April 2014 Moms
Options

OSHA lead violation?! (Kinda long, sorry!)

I have a bit of a vent/question. I work for a company that deals with brass casings for firearms. They buy in bulk from the military/police shooting ranges. They then sort it by caliber, clean, polish and resell to the public for reloading. I work in the office area doing inventory, paperwork etc. anyway, Friday OSHA showed up and they were hit with hefty fines for overexposing employees to high lead levels. We are now all having blood work done on wed. I wasn't planning on telling them we were expecting until after out 12w appt. next wed but I felt I needed to today. I sat down with them and explained I was expecting and due in April and that I wanted the numbers from the tests on friday to show my dr and wanted to know what the plan is going forward. His response is that I'm not as exposed being in this office...to which I interrupted him and said "I don't give a shit if its a little or a lot. It's an issue". He said he understood. And we left it at that. Lead exposure is a big deal! I'm kinda pissed. Especially at his reaction. Doesn't he know not to mess with a protective mama?! Maybe this was just more of a vent, Not sure what my question is besides how would you have reacted?

Re: OSHA lead violation?! (Kinda long, sorry!)

• Options
    The exact same way you did! I'm sure it will be fine because of your job, but how scary?!? I would have also immediately called my doctor even though there is probably no reason. I guess just for info on the odds of it being an issue. I am so sorry you are dealing with this! Keep us posted and I'm sending positive thoughts your way!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    That was brave of you!  good job :)
    image    image    image    image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The big question is how the air ventilation works.  Is the office on a separate ventilation system?  If it is, you should be fine.  But yeah, I'd be annoyed.  I don't go into certain stores anymore because they share an air system with indoor ranges.  I have no problem with outdoor setups, but indoors can cause high concentrations of lead.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. @hlm184 - their ventilation system is the issue. They have high levels in the air. They've been talking about installing a new one and a clean room etc for months but aren't doing anything until they're forced to now. They supposedly ordered a ventilation system this afternoon. They have 15 days to fix it. Scary!
  • Options
    I would be Fing pissed!!! You have every right to flip out. Can you work from home until they get that fixed?

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No working from home unfortunately. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they can't fix it in 2 weeks and they have to shut things down temporarily. Idiots.
  • Options
    Good for you for standing up for yourself! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

TTC since July 2011

BFP # 1: m/c at 7wks (EDD May 2012) 

BFP #2: c/p in Nov. 2012 

BFP #3: July 24th, 2013 (EDD April 4th, 2014)

*PgAL / PAL Always Welcome*

My Ovulation Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'd be pissed too!  I like to go target shooting with DH, who does reloading, but I have stopped shooting while pregnant and I avoid his reloading area because of the potential for lead exposure.  I hope that your numbers are low/non-existent.  
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options
    Hopefully you got a contact from when OSHA was in, just in case. Use them to help you out in case you have issues with the boss /feel uncomfortable working there before it is fixed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"