July 2013 Moms

Rejected...

Hi ladies! Long time lurker seeking your thoughts on something. So appreciate any advice or ideas... DD is 9 weeks old. I have overactive letdown and oversupply (the oversupply comes and goes - really weird). Anyway, DD is EBF and used to constantly choke in the early days but has gotten better at managing to "drink out of a firehose". Feedings generally take 5-10min max on one side. She has only had a handful of bottles and takes them fine. Over the last week or so, at least once a day she will give hungry cues and I try to feed her and she literally screams when she sees my breast near her face. I will cover up and move away and she will calm down and then I try to nurse again and she will start wailing. This usually happens several times until I either give up or she finally latches through her crying. I went to see the LC and she did it and we had to trick her into nursing by using a nipple shield (I guess she thought it was the paci). Has this happened to anyone? How am I supposed to handle this when I know she is hungry? Thank you so much!!!

Re: Rejected...

• Maybe let down in a towel then pop on a nipple shield? I say do what works!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'm actually dealing with this too. Maybe not as consistently, but it definitely has happened! I think it's when he's overtired... It's the "this is not a paci! give me my damn paci and let me sleep, woman!" freak out, I've determined. He usually eats really well at his next feeding after it happens, so I'm just trying to roll with it.

I should say, he doesn't usually scream when he sees the breast. He'll latch on, nurse for a minute or two, and then start his freak out and pop off. Any attempts to get him back on just make the situation worse. I think he just wants to suck and gets mad that milk is coming out because he wants to sleep, not eat!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • I've been having a similar issue. I'll be watching this thread.
  • Yep my LO does it when she is overtired or is too full / gassy. It's frustrating for both of us.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• je2161 said:

Yep my LO does it when she is overtired or is too full / gassy. It's frustrating for both of us.

Yep! LO usually just wants something to suck on, but not something that has stuff coming out of it :)

M/C #1 on 8/20/08 and #2 on 1/10/09. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • my girl has done this almost since birth. she gets so mad sometimes that I even offered it to her that it sometimes makes scared to even try. it always seems to be gas related.

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog
  • je2161 said:

Yep my LO does it when she is overtired or is too full / gassy. It's frustrating for both of us.

This! We walk around in cradle hold and usually she calms down enough to nurse and then almost immediately passes out in my arms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• mdlorenz said:

je2161 said:

This! We walk around in cradle hold and usually she calms down enough to nurse and then almost immediately passes out in my arms.
    Same here! Walking and nursing helps us

imageimageimage

• I'm actually dealing with this too. Maybe not as consistently, but it definitely has happened! I think it's when he's overtired... It's the "this is not a paci! give me my damn paci and let me sleep, woman!" freak out, I've determined. He usually eats really well at his next feeding after it happens, so I'm just trying to roll with it. I should say, he doesn't usually scream when he sees the breast. He'll latch on, nurse for a minute or two, and then start his freak out and pop off. Any attempts to get him back on just make the situation worse. I think he just wants to suck and gets mad that milk is coming out because he wants to sleep, not eat!
    that has happened to me, too. I was so surprised when she fell asleep pretty quickly after screaming at my boob, but in the weeks since I've gotten used to it and work around that. "so you're not hungry? fine, nap time".
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• I'm actually dealing with this too. Maybe not as consistently, but it definitely has happened! I think it's when he's overtired... It's the "this is not a paci! give me my damn paci and let me sleep, woman!" freak out, I've determined. He usually eats really well at his next feeding after it happens, so I'm just trying to roll with it.

I should say, he doesn't usually scream when he sees the breast. He'll latch on, nurse for a minute or two, and then start his freak out and pop off. Any attempts to get him back on just make the situation worse. I think he just wants to suck and gets mad that milk is coming out because he wants to sleep, not eat!

that has happened to me, too. I was so surprised when she fell asleep pretty quickly after screaming at my boob, but in the weeks since I've gotten used to it and work around that. "so you're not hungry? fine, nap time".

Yup, this is what I do, as well. Hard not to feel rejected sometimes, though! Especially when you think they should be hungry!! lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    imageimage
  • DS went through this phase for a while too. I would leave him on my lap but give him a paci until he calmed down. Either he fell asleep or he would calm down enough that I could take the paci out and stick the boob in. He was indeed hungry, just for some reason would freak out at the boob.
    imageView Full Size Image

• We went through this for a while (among all kinds of other drama) but one thing that helped a lot was to feed him upright, belly to belly with me. He'd freak if I laid him down, but if ilet him straddle my leg and propped him up to feed sitting straight up or even him leaning slightly forward while I was reclined, it seemed to help.
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • here, i found a pic of him in that position:
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"