February 2012 Moms

MIL issue

First my MIL is awesome. I seriously love her.  She rolls with me and respects my parenting.  

My parents are traveling overseas for a few weeks.  My parents were my childcare during the week.   So while I'm working my MIL has come down to watch my son and is staying with us.   It's win win because she gets quality time with my son.  And I don't have to take time off unpaid.

So for dinners I figured I'd make life easy and do some Roti Chick (ala Costco) with some veggies and a salad.  I'm on WW so I have a certain "diet" I need to maintain.   Anyway she suggested she cook dinner on Tuesday.  Problem is the recipe is high in fat.  I'm talking butter and heavy cream kind of fat.  She knows I'm eating healthy but still offered to make this.  

How do I tell her no?  I have tried to figure out a way to make her recipe lighter, but it's not possible.  It's high in carbs and fat.   I know she wants to cook because she's going to be bored.  But I'm wondering how I handle this.  I'm terrible on delivery and sometimes I hurt her feelings.  Which I hate because I don't mean to.

Having the Mister broach this topic is not going to happen.  He's too busy.  I thought about just not eating what she cooked but that might be hurtful too.  

BTW it was so weird waking up to MIL in my house.  She lives 45 minutes away so she's just staying because traveling every day didn't make sense.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: MIL issue

• If talking to her about it is just too weird and uncomfortable, then I would probably just eat a very small portion and chalk it up to a one time thing.  I am also on a diet, but coming off of a diet for one meal isn't going to totally derail everything, especially if you eat a small portion.  If you're on WW, save up your points during the day, so you can splurge a bit at dinner.  Maybe suggest she make a healthy soup or veggie as a side, and then load up on the sides, while not making a bit deal about the main dish.  

The way I look at it, she is helping you out by watching your DS for the week, she's been generous to offer to cook for you, you've tried to suggest doing something healthy, but clearly cooking this dish makes her happy, so I say go with it.  Maybe it's your DH's favorite dish, and it will make him really happy.  If she was going to cook high-fat meals all week, I would think about approaching this differently, but I say if it's just one meal, enjoy it and don't over think it.  Just my two cents.   
  • Pretty much what Sept07b2b said.  Just go with it and eat a small portion.  No diet is going to work if you can't have a "splurge" meal occasionally.  Just make sure you stay on plan the rest of the week.

This is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks Ladies.  I am going to have her make it Wednesday night instead of tomorrow.

I weigh in on Wednesday so that's why I don't want to go off plan just to eat this meal.  It isn't really special dish I think what she is trying to do is use up the leftover chicken from tonight's dinner.  See how sweet she is she's trying to be economical too!   

I have to grocery shop for everything she needs I won't be able to do it until Tuesday night so that kills the dinner. So crisis averted. 

I agree it's good to splurge and I do but I do it on the weekend.  It's so easy for me to eat clean during the week while I'm at work.  And the weekends I enjoy my food a little more.   

It works for me this way.   I'm 7lbs away from my goal weight, can't let some chicken tetrazini stop me while I'm ahead!  She was literally dropped off last night at my house when my FIL heard I was taking time off (no pay).  I normally plan better than this.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"