Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

When to extend feedings

At what age do you start to extend feedings ? My 3 month old eats about 6-7 oz every 3 hours during the day so 5 bottkes. He sleeps through the night. When you extend to every 4 hours it will only be 4 bottles so less food. So I'm confused on how you extend ?

Re: When to extend feedings

• Options
    When their stomachs get bigger & don't need to eat as much.
  • Options
    So they will eat less? Meaning for example 4 7 oz bottles instead of 5 7 oz bottles? Doesn't seem to make sense lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your question
  • Options
    You don't have to extend them.  When baby starts draining the 7 ounce bottle and is looking for more, you'll add an ounce.  That ounce will probably allow them to go a little longer before their next bottle.  But some babies max out with how much they can eat at one time.  There's nothing saying you have to transition to more ounces in fewer bottles.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Ok so is it normal to still be feeding every 3 1/2 hours when baby is say 5 months old ?
  • Options
    Just follow your babies cues, my daughter recently transitioned to 4 bottles a day. She eats 7-8oz 4x (7:30am, noon, 4pm and 7:30pm) and she sleeps 11-12 hours a night. My niece never transitioned to just 4 bottles she was still eating 5-6 bottles a day at 11 months. Every baby is different. 
    Mama to Sophie Virginia
    born 5/4/13 at 35 weeks 4 days

• Options
    Yes it is normal. =]
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"