Babies: 6 - 9 Months

When did you give LO yogurt?

I was under the impression that because you shouldn't give cow milk til one year old that yogurt and cheese were also not okay until 1. I've been reading threads here where people mentioned giving yogurt to their LO for breakfast and I think I'd like to try it. DD is not a fan of oatmeal so if she likes yogurt it'll be really good.
I did some research and this site seems to say it's okay at 6+ months:
https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipYogurt.htm#.UkJbLX8qOSo

When did you start your LO on yogurt? Should I try baby yogurt first or would regular whole fat yogurt be okay?

Re: When did you give LO yogurt?

• We delay no foods at all in this house. Newer studies show that the delay of foods does not prevent allergies, at all. However, we don't do straight milk until 1 year since formula (and BM) is better. Yogurt we gave right away at 6 months. Which was when we started solids. DS is dairy intolerant so we give goats milk yogurt since it's easier on their tummies and more like BM.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ASmallWonderASmallWonder member
    edited September 2013
    Some kids can struggle to process milk but the overwhelming reason people are told no milk before 1 is because it's the safest way to ensure parents aren't substituting whole milk for the formula or BM the baby should be getting until they over 1.  Other dairy products, as long as your child doesn't show sensitivities, are fine to give.

ETA: Baby and toddler yogurts are higher in sugar than a plain yogurt would be.  Stonyfield makes a whole milk plain yogurt and we used that and mixed in actual fruit or purees.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • We were told to hold off on yogurt & cheese until 9mo, so that's what we did.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • We started at 7 months. I give plain natural or plain Greek yogurt. It's a bit tangy but DS loves it either plain or with some home puréed fruit.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started offering yogurt around 6 months.  our ped said that it's not the same as cow's milk because of the way it's processed or something... anyway, we started with YoBaby, but now after doing some more reading, we're offering Stonybrook Whole Milk Plain yogurt, and mixing in fruit.  Less sugar that way. 
  • I just gave DS some plain Greek yogurt at lunch today after he refused his cereal. He actually ate it all up, I was shocked!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jlm040513jlm040513 member
    edited September 2013
    DS (8 months) has had most solids with the exception of fish/shellfish and straight milk. Also honey - that is the one absolute no. We believe everything in moderation is ok. He has had all of the Gerber varieties as well as almost anything we eat...beef, turkey, chicken, other meats,veggies, eggs, etc.

FYI - They have baby yogurt in the baby food aisle also.

If DH or I had a specific food allergy, we would have held off on giving DS that food.

We've been slowly introducing new foods since 4 months. He has not had a reaction/allergy to anything as of yet.

It's all personal choice though...

M/C 5w1d - 9/23/13 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• jlm040513 said:
    DS (8 months) has had most solids with the exception of fish/shellfish and straight milk. Also honey - that is the one absolute no. We believe everything in moderation is ok. He has had all of the Gerber varieties as well as almost anything we eat...beef, turkey, chicken, other meats,veggies, eggs, etc. FYI - They have baby yogurt in the baby food aisle also. If DH or I had a specific food allergy, we would have held off on giving DS that food. We've been slowly introducing new foods since 4 months. He has not had a reaction/allergy to anything as of yet. It's all personal choice though...
    That baby yogurt is terrible for them. It's shelf stable yogurt. That means it's been loaded full of preservatives to make it shelf stable. I wouldn't even eat that. It's best to do plain whole milk yogurt mixed with fruit since this has zero added sugars and if you get the right kinds of yogurt no icky chemicals to make it shelf stable.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't use it personally, I have just seen it there. :)

M/C 5w1d - 9/23/13 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Around 7 months for DS1. He had cheese around 8 maybe. We did full fat Greek or plain Stonyfield yogurt, with a little fruit puree mixed in.

DS2 has MPI that I believe he is slowly outgrowing, so we will probably introduce it a little later for him. Trying to play around with what I'm eating right now to see if it still affects him.
  • jlm040513 said:
    I don't use it personally, I have just seen it there. :)
    Oh thank god. LOL Those yogurts gross me out to high heaven. I mean really. Who thinks shelf stable yogurt is a good idea?? Same with shelf stable milk. Ew.
  • We started yogurt around 6 and a half months, and he loves it. We use an organic brand called YoBaby by Stonyfield. He's also had cow's milk once in awhile and has been fine.
  • b0710 said:
    We started yogurt around 6 and a half months, and he loves it. We use an organic brand called YoBaby by Stonyfield. He's also had cow's milk once in awhile and has been fine.
    I have the same kind for my little guy and he loves it.  We started it around 7 months.  Just to clarify though, it's only found in the refrigerator section of the grocery store (not on the shelf).
    Only Gerber yogurt comes on the shelf. :P
  • 6 months. I've been having a hard time finding whole fat plain yogurt so I give baby yogurts. Not the kind in the baby food section but in the fridge section. Also have been giving chunks of string cheese for about a month now.
  • honeydew01honeydew01 member
    edited September 2013
    I gave her the Stonyfield organic with vanilla flavor today (I couldn't find it in plain). She hated it. Wouldn't open her mouth and kept her head side way. The kid hates everything edible. We've tried giving her finger food for almost 2 weeks and she plays with it. She doesn't have a problem putting toys in her mouth for hours but doesn't want to eat edible stuff. I feel stressed out because I worry she'll never want to eat anything. We already have milk issues as she doesn't take a bottle nor nurses good so I had hopes that she'd like eating food. She'd drink good for like 3 days then goes on a strike. Sorry this turned into a rant.
    I'm just frustrated because it looks like she's hungry, she's licking my face and neck so I offered her pear, apple, yogurt, egg yolk, oatmeal for lunch she refused all of them. She wouldn't open her mouth for any of them instead she just made grunting noise and wanted out of the high chair.
  • I gave her the Stonyfield organic with vanilla flavor today (I couldn't find it in plain). She hated it. Wouldn't open her mouth and kept her head side way. The kid hates everything edible. We've tried giving her finger food for almost 2 weeks and she plays with it. She doesn't have a problem putting toys in her mouth for hours but doesn't want to eat edible stuff. I feel stressed out because I worry she'll never want to eat anything. We already have milk issues as she doesn't take a bottle nor nurses good so I had hopes that she'd like eating food. She'd drink good for like 3 days then goes on a strike. Sorry this turned into a rant.
    I'm just frustrated because it looks like she's hungry, she's licking my face and neck so I offered her pear, apple, yogurt, egg yolk, oatmeal for lunch she refused all of them. She wouldn't open her mouth for any of them instead she just made grunting noise and wanted out of the high chair.
    Well, we do BLW. So we do zero spoon feeding unless he feeds himself. In the very beginning all he did was play with the food. Things would go into his mouth very rarely. Then he figured it out at about a month. Then came the biting, chewing, ect. We gave spears at first since it's easiest to pick up for babies. Some babies hate being spoon fed, then take a while to figure out finger foods. Be patient. They don't need any solids before a year. Right now it's all about discovering tastes, textures, and how to properly chew. As we all like to say is 'food before 1 is just for fun'. Relaxing about it makes things much less stressful.
  • I started giving my daughter, who is 7 m/o, plain or Vanilla yogert as a snack when she turn 6 1/2 months old. I recommend no extremely flavored yogurts unless it is all natural.
  • 7 months.  She has it as part of her breakfast every day.  We use the Stonyfield plain whole milk yogurt.  I mix it with fruit although to be honest it's usually applesauce. I sprinkle cinnamon in it and she loooooves it (and it smells delicious).
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • dvmsaradvmsara member
    edited October 2013
    Because of how yogurt and cheese are made, many of the the proteins and sugars are broken down and won't bother baby like straight milk will.

Regarding shelf-stable dairy products: I don't know about yogurt, but shelf-stable milk does not have "icky chemicals added"--it is simply ultra-pasteurized. It is heated to a higher temp than regular milk, which kills any bacteria that could cause spoilage. Some people worry about nutrients being broken down in this process as well, but there is no evidence of that.

The fact that the yogurt can be stored on the shelf tells me that it doesn't have live and active cultures, though, which are good for you.
  • dvmsara said:
    Because of how yogurt and cheese are made, many of the the proteins and sugars are broken down and won't bother baby like straight milk will.

Regarding shelf-stable dairy products: I don't know about yogurt, but shelf-stable milk does not have "icky chemicals added"--it is simply ultra-pasteurized. It is heated to a higher temp than regular milk, which kills any bacteria that could cause spoilage. Some people worry about nutrients being broken down in this process as well, but there is no evidence of that.

The fact that the yogurt can be stored on the shelf tells me that it doesn't have live and active cultures, though, which are good for you.
    I don't buy anything ultra pasteurized. It's gross.
  • I don't buy anything ultra pasteurized. It's gross.
    I guess that's your perception. I personally have never tried it so I can't comment (I'm not sure if you're saying it TASTES gross, or if you just don't like the idea of it). But scientifically, there's nothing "wrong" or "gross" about it.
  • dvmsara said:
    I don't buy anything ultra pasteurized. It's gross.
    I guess that's your perception. I personally have never tried it so I can't comment (I'm not sure if you're saying it TASTES gross, or if you just don't like the idea of it). But scientifically, there's nothing "wrong" or "gross" about it.
    True, I just don't buy it. It doesn't taste right at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"