Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding older infant - how often?

Hello- my son is 9 months next week and I have had a MAJOR drop in supply in the last week or so. I am trying to figure out if I can try to push more solids while he is at DC and send him with less milk? Here is his basic schedule M-Th (Friday-Sunday I offer every two hours/ nurse on demand):

5:30 - breastfeed
7:15 - breast feed (right before DC)
8-3:30 - two solid meals, one snack, 11 oz of milk (he doesn't always finish the bottles)
4 - breast feed
6 - Solid dinner
6:45 - breastfeed
Midnight - breastfeed (I don't see him dropping this feeding anytime soon.

He eats from both breasts at all feedings. He is very active - almost walking and is growing well. What do you think? What do should I expect?

Re: Breastfeeding older infant - how often?

• That's about the same schedule as my almost 9 month old.  But she wants 3 bottles at daycare so I've started supplementing :( I can't hardly pump anything now, I might stop and see what happens to the morning and night feedings.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think everything sounds pretty normal for around that age.  I was looking back at my journal and my LO was still wanting milk 4-6 times/day.  Good for you for still pumping.  I was not able to hardly get anything at that point.  Good luck.
    Visit The Nest
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm SAHM and DS is almost 11 months now.  When he was 9months old, I was BFing him 6x a day.  I dropped him to 5x a day when he turned 10 months.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dd is 9m also and we're at 5x/day. Plus I pump an extra time but I think I'm going to drop that if I can. So it sounds normal to me for this age. I've been pumping less per session but I'm wondering if that's normal because she's eating more solids.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • It seems common to have a supply drop around 8-9 months.  Has your cycle returned?  It could be that.  You can also try all the little things to give your supply a boost like the tea, fenugreek, oatmeal and flax, etc.
    When I hit the 9 month supply drop, I gave myself permission to send what I pumped, and let solids make up the rest.  It seemed like just dropping that pressure from myself got me back on track to pumping enough.  That was exactly what I needed to help me get through to a year (plus.)
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • TJ- my cycle has not returned yet. I like what you have suggested about just sending what you pump. O has also been on the low end for weight (4%) and so I worry a lot about his caloric intake. When I picked him up at DC his DCP told me that he has become less interested in his 3rd bottle and so we are going to try out just two bottles. I sent 2 5 oz bottles today and I will see what he takes. That would be 10 oz plus 2 solid meals in 7 hours. I am so ready to be done pumping, although I know it is worth it.

Thank you everyone for your reply!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"