2nd Trimester
Options

STMs - What was your (and your baby's) favorite bottle?

There are so many options out there! I cannot figure out which one to register for. Do I register for a variety of brands and get a one pack for each or did you happen to stumble across a brand that was phenomenal? Any advice would be awesome. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: STMs - What was your (and your baby's) favorite bottle?

• Options
    rowanthefrogrowanthefrog member
    edited September 2013
    We used Dr. Brown's. I would register for a 2 pack of several brands bc you don't know which one baby will prefer. Or if you have friends with babies, ask them to loan you one of a few different kinds.

DS1 used Dr. Brown's. DS2 would never take a bottle, we tried every brand out there.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options
    I tried dr browns, advent, tommy tipee and ds only liked playtext nipples so that is what we stuck with. I BF and it was the slowest nipple we could find and the only one he wouldn't gag on.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used Born Free. We liked them. We only made it to level 2 with the nipples becuase DS didn't like the fast flow.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used born free and Dr. Brown's. I liked both. Medella has this 1 bottle thats for BF Moms to allow others to feed, but it looks, feels, and acts like a nipple. easier transition for BF Mommas. I can't remember what it's called for the life of me, but it's on my registry, and I'll buy it if nobody else does. I'm sure it would be easy to google.

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• Options
    Both my babies were fine with the super cheap Evenflo bottles.  3 pack for like $5.  Beats the heck out of spending $8 per bottle like some of the major brands!  And I liked how totally uncomplicated the bottles were - no weird tubes or anything.  They NEVER leaked.  I mean, not even once.  The Avent ones I got as a gift leaked like crazy.

There's really no way to know what your baby will like.  We were really broke when our first babies were on the way, so we went super cheap and it worked!

• Options
    Once my son hit 6 months, I got him the cheaper bottle because at that point he didn't care what it was as long as he ate.  You can get walmart bottles for less than $1.00 a piece. and they are BPA free. basic nipples, but some babies aren't picky.  I wouldn't hesitate using them for a newborn either. For me it was just the breast to bottle transition, and he WAS picky while nursing. It's like a pacifier, buy a few types and find the winner.  I will say, though, I didn't use pacifiers cause it's a bitch habit to break later in life.  My son was fine just sucking on his own fingers or mine. But it's all personal preference. some people NEED pacifiers to get 1 second of peace.

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• Options
    We tried Avent, Breastflow, and Playtex VentAire. 

IME, Avent leaks horribly. We tried all the little tricks people recommend for tightening them to prevent leaks and nothing worked. They also made DD1 super gassy.

Breastflow was fine, but DD1 took for.ev.er. to eat with those. Once we realized BFing wasn't working for us we stopped trying those because the likeness to the breast didn't matter any more.

Playtex wins by a mile for us. Both of my girls did great on them from day one. Less gas and fussiness, easy to clean even with the extra vent piece, and they held up well through two formula fed kids. Unless #3 is pickier than it's sisters we'll use the VentAire again.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The only bottle my DD would take was the Medela bottles that came with my pump (she went on a bottle strike when I returned to work).  So that is what we used.  My DS did not care at all (we made sure to give him a bottle once a day from 3 days on, as to try and avoid the bottle strike we went through with my DD), so we had a variety for him.  
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We used Playtex VentAire and never had any problems with those, so I never even tried anything else! I'm hoping we have just as much luck the second time around!

• Options
    Soap1 said:
    Both my babies were fine with the super cheap Evenflo bottles.  3 pack for like $5.  Beats the heck out of spending $8 per bottle like some of the major brands!  And I liked how totally uncomplicated the bottles were - no weird tubes or anything.  They NEVER leaked.  I mean, not even once.  The Avent ones I got as a gift leaked like crazy.

There's really no way to know what your baby will like.  We were really broke when our first babies were on the way, so we went super cheap and it worked!

My Avent bottles leaked like crazy, also!  It was so frustrating.  I won't use them this time.  I agree, the cheaper bottles worked just as well and when you get to the point where you are finding bottles behind the couch/under the crib with rotten milk in them and you have to throw them out, cheap is great.  DD and I had the most success with Nuk bottles, though.  She liked the nipples and I liked the cute designs.  Each baby is different, though and I don't expect that this baby will like Nuk's. 
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • Options
    DD1 was Advent....mind you 12yrs ago
    DD2 was Platex drop ins
    DD3 was Platex drop ins or Dr Brown

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

• Options
    KariB509KariB509 member
    edited September 2013
    I BF so I didn't register for any bottles.  After DS was born, I want to start him on a bottle before my maternity leave was up because I was going back to work.  First bottle I bought was NUK (NUK Ortho bottle) and it worked for us.  I stood in the aisle for probably 30 minutes examining all the bottles, trying to decide which was one was best.  I read on the packaging and saw for myself that the nipple was designed like how the human nipple shapes while nursing.  The human nipple kind of flattens out as the baby sucks and that's what the nipple looked it.  The base was also larger than most, also to simulate a real areola.  I didn't like how some bottle nipples were long.  A human nipple doesn't look like that!  And I didn't want any nipple confusion.  It worked for us.  

edit: added more specific brand name and link
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Dr Browns worked the best for us. Plus, the air filter thing cuts down gas which helped a TON! Babies with upset tummy's crying is a sad cry to hear.

• Options
    We tried everything. Medela, Dr. Brown, Advent, and more, we settled on the playtex drop ins with the natural colored nipples. They are so much bette than anything else we tried.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My lo liked the playtex ventair bottles best and so did we. We also breasted.
  • Options
    We loved Dr. Brown, but they were a pain to clean!

I've heard good things about Tommy Tippee,so I may look into those this time. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used avent for baby #1. They leaked all the time! I had the tops and everything on right, but when you flip the bottle to give it to the baby it would dribble and drip all over me and baby. The whole feeding!
  • Options
    My husband's cousin who is now pregnant with her third told me that she loved the Dr. Brown bottles because they made her babies less gassy. I've also heard great things about Tommy Tippee so I registered for a set of those too! I though the Avent ones were good (they at least have good reviews on BRU) but apparently not! Thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    Have one used the bottles that use the plastic bag?? My sister used them for all my nephews and worked, but now that i'm expecting, i dont know if they are 100% safe. The look super easy and clean and easy disposable.
  • Options
    Playtex drop-ins.  I tried Dr. Brown's but cleaning all the parts was such a pain in the ass.  I tried advent but it seemed to always leak.  Playtex drop-ins worked for me.  My kids would go from breast to bottle with no problem.  The drop-in liners makes it easy to get the air out of the bottle before feeding baby which means less gas.  And the bottles are so easy to clean.
    *Shaw*  
    Mommy to 4 kiddos and #5 on the way in March 2014

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Playtex ventaire were out favorite. Agent leaked for us too. I liked the drop ins also but thought the bags were wasteful. You get the same effect front the ventaire

I would wait and see what baby likes! Also be mindful that some bottles don't come with newborn nipples
  • Options
    Born free
  • Options
    Love love MAM bottles and pacifiers. Yeah, they are five pieces, but they are the only bottles my dd enjoyed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"