November 2012 Moms

sending food to daycare?

for those of you who send LO's meals to daycare:

1- what do you send?

2- how do you send it?  (like what type of containers)

Now that LO is eating a lot more and preferring finger foods, my handy 2oz freezing tupperwares aren't really cutting it anymore. I'd like to continue to send home-prepared food, but need to be able to prep and store it the night before.  I'd love container recommendations...

Re: sending food to daycare?

• I don't do DC but I have in my fridge right now (ready for a day out tomorrow)

3 baby bullets: 1 has diced steam carrots (they last 2-3 days in fridge) 1) peas (I defrosted 1 cup at dinner tonight and put the leftovers in a bullet) and 1) diced up chicken apple sausage.

When we go out and about I can feed her this stuff vs. purees/pouches while she is in the stroller

If I did DC I would be doing the same, packing up dinner leftovers for her lunch the next day

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• @credcat7 how many ounces is a babybullet?  can they be heated, or do you only use it for serving cool foods?

• Loading the player...
  • winecastle14winecastle14 member
    edited September 2013
    We do BLW. If you want those suggestions, I can help you. If you're looking for purees, sorry, no advice.

Containers: plastic containers like the "Take and Toss" kind. Or if it needs to be heated I have some small glass Pyrex bowls. For yogurt, I use the tall,skinny 2 oz containers that I used to pump into.

Edited to correct punctuation. Long night of teething hell. Needed to have a cup of coffee before responding . 
    ~O)

• @fusionbride the baby bullets are not ones you can heat in.  we heat in glass.  I think they are 3oz? they work for me because o know they won't spill and I don't wnt them to just sit in the cupboard now that we are not making her food purees 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• M goes to a sitter twice a week.  I typically send a combination of homemade food and store bought.  When it's homemade, I still use the smaller containers.  I just send two.  I'm including snacks in addition as well.  She's really into graham crackers right now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO get 2 of the any following each day in either a plastic or glass container.

- steam/chopped veggie mix (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower & squash)
    - jar of the Earth's Best stage 2 meal
    - jar of homemade japanese sweet potatoes puree
    - yogurt
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @MandJS-- do you send it all in one Tupperware or a separate containers for each item?  does your DC heat stuff like the beans, or just serve cold?

• @kiraliz2 and @AmberEA14, she prefers finger foods at this point, so right now, every morning I'm chopping up fruit and veggies and putting them into like 4 different 2oz containers-- transporting all those pieces plus all that prep in the morning is getting old.

I need larger containers that I can send larger "medleys" in-- just toss multiple items into the same container. I'd prefer something glass that is heatable, but not sure what size is the best. I see they sell 4oz and 6oz, but prefer that this next purchase sort of be the only one-- I don't want to have to re-purchase in a few months once she's eating more.

• I don't know how to add this into my OP-- but has anyone tried bento boxes?  any reviews of those?

• @MandJS thanks!  so, what do you send all the Tupperware in?  a grocery bag? a diaper bag? some kind of cooler?

We are usinga little cooler that has been perfectly sized for her 3 bottles, a few little cubes of food, and the coldpack.  But now that she's eating more, it doesn't fit, and Tupperware are always falling out and rolling around in my car.  I  know I'm sounding whiny, but my little system worked so well since we started daycare, I'd love to find another perfect solution for the next phase... 

• 1- what do you send?  I send everything - breakfast, lunch, and BM.

2- how do you send it?  (like what type of containers)  I use whatever we have, but I still fill up the little 4 ounce containers with diced veggies, fruit, veggies, protein, whatever.  Like you, I'm getting tired of carting it everywhere, so I'm on the lookout for a container with some kind of divider. 

• @kiraliz2 and @AmberEA14, she prefers finger foods at this point, so right now, every morning I'm chopping up fruit and veggies and putting them into like 4 different 2oz containers-- transporting all those pieces plus all that prep in the morning is getting old.

I need larger containers that I can send larger "medleys" in-- just toss multiple items into the same container. I'd prefer something glass that is heatable, but not sure what size is the best. I see they sell 4oz and 6oz, but prefer that this next purchase sort of be the only one-- I don't want to have to re-purchase in a few months once she's eating more.

I'll respond in the morning when I'm at work and in front of a computer. Too much typing for mobile :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"