May 2013 Moms

Sleep ? for PWHEW reflux

LizzyG11LizzyG11 member
edited September 2013 in May 2013 Moms
C has been starting to wean off her reflux meds (the pedi wanted to try getting her off prevacid because she was getting uncomfortably constipated and he thought the reflux was due to a dietary intolerance...I have since cut out a bunch of allergenic foods and her poops have been normal and mucous free for a while now). She is down to half a dose in the morning and a full dose at night. She doesn't seem to have any of the old symptoms, no gulping, coughing, has no issues lying on her back, not overly fussy, not having any real issues eating. 

The issue is for the last few nights she has been a HORRIBLE sleeper. She wakes up 10 mins after I first put her down (this happens about 3 times) then she is up all over the place, sometimes only going down for a half hour before waking up again. She eats just fine, usually will only go back down if I nurse her. I know reflux causes babies to wake frequently (before she went on the meds she slept just fine) but she isn't waking screaming, just fussing, and she is eating without complaint. Does this sound like she is waking from reflux or from something else? Her naps have been getting shorter too. And she pretty much always wakes up fussing and squirming. She will go a 4 or 5 hour stretch some nights. 

I would think if she was in pain from the reflux that she wouldn't tolerate sleeping on her back and would be waking up screaming and reluctant to eat, but I wanted to ask, for those mamas who have reflux babies did they wake up in pain or just more often? Did they have issues eating MOTN after waking in pain?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep ? for PWHEW reflux

• Have you tried putting her mattress at an angle?  We elevated one side of DD's matress with a couple of rolled up towels.  We put her head on the elevated side.  You could see if that helps.  If it doesn't, then the reflux might not be the issue.

Good luck.
    ***Lauren*** Married my Love 07.12.08 - Baby #1 (Girl)-Cystic Hygroma & Turner's Syndrome-D&C at 13 weeks 03.29.12
  • Have you tried putting her mattress at an angle?  We elevated one side of DD's matress with a couple of rolled up towels.  We put her head on the elevated side.  You could see if that helps.  If it doesn't, then the reflux might not be the issue.

Good luck.
    We have tried elevating the mattress (before she was on meds) and she would always just end up with her head down the incline haha. But I'll try it again!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO has reflux and she is not on any meds for it but she does have all of the symptoms you just described. She takes short naps and when I put her down at night she will wake atleast 2x after about 30 min or so. She does STTN but before she started STTN her MOTN feeding was the worst. She would constantly wake afterwards with gas and just moving around and thrashing all over the place. I did read that it is worse for them at the MOTN feeding. I do not have any advice I'm sorry. The only thing I have noticed is that as she has gotten a little older it has gotten somewhat better. She has never been in pain or woken up crying because of the reflux. She eats fine and is a happy spitter. Hang in there. Good luck to you guys:-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"