Infertility

Tests back ( MTHFR and Insulin resistant) Need advice from those who have them! ( xp)

ksgsmuksgsmu member
edited September 2013 in Infertility
So I got all my genetic testing back and I found out 2 things that we didn't know before.... ( I already knew I had Hashimotos which was again confirmed)

1. MTHFR ( c677t) Heterozygous. I don't know much about this but doing some research.  I started baby aspirin after my miscarriage so I was told to stay on it.  My Endo didn't prescribe anything else for it because she wants my RE to handle it.   So not sure what if anything else he will want to do.

2. Insulin resistance- My glucose levels are in the normal range but my pancrease is showing high insulin resistance.  I have not been diagnosed with PCOS. I have no cysts and no other symptoms.  My Endo went ahead and started me on 500mg of Metformin (extended release)  I will do this a couple of weeks then go up to 1000mg.  So far I have tolerated it really well.  I have weak ovulation so hoping this helps!

So not thrilled I have these two issues but I know it could have shown something much worse so just trying to be proactive and do what I can.  I see my RE next month to start treatments again (last IUI then on to IVF) so hopefully this info will help him with my treatment plan.   Any advice is appreciated!  If you have either of these two issues what are you doing about them?
***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
- poor responder
***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
FET 5/20- BFP
1st Beta- 641
2nd beta- 2166
Sono- TWINS!!!!
Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

Re: Tests back ( MTHFR and Insulin resistant) Need advice from those who have them! ( xp)

• liz4pawsliz4paws member
    edited September 2013

I have both of these and also DOR, and it looks like you do too from your siggy. My RE put me on Rx Folgard (which is a prescription folic acid) as well as baby aspirin after transfer. For insulin resistance, I am also on 1500mg Metformin and have been since 2011. It seems to keep it fairly under control. It helps to eat lower carb because when you load up on carbs, it makes your stomach upset. This is the main reason women stop taking it, but I found if you are careful what you eat, it's a non-issue.

I am on synthroid, but I have a "normal" level when I am not pregnant, usually around 2.56. But my RE put me on it because they want to have it below 2.5 for anyone who wishes to become pregnant. But I saw you deal with thyroid issues so figured I'd throw that in there. We do have quite a bit in common. Good luck!

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Thanks so much @liz4paws for your input.   I am a fan of your blog.   I will def speak to my RE about Folgard as I am mostly concerned about the effects of not having enough Folic Acid and it's impact it could have on my baby if/when I get pregnant.  I am confused as to take the baby aspirin every day or only a certain part of my cycle so I will have to look into that!

I had read about the terrible Metformin side effects so I have been super careful about my carbs so far.  My Dr. says the Extended Release usually has less side effects so I am hoping I can deal with whatever comes as I increase my dosage.  Hey if this helps me  ovulate stronger and lose some weight I will suck it up and deal with it :)

I couldn't get pregnant at 2.56... My RE and Endo wanted me under 2 for TTC.  When I got my TSH down to almost 1 that is when I got my natural pregnancy. (literally it was the next cycle) I am 90% sure that played a huge part of the equation.  I am on 100 mcg of synthroid and cut soy out of my diet as much as possible to help keep my TSH low.  My TSH was .98 last week.  That is as perfect as it has ever been!

Rooting for you!

- poor responder
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for following my blog and being a fan! What a nice thing to say! :)

I'm glad to hear that it might help you, I'll keep my fingers crossed! I hope your TSH continues to behave itself, and your RE lets you get on folgard. I don't see a downside to going on it, really. It's cheap too and many Rx plans will cover the Rx formula, but not the OTC kind so specifically see if you dr will write you a prescription.

My RE only had me start aspirin after transfer, although I never asked why. If this final FET doesn't work for us and we move on to domestic newborn adoption, I plan to start taking baby aspirin daily anyway to prevent colon cancer which my family has a history of.

Again, good luck!

Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 

2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!

image      image 
  • Oh I forgot to ask, just because I'm curious - do you have any kind of gluten intolerance or GI issues? I've read that there could be a link between DOR and auto-immune issues, specifically celiacs. You and I sounded so similar I just wanted to ask.

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 

image      image 
  • I came back negative for Celiac Disease and do not have any symptoms of gluten intolerance when I eat gluten.  That being said I know that there is a strong link between all auto-immune issues and the effects of gluten are not fully known.  A lot of Hashi's patients do feel better on a gluten free diet.  As part of my low carb diet I am naturally avoiding most gluten.  But I should def look into avoiding it all together.  For thyroid patients soy seems to have the worst effect.  It is in everything!  Cutting it out has def helped me so far so I need to look further into gluten as well.

thanks for you input!

- poor responder
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"