September 2013 Moms
Options

Schedule

Does anybody have their LO on a feeding schedule? How do you do it? What is the schedule? Breast fed or bottle? If you are nursing, what is your nursing routine as far as burps, switching sides, length of feedings?

LO has been sleeping a ton and I'm worried about my supply and clogged ducts! I also have a 21 month old and everyone is losing their cool because LO's lack of routine is throwing off everyone else's days. My 21 month old need predictability.

Re: Schedule

• Options
    My feed schedule is every three hours.  An outline of what we do is as follows:

1. Wake baby up by changing his diaper (he hates this).  At night my husband does this while I get the bottle and pumping supplies from the kitchen.  This takes about 5 minutes

2. DS latches to one breast for 10-15 minutes.  Before offering him the other breast I burp him for a minute or two.  I would take longer to burp him, but he rarely ever burps when breast fed.  When done with the second breast I burp him again.  If I start on the right breast this time, the next time I start on the left breast. 

3. DS is fed a bottle (2-3 ounces of formula or previously pumped breast milk).  He is then burped again.  This takes about 10 -15 minutes.   DH mans the bottle feeding at night and when he's free during the day.

4. While DH is bottle feeding I start pumping.  I pump for 20-30 minutes depending on how tired I am and if H is able to take care of our son.  If DH is not home, and I have to bottle feed along with pump, I bottle feed, burp, and make sure DS is content before I start pumping.  DS likes to be held laying his head on my shoulder and this is impossible if I am pumping. 

After all that I have to clean the pumping supplies and put away the breast milk and bottle.  From start to finish it can take anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours.  It's a long process, and I really haven't figured out how to be super productive in between feedings (I am still so tired), but it's worth it.

Hope this helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    May I ask why you bother with the bottle except for DH to give? I mean no offense, just curious.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am exclusively pumping and I feed my LO 2.5 ounces every 2- 2.5 hours. I pump every 2- 3 hours as well. I alternate when I feed him and when i pump.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    katiezab said:
    May I ask why you bother with the bottle except for DH to give? I mean no offense, just curious.
    Because my supply isn't enough to keep my son full. I am hoping to get my supply up enough to no longer need to bottle feed him, but as long as he is full I will find a way to be happy.
  • Options
    katiezab said:
    Because my supply isn't enough to keep my son full. I am hoping to get my supply up enough to no longer need to bottle feed him, but as long as he is full I will find a way to be happy.
    I hope you don't mind me being nosy...you say it's not enough for him but everything you are giving him is breast milk, yes? Sooo...why not just nurse more often?  Sorry, just curious!  It sounds like so much work for you - I pumped in addition to nursing for just a few days to get my supply up and because LO was a VERY sleepy eater due to jaundice so she wasn't as efficient.  But we were able to stop all that once she was gaining weight.

OP - no schedule, we follow baby's lead. She eats about every 2-3 hours.  During the day I wake her if it's getting close to 3 hours since the last feeing but at night we let her go and usually get in one 4 hour stretch.  Sometimes during the day, like yesterday, she wanted to eat every 1.5 hours. Our ped told us once we reached birth weight to mostly make sure that we had in at least 8 feedings a day and that it was less important how far apart they are. 
  • Options
    MamaInMN said:
    katiezab said:
    I hope you don't mind me being nosy...you say it's not enough for him but everything you are giving him is breast milk, yes? Sooo...why not just nurse more often?  Sorry, just curious!  It sounds like so much work for you - I pumped in addition to nursing for just a few days to get my supply up and because LO was a VERY sleepy eater due to jaundice so she wasn't as efficient.  But we were able to stop all that once she was gaining weight.

OP - no schedule, we follow baby's lead. She eats about every 2-3 hours.  During the day I wake her if it's getting close to 3 hours since the last feeing but at night we let her go and usually get in one 4 hour stretch.  Sometimes during the day, like yesterday, she wanted to eat every 1.5 hours. Our ped told us once we reached birth weight to mostly make sure that we had in at least 8 feedings a day and that it was less important how far apart they are. 
    It's not just breast milk he still gets several bottles of formula a day. We are working on weening him off but there is still a long road ahead of us.
  • Options

katiezab said:

Oh okay I understand. Lactation cookies always give me instant increase in supply. I have a recipe for gluten and dairy free if you would like it. I hope you can get your supply up, but if not it is not the end of the world! Good work mama!!!

• Options
    MamaInMN said:
    katiezab said:

It's not just breast milk he still gets several bottles of formula a day. We are working on weening him off but there is still a long road ahead of us.
    Maybe you already do this, but one way to increase your supply would be to have him nurse more often than every three hours (at least during the day). That will send signals to increase the amount of milk you're producing. Obviously still use formula if he isn't getting enough, but pumping doesn't stimulate the breast in the same way as your LO can. It won't be as efficient in increasing your supply. 

• Options
    katiezab said:

katiezab said:

Oh okay I understand. Lactation cookies always give me instant increase in supply. I have a recipe for gluten and dairy free if you would like it. I hope you can get your supply up, but if not it is not the end of the world! Good work mama!!!

I would love to get the recipe. Thank you!
  • Options

MamaInMN said:

katiezab said:

Maybe you already do this, but one way to increase your supply would be to have him nurse more often than every three hours (at least during the day). That will send signals to increase the amount of milk you're producing. Obviously still use formula if he isn't getting enough, but pumping doesn't stimulate the breast in the same way as your LO can. It won't be as efficient in increasing your supply. 

I was thinking about feeding him every two hours during the day. I was told pumping was just as stimulating as nursing. Thank you for letting me know. I will make sure to nurse him every two hours tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    Exclusively bf'ing here and LO is 3 weeks tomorrow. I feed on demand...during the day this is about every 2.5 hours and at night can stretch up out to 4 hours. I am nursing 8-10 minutes per side, burping between sides and afterwards. I am also just started pumping after feeding once in the morning and once in the evening.
  • Options
    I EBF on demand and do not time the length of them. I let her eat until she unlatches, burp her and then switch sides. Again, when she unlatches we burp and then I offer her more and when she refuses she is done.
  • Options
    He's only 9 days old but I nurse on demand. During the day its every 2-3 hours, and at night 3-4 hours. Usually he's ready before the max time frame. I nurse until he unlatches, burp offer other breast. No real schedule.
    BFP #1 11/27/11 EDD 08/08/12 M/C 01/27/12 12 wks 2 days
    BFP #2 04/25/12 EDD 01/04/13(?) confirmed ectopic 05/16/12 6 wks 5 days 2 doses of MTX-Lost left tube on 05/25/12 Back to TTC, earlier than originally expected.
    BFP #3 01/05/13 EDD 09/17/13 u/s 1/24/13-great appt, measuring 2 days ahead, NT scan 3/11/13-great scan measuring 4 days ahead, A/S 4/29/13-another great scan can't wait to meet my baby BOY!!!!!
    My Blog

My Sweet (and Spoiled) Furbaby Cali
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PgAL/PAL Welcome

• Options
    I can't see your ticker OP but I have a toddler and a 3 week old and I feel your pain! I feed her every 2 or 2.5 hours during the day. She usually wakes on her own but if not I wake her. Sometimes i let her go 3 hours once in the evening when i'm dealing with dinner and a bored toddler. If she goes for too many long stretches without eating in the daytime she'll wake me up every 2 hours at night. But if I keep her eating frequently all day she sleeps 4-5 hours for two stretches at night.

I let her nurse on one side until she stops or falls asleep. Then I burp her and change her diaper to wake her up. I put her on the other breast, burp again and we're done. Only in the past few days she had become a much more efficient nurser so we are usually done in 45 minutes or even a little less. When she was one week old it took over 1.5 hours sometimes!

At night she will cluster feed a bit so between 9 and 11 she is usually awake the whole time and wanting to nurse every 15-20 minutes with little cat naps in between. I just put my toddler to bed and then get settled in front of the TV with a drink and some snacks and let her eat when she wants, alternating sides each time. If this happened in the middle of the day I'd go nuts but since it gets me two long blocks of sleep I'm ok with it!
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    NtymecNtymec member
    edited September 2013
    I make sure to pee and wash my hands before every feed.

I exclusively breastfeed. I nurse every two hours during the day. At night I let her wake up on her own to feed.

I don't change her diaper before a feed because she usually poops while nursing. So I wait until the feed is done, change her and do a quick nurse to calm her and top her off. I also swaddle her (at night only) after her diaper is changed.

I burp her her based on her cues. When she keeps popping off my breast it usually means she needs a burping. I also make sure to burp her at the end if each feed.

I don't time her feeds for switching breasts. She feeds on one breast until it has been emptied. This way i know she got lots of hindmilk. I switch breasts at that point. If she didnt empty the breast, during a feeding, I continue on that same breast for the next feed.

I rock her to sleep with the help of a white noise app, then place her in the bassinet next to our bed.

At night, I also make sure to prep the nursery after I put her down. I make sure I have a tall glass of water and a snack ready and the change table is ready.

• Options
    I don't understand the logistics of scheduling a newborn and who it is supposed to benefit. If they want to eat every hour but you have them on a 3 hour schedule, you don't feed them? And what is the point of waking a happily sleeping baby to eat? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious why and how people do this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD is 2 w 1 d. DD has never been a good eater, right after birth she was very jaundice so we had to wake her to eat constantly and I had to supplement with some formula and pump. Now...we feed on demand. I may change her diaper before a feed, depends on if she's dry or not. I usually feed on one side for anywhere from 8-17 mins, depends on her hunger. Burp her and she's booby milk wasted, there's no second breast offering. No more than 3-4 hrs apart. Sometimes she wants to eat every 1.5-2 hours and sometimes 3.5-4. We follow her now since she's above birth weight. I still worry I'm doing it all wrong but such is being a new mom.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    zoieglow said:

I don't understand the logistics of scheduling a newborn and who it is supposed to benefit. If they want to eat every hour but you have them on a 3 hour schedule, you don't feed them? And what is the point of waking a happily sleeping baby to eat? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious why and how people do this.

For me it would benefit the whole family. We are about to just kill each other. Everyone is at each others throats, even my toddler is. I think it is worth trying and tomorrow I'm going to give it a shot. Also some babies, like my older, thrive on routine. Maybe LO will be a little less fussy and I can get some more predictability and get my toddler back on a routine.

• Options
    katiezab said:

zoieglow said:

For me it would benefit the whole family. We are about to just kill each other. Everyone is at each others throats, even my toddler is. I think it is worth trying and tomorrow I'm going to give it a shot. Also some babies, like my older, thrive on routine. Maybe LO will be a little less fussy and I can get some more predictability and get my toddler back on a routine.

And obviously if he is hungry it doesn't matter what time it is lol

Amy I don't really mean a schedule I suppose. I think I just need to work out a family routine that works around baby more. Does that make sense? As in maybe I need to make my mirning routine something like make DS breakfast, nurse, get us all ready and clean a bit, then have our outing afyer the next nursing session. just plan better. Do you have more children or is this your first, just wondering!
  • Options
    auroraloo said:

@zoieglow babies who aren't yet at birth weight need to eat more often. Or if mom is struggling with supply more frequent nursing boosts that.

I don't think anyone is saying they wouldn't feed a hungry baby.

I should have mentionned in my post that yes I feed her every two hours during the day but if she is showing cues that she is hungry sooner I will feed her at that time. :)
  • Options
    At first I was feeding DS no less than every 3 hours. That was until he reached birth weight. Now it's on demand but I try to not go more than 3 hours during the day if I can help it (meaning if he's taking a super long nap my doc said not to let him sleep for more than 2 1/2 hours at one time during the day, though he can wake up, eat, and go right back to sleep). Usually during the day he cluster feeds for a few hours anyway. At night it's completely on demand and he goes longer stretches (the other day he went almost 6 hours).
  • Options
    LO made up the schedule. I follow it. He is very consistant though. The first feeding of the day is 4am, then 7am, then 10am, then 12pm, then 3pm, then 6 pm, then 8 pm,then 10pm then 12. Sometimes these are off by an hour or 30 minutes depending on what we are doing that day, but it is usually right on time. He has just started skipping the midnight feeding and sleeps until 3am. Nice 5-6 hour stretch. I don't set alarms to feed or anything. I just wait until he wants to.

I usually always change him then feed him so he goes to sleep after eating.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    fittest mom photo FITTEST-MOM_zps2351b4e2.gif
  • Options
    Amy I sat down last night and wrote down what we kind of do each day. I plan on writing down what we actually do for a few days and going from there. And the morning outing is not something I feel I have to do for my kids as much as myself. I go crazy at home and that is my chance to get out. Today is going a lot smoother just because I haven't totally forgotten about lunch like I had been doing lol. Just writing it down last night has helped me a ton. As I said on the bf board, I just plan on tracking for a few days and working our routine around baby. But my older son needs a routine so desperately right now. It really helps him feel more secure to know what's coming next.
  • Options
    Ntymec said:
    .... I don't time her feeds for switching breasts. She feeds on one breast until it has been emptied. This way i know she got lots of hindmilk. I switch breasts at that point. If she didnt empty the breast, during a feeding, I continue on that same breast for the next feed. I rock her to sleep with the help of a white noise app, then place her in the bassinet next to our bed. At night, I also make sure to prep the nursery after I put her down. I make sure I have a tall glass of water and a snack ready and the change table is ready.
    I feel like an idiot asking this question, but how do you know when your breast has been emptied?  Because baby stops nursing or is there some other way to tell? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Toby, my furry baby
  • Options
    It is never truly "empty", but I can tell my lo has gotten a full feeding, as in foremilj and hind milk, when he really starts working but doesn't swallow as often and takes breaks while still being completely latches.
  • Options
    Bamgal25 said:

I feel like an idiot asking this question, but how do you know when your breast has been emptied?  Because baby stops nursing or is there some other way to tell? 

----------------------------
    Don't feel bad. I Googled that last night. :)

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    We feed on demand and she quickly made a routine of every 2 hours during the day and 4 hours at night.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"