Blended Families
Options

Teenagers and cars

Just curious if you have teens in a blended family what you do about a car?

This prompted by SS who came home from my estranged IL's house telling me they have money set aside for him for a car when he's 16. Of course they do!

Were it up to us we would do no car or very limited use of our cars because we are in a walkable city and I don't want the lawsuits when SS inevitably has an accident that is his fault.

Other than that a car is a privilege that can get kids to do things you want and if its up to my in laws who think Cs are "good enough" grades we will have no leverage over SS.

So just curious what others did in hostile or disagreeing situations about cars. We have 6 more years so I'm not super stressed more just curious
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Teenagers and cars

• Options
    Your kid your rules. But if his Mom accepts it then it is an issue.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    Ditto what Jen said. Problem is you can only control what goes on in your house.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KendraL86KendraL86 member
    edited September 2013
    SD1 is 18 and will be driving soon (she thinks next month). We made it clear that we will not buy a vehicle or pay for insurance or carry them on our insurance policy. We do not want the liability that comes with it (think family car doctrine if you live in a state like we do). DH and I are both personal injury attorneys. In our state, parents end up being parties to lawsuits for accidents their kids are involved in.

SD2 will be 15 in two months and has already been asking us to buy her a car. We told her no and said, like with SD1, that if she wants a car she can get a job and save her money.

We gave SD1 $1,000 when she graduated from high school (which she promptly spent on crap and did not save for a vehicle). We will give SD2 that when she graduates in a few years. She can use it for a vehicle or spend it on temporary pleasures like her sister. It's her choice.

I think BM will buy them both a car and then play the "your dad doesn't love you" card (like when we refused to buy SD1 a pair of $300 boots. I mean, I don't even own any shoes worth $300!). Or try to guilt my DH into sharing the cost. We already pay $3000 a month (about $1500 more than is court ordered just to be helpful). We aren't paying for any additional expenses that aren't medically or educationally related. If she wants to foot the bill, go ahead. But we aren't sharing it and we've made it clear.

I worked three jobs, went to college, and lived independently by the time I was 15. I had to ride the bus until I had saved enough money for a vehicle and the operating expenses that went along with it. It made me appreciate the freedom having a car brought me and made me value my modest car. I want both SD's to experience the pride and appreciation of earning such a big life changing object for themselves. Working toward a goal and achieving it is a very important life lesson.
  • Options

Your kid your rules. But if his Mom accepts it then it is an issue.

She will if nothing more than just to annoy us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They want to buy the car then they can pay the gas and insurance. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    Youngest college graduate ever???

• Options
    DS and DD only see DC once a year out of State so we aren't worried about their car situation at all.  K will be turning 8 soon, but DH and I have already discussed this issue at length.

Due to the history of cars (and lack thereof) at Gma's, we will not allow K to take the car we end up purchasing over there.  BM drove without a driver's license or insurance for over a year back when BM and DH were first dating.  She saw nothing wrong with it until DH refused to go anywhere with her until she took her damn driver's test.  She was 21 at the time, I'm completely serious.  BM currently lets her brother (who is 20 I believe) drive her car all the time and he doesn't have a driver's license.  DH and I just are not comfortable letting K take a car over there that we are ultimately responsible for, knowing how lackadaisical BM is regarding driving laws.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    I have no idea what we're going to do. SS turns 14 in three weeks, so it's not that far off. He'll be able to get his permit next year when he turns 15, and I'm sure we'll teach him how to drive. We are hoping to buy a minivan in the next two years, and so we may have one of our current vehicles available for him; if not he'll need to figure out a way to work and save money. It will all depend on his grades and our finances - I am dreading the effect it will have on our insurance premium.

Fortunately SS's mother lives on the other side of the country so we don't have to worry about our legal and financial responsibility for a vehicle when he's visiting her.
  • Options
    We are the CP (and have DS 95% of the time) so as far as I'm concerned, our vote trumps every other. For us, it's going to come down to what kind of teenager DS is. If he is a good, responsible kid, he will have a (very) used car. If he's not, then he won't.

Whether XH or any grandparents want to contribute to it, it's up to them. If XH or some grandparents try to go around us, then the car can stay at their house and he can use it when he's there.
    my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    The original rules were:

1. that DH would match whatever SS earned to be put towards a car
    2. SS had to pay for all taxes, tags and title
    3. SS had to pay for his own insurance
    4. SS has to pay for his own gas

DH changed this slightly.  SS earned $1800 because DH literally took 1/2 of each paycheck and put the money into an account where SS could not spend it.  SS has never gone into the next paycheck with more than $20 in his personal account.  

At the same time, SS started making these comments about how once he turned 18 and had his own car, he was going to do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, however he wanted because he was a grown adult. 

To ensure that SS finished high school and keep some control over him, DH gave SS use of his Trailblazer (very good condition) until graduation.  He took a full year's worth of Insurance out of the $1800 because while the car is still in our name, we would keep SS under our insurance and he just needs to pay for additional costs.  

We can maintain a bit more control while he is still living in our house during the last bit of highschool. We will still be taking 1/2 of his paycheck to keep his income down and make life as tight at possible. 

And no, it is NOT to be mean, but we need him to start learning how to budget.  I mean, the day he got his DL, he went to the mall and bought the new Grand Theft Auto game and went below $30 in his personal account.  

We will do the same with DD.  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    MelRC117 said:

It's 6 years away. You said they are estranged. Who knows what will happen in 6 years with them. You and your h need to get on the same page at this point. Don't stress over this if he's 10. They shouldn't be saying those things to him anyways.

Side question: Kendra- why pay double of the court order? That makes zero sense.

DH voluntarily pays more because he wanted the kids to be able to stay in the house that they grew up in. She can't pay for it on her own salary, so DH voluntarily contributes extra.
  • Options

If the BM wants to buy the car - LET HER.  Let her deal with it entirely. 

I fully expect to buy DD a car, but I gotta tell ya...if XH wants to buy her a car, I'll let him take on that expense and responsibility. And then I plan on teaching DD responsibility and safe driving skills. I'll still be extremely diligent on this.

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • Options

So I'm unclear about this subject.

If Custodial parent gets a car for the child, and doesn't involve NCP in decision making, financial responsibility,gas,etc....and the child has an accident. The NCP can STILL be held partially responsible?

• Options

If Custodial parent gets a car for the child, and doesn't involve NCP in decision making, financial responsibility,gas,etc....and the child has an accident. The NCP can STILL be held partially responsible?

One of my sisters had an auto accident in high school that resulted in a law suit. The insurance maxed out what they were willing to pay, and the lady my sister hit tried to come after my parents' assets. 

I don't know all the details as I was in college at the time. But yeah. I'm not an attorney so I don't know how liability might relate to insurance plans or living situation.
    my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    My FIL keeps telling SS he will buy him a car when he turns 16, which drives me crazy because it is setting up the expectation that he deserves a car just for being 16. I don't think FIL will actually buy him a car and if he does, he would probably tell him it has to stay at our house as he doesn't trust BM either. DH and I refuse to pay for SS to be on our insurance unless he is responsible and doing well in school. SS can't get decent grades in elementary school and isn't responsible enough to brush his teeth twice a day at age 10, so unless something drastically changes, we are not supporting SS in getting his license or paying for any part of it until he is responsible. The same thing applies to our DS when the time comes. I can't speak for BM because she bases all parenting decisions on what will get SS to like her more as opposed to actually parenting. I don't think she can afford a car for him but if buying a cheap clunker will make him happy, and keep her from having to drive him and the other kids, she will definitely do it.
    "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~ Lao Tzu
  • Options

My DS didn't get his license until he was 18, and had no interest in even having his own car, because he would have to pay for it (he is soooooo cheap).  His uncle ended up giving him a car and now he is 21 and pays for everything himself. 

My ss is turning 16 in March.  My DH is not encouraging him to take drivers ed classes.  My FIL has an old Monte Carlo that he said he was planning to give to SS when he starts driving. I leave what DH and BM want to do, up to them. 

I'll address the issue with my DD when the time comes, she is just turning 12 in November.

• Options

Apparently, I'm in the minority here. My DD will be getting her learner's permit at 15 and her license at 16. DH, BD and myself all worked from the age of 16 and had our own vehicles and jobs. IMO that taught me a lot of responsibility and I want DD to learn that as well. I don't want any of our kids to end up like my nephew at 21 and not have a license because he didn't have a permit to learn to drive and now can't get/keep a job because he doesn't have reliable transportation. We were in the process of getting him his license when he left our house. He had taken the required course for driver's over 18 without a license and he finished it the weekend he moved out. We never had a chance to teach him to drive. His parents never felt obligated to teach him and well I seriously doubt SIL ever will and his dad isn't alive to do so anymore. So he is now 21 and still can't drive.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options
    EarthandFireEarthandFire member
    edited September 2013

My mother took me to get my learner's permit at 15. I received my license at 16 and had a job within 2 months of turning 16. I was required to pay my portion of insurance, which was part of my parents insurance policy. We lived in the boonies so getting anywhere required a vehicle or someone who could drive you. I was the oldest so my having a vehicle was to my parents advantage. My first car was a tank. My grandmother's old Oldsmobile she'd bought the same year I was born. It was in my parents name and my use of it was at their discretion. I drove their vehicles often too but my daily use was the tank for taking my siblings and I to school and home or to work. If they had any doubts about where I was or who I was with, I would have lost my privileges and they would not have hesitated to report me if I took the car without permission.

As to a family member buying a car for one of my LO's, if I didn't want the child to have it I'd be expecting them to pay for insurance, licensing and keeping it in their name. I would not be taking any liability for it. In my family a vehicle is a privilege that comes with responsible behavior. I will definitely make sure our LO's have their learners permit and teach them to drive. I'll probably make sure that they have their license but I make no guarantee they'll have a vehicle of their own. I will probably meet them on whatever they save to purchase their own vehicle if I feel they can handle that responsibility.

Well, that's the plan but until we get there we won't know for certain.

• Options
    CFjo2010CFjo2010 member
    edited September 2013
    Hopeforthebest said: So I'm unclear about this subject.If Custodial parent gets a car for the child, and doesn't involve NCP in decision making, financial responsibility,gas,etc....and the child has an accident. The NCP can STILL be held partially responsible?

My understanding is that
    both parents (as well as SP's) can be held financially liable for the minor.  At my old Law Firm we handled PI cases, and we filed suit against Mom and SF, Dad and SM, because the driver was under 18.  Truth be told it was basically a matter of who had the deeper pockets.  The way it was explained to me is that regardless of who maintains the automobile insurance or who the child lives with, both parents are responsible for the minor child.  

• Options
    jobalchak said:

My understanding is that both parents (as well as SP's) can be held financially liable for the minor.  At my old Law Firm we handled PI cases, and we filed suit against Mom and SF, Dad and SM, because the driver was under 18.  Truth be told it was basically a matter of who had the deeper pockets.  The way it was explained to me is that regardless of who maintains the automobile insurance or who the child lives with, both parents are responsible for the minor child.   I don't understand how I (SM) could legally be liable when not even the PARENT (DH) had a say in whether the kid got a car or not. I doubt BOTH parent's signature is required at the DMV for the license. That CAN'T be a legally solid case.
  • Options
    @Hopeforthebest it doesn't come down to who signed for the driver's license or the insurance carrier.  Both parents are legally and financially responsible for the minor child.  SP's were included in the filing simply for the purpose of being able to attach a Judgment to assets.  It's crappy, but it's completely legal.  Now, the SP's can get separate representation and file suit to have their community interest in the property removed from the lien.  Example:  when BM obtained fraudulent Medi-Cal and the State came after me and DH for repayment of monies paid to her on K's behalf, I had to get my own attorney to represent my interests separate from DH's interests.

Such is the life of blended families.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"