November 2013 Moms
Options

"All that matters is a healthy baby!"

Here's my random post of the day.

I've seen the phrase "all that matters is a healthy baby!" pop up here and there on the board (or on 3rd Tri or elsewhere) a few times so I felt like now, as many of us are starting to deliver our babies might be a really good time to bring this up.

Please be mindful of not saying that phrase to other women. A healthy baby is NOT the only goal of a delivery. A healthy mom is equally as important, and many women who go through traumatic birth experiences feel like their feelings aren't justified or that their experiences were inconsequential or petty when people say that.

More info here: https://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2011/2/27/comforting-a-woman-traumatized-by-her-birth-experience.html#sthash.Ldmnq7BX.dpbs
And a good post about the emotions behind being disappointed your birth didn't turn out the way you wanted: https://theswaddledsprout.com/2013/01/31/all-that-matters-is-a-healthy-baby/

And a great post by Rixa Freeze that really gets into the illogical component of phrases like that: https://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2010/07/all-that-matters.html

I have two dear friends (other Bumpies) who've been diagnosed with PTSD due to their birth experiences. It's not uncommon, and I would hope over the coming months we can all be mindful of the fears others in our group might experience.

And for good measure: GROUP HUG!! :P
Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.

Re: "All that matters is a healthy baby!"

• Options
    Great point! I am also guilty of saying this and since I have had a few issues I am able to see the other side now and completely agree! Thanks for the post:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This reminds me of a discussion we had a long time ago when it comes down to DH/FI/SO having to make a decision to either to save LO or us.

I totally agree people forget that the mother's health is just important as LO.
  • Options

I think this is nice and helpful, I even say that phrase but in my defense I had a very tramatic delivery.

My baby was healthy but I was rushed to the ICU, had to have a platelet transfusion.  The Dr.s words to my husband were "if she had come in 2 hours later you would have gone home a single Dad".

I still stand by saying the most important part is a healthy baby. I would rather my child survive than me if it came down to it.

I'm sure this is not everyones opinion or maybe even a UO, but thats how I felt. I was depressed about the delevery for a while afterwards but never wavered my feelings on her being the most important part.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic              image 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    SJacques7 said:
    In 2004 my birth plan never made it to the hospital as I was rushed in for an emergency csection, delivered a beautiful baby girl. In 2005 that birth plan didn't make it again as I was taken to the OR to have my dead baby removed from my body. In 2012 I had a miscarriage. In 2013 I don't give a shit about how I would like to deliver this little guy as long as he does get to come home healthy. My opinion may not be popular but it's my responsibility as a mother to put my baby before my wants. I'm not trying to minimize anybody's experience but right now we are all healthy and should recognize that our birth plans may not be fulfilled before we even walk through the l&d doors! We can't change what has happened to women in the past but we can prepare ourselfs for a better future. Don't set yourself up for failure because your delivery had to change coarse. Most importantly make sure you have a support system waiting at home for you if your coarse does change. I know my DH and I have already discussed the what ifs for this pregnancy.
    I am very sorry you had that experience, but you've totally missed my point. It often has NOTHING to do with "my birth didn't follow my birth plan". And again, YOUR experience and how YOU perceive it might be totally different than someone else who's had very similar experience - and both you and another woman deserve to not have your feelings dismissed.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    I have to admit that, while I do want a healthy baby at the end of this, I'm selfish enough that I don't want to leave my husband a widower, or having to take care of a traumatized, physically disabled wife as well as a newborn.  I know I'll love this little one to bits once she arrives, but at the moment, it's hard to imagine being willing to die or suffer lasting trauma for her.  If this means people think I'm a "bad mother" so be it; I think I'm being realistic about what I am capable of handling, and what I am not.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

March 24bimageimageimage
  • Options
    I understand the PPs saying that they value the health of their baby over their own; I'm sure a lot of us feel this way.

What some are missing here is that by saying the ONLY thing that matters is a healthy baby by definition nothing else does. Many of us would agree that is the most important, but it shouldn't stop there.

The point is that while we will all celebrate the healthy arrival of our babies some of us will still have some negative feelings about what occurs during labor and delivery. For those that have had and will have experiences that they need to work through it isn't going to be helpful to just throw out the platitude that everything is fine since the baby is healthy.
  • Options

I love this post, thank you for posting it and the links, I agree a healthy baby is important of course, but so is a healthy mom!  

Last night we were out for supper with my FIL, and he said something that has been bothering me all day, but I couldn't quite place why it bothered me so much..and now I realize why.   Here's the scenario

He mentions how it's important for me to stay healthy these next few weeks (I'm currently 34w, don't know how to do a ticker so I can't put one in my signature)..and I agreed that yes I want to try and stay healthy these next few weeks.   Then he goes on to say how his GF's grandbaby has cerebral palsy and at age 1 can barely hold her head up, and continues to describe the future of this child.   Then he continued to say so you make sure you stay healthy, healthy healthy healthy (literally he said it 4 times).  (when I asked further turns out the parents knew their baby would have cerebral palsy before it was born, so it wasn't a surprise at birth)  I did not ask if she wasn't healthy through pregnancy, because I wasn't quite comfortable iwth the whole conversation, and my overly emotional self was saddened to hear about this child who has a lifetime illness.

It wasn't until I read this that I realized he basically was placing the blame on me if heaven forbid I have a baby with anything wrong.   He would equate that to me not staying healthy or not "following the rules", or who know's what I might have done wrong...That really bothers me.   I don't know if my baby will be perfect or healthy.

I don't think it's fair to hold that on the mother if it's not healthy, or if something goes wrong.  

and PP who posted about being rushed to ICU shortly after baby is born, that is so scary, glad you all made it out ok!

• Options
    @littlemama01 ugh I hope that's not what you're FIL was implying because that is awful. :(

• Options
    cagoldi said:
    I understand the PPs saying that they value the health of their baby over their own; I'm sure a lot of us feel this way.

What some are missing here is that by saying the ONLY thing that matters is a healthy baby by definition nothing else does. Many of us would agree that is the most important, but it shouldn't stop there.

The point is that while we will all celebrate the healthy arrival of our babies some of us will still have some negative feelings about what occurs during labor and delivery. For those that have had and will have experiences that they need to work through it isn't going to be helpful to just throw out the platitude that everything is fine since the baby is healthy.
    Yep. That's what the link from Rixa Freeze's blog illustrates. We ALL want healthy babies; to assume any women want a terrible outcome is a tautology. And to make assumptions/statements that the ONLY thing that matters is the baby's health ignoresthe fact that many other things also come into play in birth situations and mothers need to be able to process those emotions in a safe, healthy way without blame or dismissal.
  • Options

I completely understand the point you are trying to make and agree to a certain degree. However, I had a very rough delivery with DD and an extremely painful recovery. It would have been very easy for me to throw a big pity party for myself about how scary my injuries were and how much pain I was in. It was a completely freak complication that very rarely happens and I could have laid around and wondered why me. The only thing that helped me through the immediate injury and the several weeks after while I was recovering was that DD was there and she was safe. Whenever I would start to feel down or pity myself I clung to my daughter and rejoiced that she was ok and that I was taking the brunt of the injury and not her. So in my situation that phrase "all that matters is the baby is healthy" saved me mentally. I cling to that phrase again with this labor. I am terrified of labor and have to go into it ok with the idea that I have bare the brunt of pain and risk I may have another freak complication but I would much rather I am the one in pain than my child.

I think mentally you are a warrior and this perspective is more helpful to tell someone. I am taking the pain my child does not have to bear. I like that idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"