December 2013 Moms

Pregnancy Know-It-Alls

2»

Re: Pregnancy Know-It-Alls

• @jenniferbromley  My husband and I do the LI Marathon every year (well, he does the marathon, I do the 10k or the half because I'm not flippin' crazy) and I'm thinking that by May I could at least be back to running 6.2...

Or maybe I am flippin' crazy...?  We shall see.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • @Northport6 you are not crazy. You are awesome! May is 100% doable for 6.2 ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Who's ready for all the unwanted advise a mother in law is going to throw at you >_<
    photo d23effce-d468-477e-941f-2e772f3afddb_zpsd1cd4bbb.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Who's ready for all the unwanted advise a mother in law is going to throw at you >_<
    My MIL believes that newborns feed every 4 hours and sleep through the night at four weeks.  I'm ready for the crazy.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • My mother in law expressed how by three months old a baby should begin table food (her older son & first grand child were are still very big)
    photo d23effce-d468-477e-941f-2e772f3afddb_zpsd1cd4bbb.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @northport6 sorry about the unwanted advice. People suck. Yummmm on the butterfingers. I may have to go get some tomorrow :-)

@superspecialsnowflake that pie looks heavenly!

@jenniferbromley I want a onesie like that too, just because I really don't want to hear it LOL

I just don't understand why people have such a hard time keeping their opinions to themselves. I'm a little less upset about it now, but I know I'll get stabby when the parenting advice comes in.

I told my best friend when she was pregnant that I hear everyone gives advice and to just take it with a grain of salt and let it go in one ear and out the other, and just do things as she wants and sees fit. Hopefully I can follow my own advice without killing anyone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MEP923MEP923 member
    edited October 2013
    I can beat you all. My MIL thinks it's fine for newborns to have cereal right away and it is a perfect solution for babies who don't sleep through the night. She sees no issue with spooning peanut butter into the baby's mouth as long as they can swallow it. None of her kids had allergies so it's fine apparently. Anything her kids did and was fine is fine for every baby.
    Oh yea she also thinks kids have the same percentage of getting a disease after a vaccination. She says chicken pox are just as popular today as it ever was.

imageimage

• MEP923 said:

I can beat you all. My MIL thinks it's fine for newborns to have cereal right away and it is a perfect solution for babies who don't sleep through the night. She sees no issue with spooning peanut butter into the baby's mouth as long as they can swallow it. None of her kids had allergies so it's fine apparently. Anything her kids did and was fine is fine for every baby.

I raise you one crazy MIL for another. My MIL told me she couldn't take the pressure of bottle feeding her children, so at 2 weeks old, she was introducing cereal and then by a month, baby food. She couldn't wait for them to grow up. She literally used the word "annoying" when talking about a newborn.
    I also told her I would not be helping paint the baby's room because the color I want comes in BEHR only. She said "really???? I can't believe the things I used to do when I was pregnant! I'd be an awful mom these days apparently!" :|
  • MEP923 said:
    Not to be dramatic BUT DON'T LEAVE YOUR CHILDREN ALONE WITH HER.

DITTO!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @jenniferbromley  My husband and I do the LI Marathon every year (well, he does the marathon, I do the 10k or the half because I'm not flippin' crazy) and I'm thinking that by May I could at least be back to running 6.2...

Or maybe I am flippin' crazy...?  We shall see.
    Well crapola, I suddenly feel like my expectations of a half by the first week of June are ridick..... Now what am I going to do.

• MEP923 said:

Yea I feel you. Now that DS1 is older it's not so bad but I feel like this is going to be a fight between me and DH with the new baby. I think he's in denial of just how crazy she is.

imageimage

...acceptable and unacceptable names, what I should eat, what my DH should eat, how much weight to gain, where the newborn must sleep...shall I go on?!?! :(
  • I have a friend like this... Told me not to buy anything and to borrow it from people if I needed it. Pissed me off because I want my own things for LO, plus she doesn't know my financial situation and what we can afford

It also made me mad that she told me to borrow all my maternity clothes. NO! Sorry thanks but no thanks...we are two different sizes and not to mention I don't want you mad at me when I give you your pants back with a hole in the crotch because my legs rub together!
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Oh no. I might be one of those people! I saw a picture on fb the other day with a baby really incorrectly buckled into their carseat - like if they braked too hard that kid would be ejected and theyd definitely not survive a crash. I commented with a link to a carseat safety guide with pictures showing dos and donts lol. I usually keep my mouth shut, but I just can't stand seeing people endangering their kids. That's the only time I've ever said anything though..
    image image

• I could not understand you more! I have a friend like that and it really grinds my gears lol
  • MEP923 said:

MEP923 said:

Yea I feel you. Now that DS1 is older it's not so bad but I feel like this is going to be a fight between me and DH with the new baby. I think he's in denial of just how crazy she is.

Fake a food allergy! Tell her that your kid is allergic to peanuts, milk, egg, rice, gluten, etc. Then she won't want anything to do with babysitting!

Thankfully, MIL and step FIL have announced 'no babysitting' and I hope it doesn't change when they finally meet my cute little bugger!

SIL gives me aaaaaall of the advice in the world. She's already a one-upper, know it all and dealing with everyone pregnant around her just makes her blurt out more so she looks and sounds like she would be 'The Best Mother of Them All'!
  • Ugh, pregnancy-know-it-alls are so flipping obnoxious. My favorite so far? When I posted about leaving for Disney World and this girl writes "Don't be afraid of the roller coasters! I rode them all at 5 months pregnant. Must be why Scarlett is so wild! Tee hee!" 

Umm no. Just no. And when I went to the hospital a week later for preterm labor you know what she said? "Maybe you overdid it at Disney." Suck my *expletive*, lady.
    Omg are you serious?! 
    Unfortunately yes. She also kindly gives me unsolicited advice like "Oh you have small boobs like me so you'll have to formula feed. That's better anyway, she slept through the night so much faster because they get more that way."
    WTF? What an asshat! She needs a serious thrashing.

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

(Always in our hearts baby Erwan 22/03/11. 22w + 5d)

Since my MIL & GMIL tend to ignore me when I'm around, I'm not too concerned.  But I hope DH is ready! 

Married 8/2012
    DS born 12/2013 @ 41w2d
    BFP #2 EDD 10/2015

• mmm... butterfinger pie....

Where did you find that? It's my favorite! My mouth is watering soo effing bad. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh boy, she sounds pleasant... Babies aren't even here yet and we have to put up with the sanctimonious BS.

A random stranger at Pea in the Pod yesterday overheard me tell the sales clerk which breast pump I got, and chimed in "Oh, that one's terrible. I bought it and it was defective." My response was, "Mine was free, thanks to insurance and they'll replace it if it breaks. That sucks for you though." I think I'm frozen in Permabitch mode.

• What annoys me is that most persistent advice has nothing to do with safety or vital issues. Who cares how long I hold my kid or how I dress him. I plan on pointing to my healthy two year old and telling family members I raised this one so far just fine, I can make decisions for my second born too.  
  • My biggest annoyances this pregnancy:

1) Those who keep telling me how busy I am going to be & how I'm going to "have my hands full" because DS will have just turned 2 when DS2 is born. Really? having 2 kids will be more work than having 1? Who'da thunk it? & thanks for making me feel better about my already crazy life.

2) My mother... constantly telling me about how birth will be & how this or that is common in pregnancy. As if she forgets she already has a grandson from me sitting right there. I think I know what is involved in giving birth.

My 2 December boys

• erinandmoonerinandmoon member
    edited October 2013
    I was told not to eat pizza cus it's not "healthy for the baby." Excuse me lady, but (1) pizza is my fave food and (2) u were last pregnant like 20 years ago. Leave me alone!!!
    Our baby boy is on his way.  Now if we could only decide on a name!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • One older lady pulled my husband aside at church and asked when I was due. He told her 12/23, and she replied "She is going to be HUGE!". Everyone always asks if I 'm sure it's not twins. I think my dr can read a sonogram people! I am 5'7" tall and slender..long legs but have NO torso. So there's nowhere for the baby to go but out.
    ~*~
    Started dating my HS Sweetheart 2.26.2001 -- Married him 6.17.2006
    Started trying for our family 6.20.2012 -- BFP 4.16.2013 -- EDD 12.23.2013
    It's a GIRL!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"