February 2014 Moms
Options

Flying to Hawaii at 23 weeks - egad.

Ok, I'm gonna make this short n' sweet! Ladies: I'm going to be flying from Ottawa-Chicago and then Chicago to Hawaii at 23 weeks in October. My mother-in-law surprised us with the plane tickets. Half my brain is like "Sweet! Relaxo/no-work time while pregnant! What a score!" And then the other half of my brain is all "OMG FLYING = BLOOD CLOTS AND DEHYDRATION AND GERMS AND FOOD POISONING AND OH CRAP, WILL MY BABY BE OKAY???" (You may have guessed at this point that I have PgAL brain something awful. Still. lol.) 

My question is: have you guys flown while pregnant, particularly in the second trimester, and had an okay experience? My paranoia has me convinced that something's going to go horribly wrong. Of course all of my pregnancy reference books hardly make a thing out of it at all - just basically "wear compression stockings and enjoy your trip!" Mind you, I made the awful, face-palm mistake of consulting Dr.Google and was bombarded by a thousand horror stories. Lovely. If anyone can offer me any tales of reassurance, I would come through your screen with a plate of thank-you cookies if I could. 

(note - my pregnancy so far has been 100% healthy and uneventful, and I'm calling my doc for approval for this trip today.) 

Re: Flying to Hawaii at 23 weeks - egad.

• Options
    I did a couple of transatlantic flights (~8 hours) in my second trimester with DS1. I didn't wear compression stockings and I was fine, although I did get up to walk more often than I would have otherwise. Enjoy Hawaii!

~ Married 10.30.04 ~
    DS1 born 12.31.11 ~ DS2 born 2.4.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm a flight attendant and still flying. Trust me, you'll be totally fine! Move around, hydrate, bring your own food (fruit and veggies) and you'll be all set! Have fun!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're going to St John at 25 weeks.  My doctor could not possibly have been less concerned.  And there isn't even really a hospital there.  This is the kind of thing where crossing the street every morning is more dangerous (just less notable).  And this is coming from someone whose husband had a freak pulmonary embolism three years ago -- so I'm attune to the issue.  ENJOY!
  • Options
    I'm 22 weeks and leaving for Hawaii this Wednesday! I'm freaking out too. Glad I'm not alone! Is it mandatory to get approval from your doc to fly?

• Options
    Oh you will be fine. I flew until 30 weeks, it's no big deal. Just get up and walk, don't complain or expect special treatment and you will have a pleasant experience! Have fun.
  • Options
    Guys, thank you SO MUCH. I'm healthy with a healthy pregnancy, not teetering on the edge of critically ill or something. I've been making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

I think besides the PgAL brain, I've also been struggling with some "bad mom" guilt already. That nasty part of my brain chimes in when I'm doing nice things for myself, like "A good mom would put her baby first and not fling herself across the ocean for a vacation!" etc. 

You guys have put me at ease :-) I appreciate it!! 

Oh, and NikkiPHNIC - 
    I'm 22 weeks and leaving for Hawaii this Wednesday! I'm freaking out too. Glad I'm not alone! Is it mandatory to get approval from your doc to fly?
    I don't think it's mandatory for doctor approval (I hear a lot of airlines wont even ask, even if you're super-showing) but some airlines have a super strict cut-off for pregnant women - usually it's around 35 weeks, but I've heard that a few airlines like to cut you off at 26 weeks! So it's a good idea to check with the airline first, I've heard - and a doctor's note probably never hurts. I'm gonna get one. 
  • Options
    I flew from Atlanta to Maui and back (stopping at LAX) at 22 weeks.  It was fine.

Drink plenty of water, get up when you can, and compression socks/stockings can help with swelling.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options
    sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited September 2013

I fly frequently for work, and did during my pregnancy with my daughter, too.  Our family also lives on the East coast, which means frequent 6-hour flights to see them.  I have had no issues.  I get up every hour or so and walk to the other end of the plane to use the bathroom or get a drink or whatever, and I drink a ton of water.

You will be fine!  Have fun in Hawaii!

BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options

"I think besides the PgAL brain, I've also been struggling with some "bad mom" guilt already. That nasty part of my brain chimes in when I'm doing nice things for myself, like "A good mom would put her baby first and not fling herself across the ocean for a vacation!" etc. "

A happy mom makes for a happy baby!  Part of being a good mom -- now and for the next 18 years -- is taking care of yourself.  Start practicing now!

• Options
    I've been flying a lot, and have done fine with wearing compression stockings and drinking lots of water. For the compression stockings, it's ideal to get measured by a physician you can be sure you are buying the correct size and compression level.

Enjoy Hawaii! I will be going there myself at 25 weeks :)

I completely understand your point about the mom guilt. It's hard to take time for myself and spend money on myself knowing there is a baby coming!
  • Options
    We flew to Hawaii a couple weeks ago.  Granted it was only from San Diego (6 hour flight), but still, that's a long time to sit in one position.  My doc said it was fine but make sure to stay hydrated and get up and walk the aisle occasionally.  You will anyways, because if you're anything like me, you'll have to pee every 5 minutes.  Have fun!  Which island/s are you going to?
  • Options
    I flew last pregnancy, with no issues (last flight at 22 weeks).  This time around, I'll be moving at 34 weeks pregnant- with an almost 2 year old.  From Guam to who knows where.  I'm already dreading the flight.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I flew about a week ago at 20+ weeks. I wore compression sleeves on my calves, didn't have swelling issues. I would recommend an aisle seat though for pee breaks, I was in the middle the whole time and felt bad waking the sleeping passenger next to me, and also had a hard time bending straight over to grab stuff off the floor.. I even forgot my water bottle on the plane because it was too uncomfortable to bend down and look around for scattered stuff. Overall it wasn't much worse than flying not pregnant, though i'd imagine by third trimester it could be pretty miserable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MissDemeanorMissDemeanor member
    edited October 2013
    Personally, I could wear compression socks all the time! I wear my snowboard socks around the house now for that reason. ! Have a wonderful vacation!
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I have been flying nearly every month (1x a month) since I was 6 weeks, and have had no issues. I leave this weekend for Maui and I'll be 23 weeks. I'm just seconding what others have said. :)
    October Siggy Challenge "Scared People"
    BFP#1: 10-20-12 Missed M/C: 11-30-12
    BFP#2: 5-26-13 Due Date 2-2-14 
    COUNTDOWN BEGINS
    COMING 2-2-14
    BABY K

• Options
    I'm flying from the Northwest to the Midwest at 33 weeks for Christmas and I've been a tad concerned about it, but my doctor cleared me to go before I bought tickets and just recommended that we buy travel insurance in case something happens between now and then and I need to cancel.
    Batman_dickbutt photo 328_batmansmall.jpg

Feb. 2014 Moms January Siggy Challenge: Cute & Clumsy Animals
    Maru!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"