Georgia Babies
Options

email etiquette question

I emailed T's preK teacher this morning about a conference.  I cc'd my husband on the email and BCC'd the principal.
Do you think it's cool that the Principal did a reply all?  Kinda irritates me bc if I had wanted the teacher to know I copied the principal, I wouldn't have keep it blind.  

Basically, I have some issues and concerns with T's class, and the teacher.  The principal is aware of some of it, so I wanted to keep her in the loop.  But we've discussed at length that I want to be very careful in my approach with the teacher because I don't fully trust how she will react to some of my concerns so I wanted to make sure they aren't unfounded before I take issue with it. 

I'm not really sure how to respond to the email that the principal sent and copied the teacher on.  
The teacher's email said "sure, I can meet any time except for...." and the principal's email said, "I can meet tomorrow at 2:30, do you want the teacher to be present?"

WWYD?

Re: email etiquette question

• Options
    Sounds like the principal didn't realize you bcc'd her.  I wouldn't worry about it. If the teacher asks, just tell her you wanted to keep the principal in the loop that you were having a conference with her, since it sounds like that's what you were trying to set up anyways.
  • Options
    Actually, that is standard practice at Gavin's school.  Even says so in the handbook.  The principal will NOT discuss anything without the teachers knowledge and without the teacher being present and she will not even speak to a parent until she has confirmed that the teacher is aware.  She doesn't find it productive.  I'm sure it also prevents a lot of he said/she said. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think that principal is confused and rushing. They always seem to be in a rush!!

Just to give you a teacher's point of view, I HATE it (yes, all caps) when a parent goes to my boss rather than talking to me first about issues. I'm not sure what problems you are having and maybe its too late, but I would go directly to the teacher first.

Good luck though. I know situations like this one are super stressful and not fun. I hope you can get it figured out.

• Options

I think that principal is confused and rushing. They always seem to be in a rush!!

Just to give you a teacher's point of view, I HATE it (yes, all caps) when a parent goes to my boss rather than talking to me first about issues. I'm not sure what problems you are having and maybe its too late, but I would go directly to the teacher first.

Good luck though. I know situations like this one are super stressful and not fun. I hope you can get it figured out.

Thanks for the feedback. And I think you hit the nail on the head with both points. I typically do address issues directly with the teacher w/o involving the principal but I think it's necessary in this situation, so I was already feeling like a jerk about it bf the principal accidentally ratted me out :) The principal actually stopped by to talk to me when I was picking the girls up from school and said she was sorry she copied the teacher on her reply. My reason for involving the principal is that I want to give the teacher the benefit of the doubt, but if my concerns turn out to be validated, there will need to be action taken ASAP. I have casually mentioned a few of my concerns directly to the teacher as they have popped up and unfortunately caught her in at least 2 boldface lies. It sucks. The first issue was that I had "heard" from a friend that she had heard from a friend that knew a kid that was in this teachers class last year that she would punish them by taking away bathroom privileges. These kids are 4 and 5 years old. Well the story went that she wouldn't let a kid go to the bathroom and then he had an accident at nap time and she made a big deal about it and humiliated the kid in front of the class. Sounds ridiculous, right? Fast fwd to this year and my child, who knew nothing about that story, tells me one day that she had to have quiet time because she was talking too much during story time but that she "didn't lose her bathroom privileges!" No way that's a coincidence, my child can't even pronounce privileges correctly. The two things I've caught her red handed on are turning out all of the lights in the classroom and making the kids do their class work in the dark. No lamp, and there are blinds over the only window in the classroom. All day long. She denied that but 2 days later I went to the school and the lights were out from 8:20 and never turned on by 10:55 when they went to lunch. They were off until after nap time when it was time to pack up for the day. Also, she is makes them have quiet/rest time for longer than it is supposed to be. The first time I asked about it she told me that she was letting them sleep an extra 15 minutes because they had a long recess and all of the kids were exhausted. But I've been by the school on 3 other occasions to check and see if she had them up at the right time and all 3 times the lights were out and kids were still on mats 15-20 minutes after nap time should have been over. It's the most depressing, negative environment I have ever witnessed in a preschool setting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"