December 2013 Moms

Pregnancy Know-It-Alls

Slightly uncharacteristic vent from me: I rarely post on Facebook anymore (TB has supplanted my FB usage because it is more relevant to my life right now). And here's a good example of why.

My innocuous status update: "I have a feeling I will have two settings in October: eating, sleeping."

Pregnancy Know-It-All friend: sleeping, not so much. Eating and peeing, more like it."

Well, since she lives four states away and doesn't keep current with me much, I respond: "That's one stereotype I've been fortunate to avoid so far."

Her response: "Talk to me at week 36."

Nails on a motherf*cking chalkboard. For a woman who's been pregnant twice and has had plenty of friends with children, you'd think she'd know a) every pregnancy is different, b) that since I don't post much, she doesn't know what's going on in my pregnancy and c) shut the f*ck up with your know-it-all tone. Back to TB I go, adios Facebook.

Where's my bag of fun-sized Butterfingers, dammit?
Lilypie - (V9Ze)

Re: Pregnancy Know-It-Alls

• Oh thank g-d YESSSSS.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • I know people think they're being cute, but it annoys the shit out of me too.

I have a friend who has NO children who tells me everything to expect, what's normal, what's not, and what I need to do.

Actually, I have a few friends like that. Sigh.

Here's to still sleeping at 36 weeks!
  • Loading the player...
  • @superspecialsnowflake do you have a link to that deliciousness? Must have butterfinger pie....
       EDD for #2 is December 8th, 2013, so excited for our 2nd team green baby! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @Cashingn2 Maybe -- JUST MAYBE -- if she asked how I was doing at any point before this, I'd have cut her comment more slack BUT PROBABLY NOT.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • we have a new lunch guy at work who I have never spoken to or purchased anything from and today he came up to tell me about how hard it was to have a baby..

Thanks dude.
    Omg TP!
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012
    BFP#2 4/4/2013 - Born at 37w3d on 11/26/13 via emergency c-section
    Loving our beautiful rainbow baby boy Archer!

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • MEP923MEP923 member
    edited September 2013
    I seriously feel you. I stopped posting on Facebook much less before pregnancy but now that I am pregnant it's even less. I think Thebump has filled my time so much better. I try to avoid pregnancy updates altogether because I don't want to hear it. When the baby is a newborn I plan to avoid writing much either. Mainly because I don't want anyone's advice. I know people who post almost daily updates on baby's sleep schedule etc and then get mad when people give advice. I don't get why they don't just keep that info private.

imageimage

• People can be so presumptuous.  A friend of my sister's is an ER nurse, who also happens to be pregnant with her first.  Every time I see her she compares our pregnancies and always acts like some how mine is so abnormal.  She's due 2 months after me, which first of all makes a big difference and we are two different people! Ugh!
    BFP 9/10/12 m/c 10/26/12 BFP 2/10/13 Blighted Ovum m/c 3/12/13 
    Surprise BFP 4/15/13 Mark Anne Born 12/15/13 

• Ugh, pregnancy-know-it-alls are so flipping obnoxious. My favorite so far? When I posted about leaving for Disney World and this girl writes "Don't be afraid of the roller coasters! I rode them all at 5 months pregnant. Must be why Scarlett is so wild! Tee hee!" 

Umm no. Just no. And when I went to the hospital a week later for preterm labor you know what she said? "Maybe you overdid it at Disney." Suck my *expletive*, lady.
    Omg are you serious?! 
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • Yeah I definitely know people like that. What gets really annoying is when the FTMs start telling you exactly how you'll be feeling just because they felt that way. Gets under my skin....
    image   image
  • Yep I totally stay away from posting anything to FB pregnancy related. I don't want/need everyone's crazy advice.

My sweet girl Lilijana Jane 12/16/13
    View Full Size Image 
  • Ugh, pregnancy-know-it-alls are so flipping obnoxious. My favorite so far? When I posted about leaving for Disney World and this girl writes "Don't be afraid of the roller coasters! I rode them all at 5 months pregnant. Must be why Scarlett is so wild! Tee hee!" 

Umm no. Just no. And when I went to the hospital a week later for preterm labor you know what she said? "Maybe you overdid it at Disney." Suck my *expletive*, lady.
    Omg are you serious?! 
    Unfortunately yes. She also kindly gives me unsolicited advice like "Oh you have small boobs like me so you'll have to formula feed. That's better anyway, she slept through the night so much faster because they get more that way."
    Uggghhhh that's so irritating! Our whole summer holiday was like that, every family member or family friend we saw offering ridiculous and unsolicited advice about pregnancy or parenting. It made me glad to come back here where all of my friends know nothing about the topic, even if they are annoyingly clueless from time to time lol.

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • I know people think they're being cute, but it annoys the shit out of me too.

I have a friend who has NO children who tells me everything to expect, what's normal, what's not, and what I need to do.

Actually, I have a few friends like that. Sigh.

Here's to still sleeping at 36 weeks!

This.

My best friend does this all the fuckin time. Shut up!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
  • Kick. All. The. Shins.

geez...people are just stupid.

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• I want to rip people's faces off every time I hear "you just wait" or anything about how caring for a newborn is practically impossible and it's going to be "so hard". Ok. Thanks- but no thanks.

So, who's excited about the parenting advice that is sure to come?
    I have a FB friend who DOESN'T HAVE KIDS who gives me sanctimonious advice about pregnancy and parenting all the time. It makes me stabby.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Cashingn2 said:
    So far my favorites are not from my family...Here's my favorite one critiquing the bed/nap/eating routine I have DD on - "kids don't need schedules or routines until they're in school."

• Cashingn2 said:
    Oh yes, it's calmed down a little since I already have one but I have a feeling it's not done completely.
  • ugh, people like that are annoying.  and you guys are making me super hungry with that pie pic!! omg I want all the delicious food right now!

dude, people be cray!
  • @cash I got a newborn onesie that says "My mom doesn't want your advice" hahaa
    omg, best ever! haha
  • I hardly post anything on FB about this pregnancy because the older I get, the more I realize that most of the people I'm friends with on there could care less if I peed 1000 times today or if I'm wanting a whole bag of beef jerky or if I feel like I might explode. I save those comments for a select few, who I text, who can find the hilarity in it all. As far as pregnancy know-it-alls...so annoying. I'm on my third and I'm still learning things about pregnancy. Granted I probably have more experience than a FTM but I would never offer up advice or opinions without being asked...and I would do my best to not act like a nut. What is wrong with humanity that suddenly you can treat pregnant ladies like they have no feelings. Irritating.
  • edited October 2013
    Slightly uncharacteristic vent from me: I rarely post on Facebook anymore (TB has supplanted my FB usage because it is more relevant to my life right now). And here's a good example of why. My innocuous status update: "I have a feeling I will have two settings in October: eating, sleeping." Pregnancy Know-It-All friend: sleeping, not so much. Eating and peeing, more like it." Well, since she lives four states away and doesn't keep current with me much, I respond: "That's one stereotype I've been fortunate to avoid so far." Her response: "Talk to me at week 36." Nails on a motherf*cking chalkboard. For a woman who's been pregnant twice and has had plenty of friends with children, you'd think she'd know a) every pregnancy is different, b) that since I don't post much, she doesn't know what's going on in my pregnancy and c) shut the f*ck up with your know-it-all tone. Back to TB I go, adios Facebook. Where's my bag of fun-sized Butterfingers, dammit?
    @northport6, I read this as "fun-sized Butt fingers" and was horribly confused.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @northport6, you deserve a bag of butterfingers. Eat all the butterfingers. Enjoy, and then pretend it was for Halloween:)

• @eafogel  That's us pregnant ladies: always talking about candy or what's going on with our butts.

:D
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • @cash I got a newborn onesie that says "My mom doesn't want your advice" hahaa
    must have!!

• katebusse said:
    @northport6, you deserve a bag of butterfingers. Eat all the butterfingers. Enjoy, and then pretend it was for Halloween:)
    When I was buying them at Target, this is totally what I was pretending.  It was like six items clearly for pregnancy purposes...and a bag of fun-sized Butterfingers that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH PREGNANCY.  Really.  It's for the children.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • i was showing a friend our bathroom we are finishing, and told her how i was excited about a bathtub, and she tells me I can not have baths when I am pregnant.   Zero pregnancies, or children.  It bothered me more than it should have.

• @northport6, my first thought was..."well, if I had to have fingers in my butt, I suppose I would prefer that they were fun-sized."  I blame my reading fail on a severe lack of candy.

Back to lurking I go.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • How about the people questioning your choices already? I have had people at work saying things about the pediatrician we have decided to use but I love him and I know he's a great doctor....I think I did some research before deciding who I trust with my babies health!
  • Here's the onesie. Ok, it says "mother" not "mom".. I got it on Amazon for like $10 shipped! I saw it on Pinterest and had to have it! ;)
  • @northport6 haha I LOVE that! I saw something that said that (also on Pinterest!) and chuckled to myself. And that is awesome doing your first post pregnancy 10k! I signed up for the Sandy Hook 5k here in CT in late March - it was so packed last year, so it won't be for time. But I am using that as my first "mini goal".
  • Just for the record, I slept great my entire first pregnancy, even after 36 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"