Baby Names
Options

NN Spelling

I think we have finally agreed on our baby girl's name! Alaina Paige!!! I love the NN Laney/Lainey but I'm not sure how to spell it. I prefer the spelling Laney, but, does Lainey look better with Alaina?

Lilypie - (jCE1)

Lilypie - (mQ2I)

Daisypath - (hLYb)

Re: NN Spelling

• Options
    Either is fine.  In your case, I like Lainey better, because it preserves the "lain" from the original name.

However, you might consider just using Lainey/Laney as a verbal nn and always using Alaina on paper.  We do this with my son.  My son's name is Timothy, but we call him "Tim" at least 50% of the time.  On paper he's ALWAYS Timothy.  Teachers and other adults figure out that he goes by "Tim" pretty quickly and begin to use the nn, but he always introduces himself with the full name and always uses the full name when he writes it.  It's actually not confusing for the child at all and it saves a ton of confusion for everyone else.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Either us fine, since it's the NN. If Laney is the one you prefer, use it...though I'm not sure when you will. In text messages, I guess? Or do you plan to put it on the birth announcement, holiday cards, etc.? Both DDs have NNs that I spell differently on any given day (in texts). I usually just use their formal names if I'm writing something about them, signing their names on a card, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Either is fine... it doesn't matter too much. But my personal preference is to preserve the "lain" from her full name and go with Lainey.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I much prefer Lainey, the other way looks weird.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I agree with using Lainey since it matches her first name.

Lilypie - (jCE1)

Lilypie - (mQ2I)

Daisypath - (hLYb)

• Options
    If you really like the Alaina spelling, then I would stick with Lainey. However, I prefer the spelling Elena. With that spelling, I would go with Laney.
  • Options
    I worked with an Elaine that went by "Laine" pronounced "Laney."  Wasn't a big deal and everyone knew who she was and how to say her name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"