November 2013 Moms

Chiropractor safety

I know many people visit the chiro while pregnant but there is one aspect that always makes me cringe... My chiro has me lay on my stomach on a regular table with a bolster to support my bump. While the bolster provides some support, I definitely feel pressure as she is adjusting my back. And I keep telling myself there are plenty of layers protecting the little peanut but I can't help but feeling like it can't be good!!!! Anyone else have a chiro do the same? I was planning on asking if there is an alternative to laying belly down at my next appointment but was curious if anyone else experienced the same thing?

Re: Chiropractor safety

• I went for the first time ever at 14 weeks. I could still lay on my stomach comfortably, but not while getting pushed on! My next visit I told him no more belly laying. He now does everything with me in my sides or back.

• Uuummmm, NO! My chiro has a table with the belly cut out specifically for pregnant women or if I want to skip that he can adjust me while I'm sitting. Ask to be adjusted while sitting, if they say it can't be done I think I would have to skip the treatment.
  • Loading the player...
  • My chiro has a special pillow for pregnancy, though I hadn't needed it until the last few weeks, aka when my stomach grew exponentially. Had just been using a pillow under my hips. I'd ask about something like that, otherwise you might need to go somewhere else!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm definitely not agreeing to go belly down from now on.... But now I feel like a bad mommy! :((
  • My chiropractor has a table where the part underneath my belly drops down so my stomach doesn't touch the table. She can also adjust me while laying on my back.
  • I also get adjusted laying on my sides and on my back. I've been getting adjusted like that since about 16 weeks.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm definitely not agreeing to go belly down from now on.... But now I feel like a bad mommy! :((

Don't feel bad! I'm sure everything is fine, LO has lots of protection in there :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kfran84 said:
    I also get adjusted laying on my sides and on my back. I've been getting adjusted like that since about 16 weeks.

Same here
    Anniversary
  • JodieArms said:

Uuummmm, NO! My chiro has a table with the belly cut out specifically for pregnant women or if I want to skip that he can adjust me while I'm sitting. Ask to be adjusted while sitting, if they say it can't be done I think I would have to skip the treatment.

This, my chiro drops the middle of the table out to create a space for my belly to go. If you're uncomfortable with the positioning, definitely ask to be adjusted in another position.
    Mr. & Mrs. B, Est. 10.23.2009
    m/c: 9/06/12
    LTB: 10/23/13
    Baby B 2.0 EDD: 3/15/16

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sooo with my DS, I went in to get adjusted at 38 weeks - Dr used the pillow you are talking about with me. One adjustment and I felt a gush and was wet. Yep, my water broke ON the table!! I ended up giving birth 10 hours later!

I still go see the chiropractor during this pregnancy at least once a week. However, he only adjusts me while I lay on my back or side. My experience may have freaked him out a bit :-) I plan on not going at all in Nov just to be on the safe side since I want DD to stay cooking until due date.
  • Mine doesn't let me lay on my belly while pregnant. He has me on my back to do my neck then on either side for hips then up against the wall and he cracks it giving me some sort of bear hug. There's definitely other ways
  • tiki8286 said:

Sooo with my DS, I went in to get adjusted at 38 weeks - Dr used the pillow you are talking about with me. One adjustment and I felt a gush and was wet. Yep, my water broke ON the table!! I ended up giving birth 10 hours later!

I still go see the chiropractor during this pregnancy at least once a week. However, he only adjusts me while I lay on my back or side. My experience may have freaked him out a bit :-) I plan on not going at all in Nov just to be on the safe side since I want DD to stay cooking until due date.

Aaaaand I'm officially done with chiro visits!!! I had never gone prior to this and wasn't comfortable to begin with. Thank you for sharing your experiences.... My lesson learned is to always listen to my gut! I should have said something from the start!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"