December 2013 Moms

Can I have a little pity party and maybe some advice?

So yesterday I woke up with a slight headache that kind of went away through out the day. I had lunch with my family, then DH and I took my cousins to apple fest, which is in this cute little downtown area of this old little town. They just have a bunch of food and try to focus it around apples. The apple donuts with carmel topping were delish!

Anyway, after we got home, I laid down to watch TV while DH went to have a couple of drinks with the neighbors when this headache came back times a million. It turned into a massive migraine so fast, I just didn't know what to do with myself.

I at some point went to the bedroom held my head and just started bawling hysterically because there was nothing I could do. I finally got my phone to text DH to come help me. Poor thing didn't know what to do except tell me to take Ibuprofen, which I obviously cannot while pregnant. I would have taken tylenol, but I know myself and when i'm that far into having a migraine, there isn't any amount of medication that will make it stop.

He was such a doll though, he brought me a pack of ice for my head, rubbed my back a little, and laid with me as I continued to cry hysterically. I vomited once, then managed to fall asleep for a bit around 9:30ish, work up again around midnight and the migraine still hadn't gone away. I twisted turned, cried some more, couldn't fall back asleep, and vomited again around 2ish, and finally fell back asleep for the night, with minor interruptions till morning.

Ladies, what if anything can you do for migraines? Have you found any pressure points or anything to help you? I'm just scared of getting another one like this. I usually don't get SUCH BAD migraines often, but it has happened probably about a dozen times in my life, where there is absolutely nothing that can be done, or so I feel.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can I have a little pity party and maybe some advice?

• mavgirl_73mavgirl_73 member
    edited September 2013
    Ice pack on the back of your neck, feet in a warm tub of water. It won't make it go away but it will take the edge off. Words are hard

• gosh I hate them. I take two Tylenol immediately after that initial squiggly flash of light in one eye (do you get that?), and lie down if I'm at home. My first migraine during pregnancy I was you, literally sobbing on the bathroom floor with my head on the cold tiles.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have found that Tylenol and some caffeine at the onset at least keeps it from getting that bad. If you get another one like that though I would ask your doctor about it! Hope you feel better!
  • Oh my gosh.  I'm so sorry you had to deal with such a massive migraine.  Those things are the worst.  Usually when I get them, I take Advil and a big cup of coffee, and then go lay down in a completely dark room (no light at all).  Since we can't do the Advil thing right now, you may want to try Tylenol.  Depending on the type of migraine, sometimes a shoulder rub works for me if it is a tension headache.  Again, I'm so sorry you had such a bad headache. 

• I hear you, I get the WORST headaches/migraines while pregnant.  No magic advice, other than what everyone else said..but I just wanted to make sure it's not preeclampsia...have you had your bp checked recently?

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

• musicnmoon123musicnmoon123 member
    edited September 2013
    My ob said Tylenol and lots of caffeine (it's ok for such a short period of time). I also try to increase my water intake. Sometimes having my husband rub my temples helps relieve the pressure.

Also, during pregnancy, I find it helps a TON to take Tylenol ASAP to try to stop it from developing into a migraine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @cdalloway I don't get a squiggly line, but if I close my eyes, sometimes I can actually feel the strain of eyes rolling back, which totally sucks. It just happened so fast, that I couldn't even take the tylenol that typically doesn't help anyway :-/

@edenkeever I didn't ask my OB, because I haven't gotten such a bad one during pregnancy, and Oh my, hope I don't again. That was brutal. I asked a family doc about it once, when my brother nearly took me to a hospital because I couldn't stop crying.

@sailortink, how can you handle the noise?! I have to be in complete quiet. Just me and my tears when they get so bad. Any noise or movement makes me sick.
  • @cherylnicole I just had an appointment a week and a half ago and BP was fine. I don't have a history of high BP yesterday, but do get migraines from time to time. They usually don't get so bad except for maybe a dozen times in my 26 years of life. The first I remember I was actually 5 or 6 with such a bad migraine.
  • I take a Tylenol (one extra strength) and then take a really hot shower and just let the water run over my head. Like other ladies said I drink a bunch of water and if that doesn't help I drink a soda or something with caffeine. If that doesn't help I'd call your OB and ask for a prescription for migraines.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I drink some caffeine and a ton of ice/cold water, lay down in a dark room with as little noise as possible. I also take Tylenol but I swear it's almost not worth it since it does nothing. But obviously stay away from TV, iPhone, computer when you have one as well.
  • I feel for you! I've had seriously nasty migraines since i can remember. About two months before my bfp, I ended up in the ER for a week long string of migraines that wouldn't go away. They have me a big dose of benadryl and it actually helped a ton. I had never had a doctor tell me to take it for migraines before.

Then, last Friday I went into L&D for a nasty headache/migraine and elevated bp, they too told me that benadryl is great for migraines and gave me some, which helped and they sent me home. Maybe try it and see if it helps next time?

• I try to have dh get me a giant fountain coke and go lie down.  It takes the edge off but I'm screwed if I'm with my toddler and dh isn't home.
  • I'm gonna have to go with the Tylenol and caffeine recommendations. I've never really gotten migraines that I know of (and I've been told I'd KNOW) but headaches find me often. That has NOT been fun in pregnancy land, because Tylenol sucks. However, if I take it with caffeine at the onset it can help alleviate it for a while.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • A hot shower and sleep in a dark room. Try something sugary. Your blood sugar could be low.
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • I found that my headaches are triggered by dehydration and low blood pressure. (It was 100/60 for most of this summer when I had my headaches.)

Have you ever juiced? I put kale or spinach along with carrot and banana in my ninja blender with enough water to fill up the blender. Drink it up and headache is gone. Running to the bathroom every ten minutes but I'll take it over a headache.
  • The suggestions you've gotten already are great.  If you think you need something a little stronger, the OB can prescribe a drug for migraines that's safe to take in pregnancy.  I believe it's called Fioricet.  I had to take it when I was pregnant with my daughter. I just wanted to let you know that there is something out there that may be able to help if all else fails.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I take a couple tylenol when I get that first spot in my vision and from there I go to the darkest quietest place I can with a cold washcloth and keep myself as still as possible. Truthfully Tylenol does little more than allow me to lay comfortably but I can't take take anything else due to allergies to the meds
  • I've had one migraine since I've been pregnant, so I'm feeling pretty lucky over here. Before I got pregnant, I got them about twice a month. I shake uncontrollably, vomit, major blurred vision, and of course, the excruciating pain.
    I talked to my dr about them at my first visit. I was told if I get one to try all the normal remedies first (if I thought I had time) heating pad, shower, ice pack, dark room etc...
    If that didn't help I had medication options. He feels safe using Imitrex during pregnancy if it's very occasionally. He also uses Lortab for severe migraines.
    I haven't needed anything, I was able to get through mine- it wasn't as bad as they were pre-pregnancy.
    My point is that you do have options. I hate that yours was so bad- I wish they didn't exist.
  • Thanks ladies for the great suggestions! I'm hoping I won't need them at least for the rest of the pregnancy :-( I feel for you ladies that get these nasty migraines!

• I take a Tylenol (one extra strength) and then take a really hot shower and just let the water run over my head. Like other ladies said I drink a bunch of water and if that doesn't help I drink a soda or something with caffeine. If that doesn't help I'd call your OB and ask for a prescription for migraines.

This. I shower in the dark. Drink a bunch of water, and try to sleep it off. I don't know that your OB can help much this late in the game, but definitely come Jan get with a Dr to find your triggers and ways to stop these.

Your OB def should be able to help determine what is causing them, give you suggestions, and/or write you a presciption. The one my OB prescribed me is called 'but/apap/caf' and I only take it when I can get the headache to go away by the things I listed or sleep. Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker

This. I shower in the dark. Drink a bunch of water, and try to sleep it off. I don't know that your OB can help much this late in the game, but definitely come Jan get with a Dr to find your triggers and ways to stop these.
    Your OB def should be able to help determine what is causing them, give you suggestions, and/or write you a presciption. The one my OB prescribed me is called 'but/apap/caf' and I only take it when I can get the headache to go away by the things I listed or sleep. Good luck!

B.A.C's are absolutely amazing. They don't help my migraines, but they work wonders for my migraine hangovers.
    I love those things.
  • @meggie0421 what are B.A.C.s?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"