Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

HSG Test Questions

Hi ladies,

If you have had the test would you recommend it?  What can you tell me about it?  Painful?  I keep googling and I'm talking myself out of it. 

My insurance doesn't cover infertility so I was trying to get an approximate cost before scheduling it so I wasn't shocked.  The billing dept tells me around $500 but my insurance company tells me around $1200.  Are either of these numbers close to correct?

Lastly, when you get the procedure done do you get the results right away or do you have to schedule an appointment with your doctor?

Thanks for your help and sorry if these are dumb questions.

Re: HSG Test Questions

• Options
    t2mofok said:

Hi ladies,

If you have had the test would you recommend it?  What can you tell me about it?  Painful?  I keep googling and I'm talking myself out of it. 

My insurance doesn't cover infertility so I was trying to get an approximate cost before scheduling it so I wasn't shocked.  The billing dept tells me around $500 but my insurance company tells me around $1200.  Are either of these numbers close to correct?

Lastly, when you get the procedure done do you get the results right away or do you have to schedule an appointment with your doctor?

Thanks for your help and sorry if these are dumb questions.

What test??

**siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• Options
    Oh, duh. You named it in the subject, just not the body of your question. Sorry.
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• Loading the player...
  • Options

You should definitely get an HSG done prior to having any infertility treatment. There is no point in taking medication, etc if your tubes are blocked.

I can't help with the cost, as my insurance covers diagnostics relating to infertility, just not treatments.

You should get the results as they are doing the procedure. I did at least.

There is a post a ways down about what the HSG is exactly - I highly recommend going and reading it. There is a lot of useful information there.

DH (29) & Me (26) - Married 9/22/2012
    TTC since 9/2012
    Dx - Annovulatory; PCOS-IR

8/2013 - First consult with RE
    9/2013 - HSG, SHG both clear; SA normal
    Oct 2013 - Jan 2014 - Clomid + Trigger + IUI #1-3 = BFN's
    Feb 2014 - Femara + Trigger + IUI #4 = BFP!!!!!
    Beta #1 - 3/2/14 (15dpo) - 123
    Beta #2 - 3/4/14 (17dpo) - 378
    1st ultrasound - 3/21/14 - 1 little ninja, heartbeat - 120bpm
    Due November 7, 2014

**ALL** Welcome

• Options
    My HSG wasn't too bad. I had some cramping which wasn't fun, but all in all it was ok. I was more worried they were going to find something. 

As for insurance, everyone's is different. I haven't received my bill, but from the explanation of benefits that came the other day it looked like most of it was covered, but we'll still have to pay. 

You do get the results right away (or should). The HSG should also be the first thing they do to you before going any further with infertility or a RE. I can tell you that our concern was my DH when we went and they still did a work-up on me. 

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
    Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008
  • Options
    These are not dumb questions.  I had my test done last week.  It reminded me of a pap smear.  There was some cramping and discomfort, but it wasn't a big deal for me.    Everyone has different reactions to the test.  I took two Tylenol's an hour before.  It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.  You should be able to get the results if you ask, but your doctor will confirm it.  Its pretty cool that you can see if your tubes are open with the monitor that is next to you when the dye is injected.  The tech talked me through the whole procedure before and during the test. For me, it was suppose to cost $500 without insurance.  However, I was surprised when they said they would give it to me as the same price as the insurance coverage which was $260.  I didn't ask why.   I am glad I did it because I know that I do not have any problems with my tubes which I am grateful for.  You should have a HSG and a SA done if you are thinking about taking treatments. Also, I would search for other HSG threads for more info.  I hope this helps.  :)

me 28-DH 30
    dated DH - 2001
    married DH- 4/4/2009
    off BC & TTC - March 2013 
    diagnosed with PCOS on July 29, 2013
    SA-  low sperm count, low motility, and forward progression 
    Medicated cycle #1 with 100mg clomid cycle (October 3)-  No ovulation or mature follies were present on U/S day 14. IUI was cancelled.
    BFP on 11/23/13!! Due date is July 20, 2014!
    Yeah! DH and I did it on our own without any treatments or procedures. We are excited about our miracle baby.
  • Options

Getting an HSG is necessary if you are planning on doing any IF treatements.  You need to know if your tubes are open, otherwise you might be wasting your time. 

The cost of the procedure varies by where you live, but mine was around $1100 OOP by the time I paid the doctor, radiologist, and imaging center.  I did mine with my OB/GYN, but I wish I would have done it with my RE.  My OB/GYN refused to code the test as anything other than IF, so it was denied by insurance.  My RE will code many tests/procedures as diagnostic and my insurance has covered many of them (including my hysterscopy).

Experiences vary for this procedure.  Some women don't have much pain at all while others find it very painful.  The good news is that it is a very quick test, so even if it is painful it only lasts minutes.

Again this test should not be optional and I would not trust any doctor that does not require this test before starting any treatments.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    If you plan to have any kind of IF Tx, like ovulation inducing meds, then you absolutely need to have an HSG.  It would be really foolish of a doctor to prescribe ovulation inducing meds without knowing for sure if your tubes are blocked.  Kind of pointless to force ovulation if the egg cannot even make it through the tube and sperm and egg cannot meet...

As for the pain factor - I seem to have a pretty sensitive cervix.  I usually always get a vasovagal response when my cervix is involved in any procedure.  I thought it was uncomfortable while the catheter was in, but the dye moving though was not.  And for the results, I am sure your doctor will want to go over them with you in a consultation, but you can see the dye moving, or not moving, through during the procedure. 

It's been about a year and a half since I had mine, but I want to say it was only about $250.. and I was all OOP.  It might have been closer to $500, but I know it was not in the $1000 range.  Talk to the billing department of your doctor's office.  I am sure they will work something out with you.  (I used a FLEX spending account for all of my IF Tx)
    Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"