes. I can see when he's older, staying in a size longer, playing sports, etc to splurge. Right now it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when shoes don't last long.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't keep track so I have no idea. I love shopping and don't buy everything all at once. Usually at the beginning of the season I'll go through what I have for the size he is in and buy a basic starter wardrobe which I spend around $250-300 on. Then will pick things up as needed. DS is only 2, so right now I am buying new shoes about every 6 months and there's another $100-$150.

If I sat down to actually add it all up I am scared of what kind of obscene number I would come up with.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • Options
    I don't know how you do it spending just 150 or so. I just spent 150 on Caters.com for some snow pants, hats/mittens, a few pairs of pants and a coat. My MIL is obsessed with buying my kids clothing, and I am so grateful. But even with her bringing bags over, we still drop a crapload on shoes, boots, coats, clothing. I still need to get 2 pairs of snow boots and those are 75 each. UGH.
    I think certain seasons cost more.  My $350 was for fall.  I spend less in summer, more in winter.  Flips flops and tank tops are cheaper than snow boots, winter coat and jeans. I don't spend lots in the summer, but feel like I spend a crap load in the winter.
    E+C
    TTC
  • Options
    Used shoes are a bad idea. Shoes conform to your feet, even if worn a short time,
  • Options
    I don't keep track but will say I only buy clearance items. Or coupon with a sale if it's something I really like. My mother in law will buy him clothes only at Christmas time. I have always been about year ahead like now DS is in 4T/4 so I have an entire closet full till next fall in size 5.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I don't keep track. Reese is a SLOW grower---some of the shirts/skirts she is wearing were from last fall and they still fit her. She is roughly in 2T for tops and 18/24-2T for bottoms, depending on the brand. 

Honestly grandparents seem to spoil her with clothes and hand me downs. I actually HAVE to buy a winter jacket this year---in the past I was given all different hand me down jackets, and  now the only one that fits is a windbreaker type jacket. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    Also on the shoe front---we are all over the place--but I typically buy "good quality" sneakers--stride rite or name brand ones. Dress shoes/slippers/etc tend to be Target or Walmart.

My daughter usually goes through a 1/2 size every 6 months or so---and typically by then the shoe starts to look worn as well. 
    My daughter is my hero.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"