December 2013 Moms

Appt question

I'm noticing a lot of you are having your cervixes (sp? grammar? oh god that looks wrong) checked and having more of an 'exam' at your appointments. Whenever I go in, they check my weight and blood pressure, ask if I have any questions, tell me when to schedule next and send me on my way. Do I need to be asking them to check anything else?
Pregnancy Ticker
image image

Re: Appt question

• My dr doesn't start cervical checks until 36 weeks unless I start to have symptoms that something is off.
  • If I was having a normal pregnancy my midwife wouldn't do a cervix check until 36 weeks, I wouldn't worry :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Unless I start having problems, my cervix won't be checked until 36 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our midwives don't check cervix closer to 40 weeks.  We'll be declining any checks before 40 weeks because there is no point of checking this early if you don't have issues with cervix.

• My practice won't start the cervix checks until 36 weeks as well.
  • My OB says she will begin cervix checks at 36 weeks as well.. Yuck.  Not looking forward to that!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• My OB doesn't start doing internals until 40 weeks unless she has a concern.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
  • That's pretty much my appts too - weight, BP, pee in a cup and measure fundal height, listen with doppler and done. Unless there are extra labs, like GTT. I get a few extra ultrasounds too because I'm high risk, but there's been no talk of internals or NSTs, yet!
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• My practice does not check the cervix until after 40 weeks unless there is cause for concern.  I would decline a routine cervical check prior to 40 weeks.
  • I get cervical checks every week, but that's because My cervix is an asshole.
    In normal pregnancies my dr doesn't start checks until 37 weeks.
  • FTM question: What is a cervical check like? Does it feel similar to a gynecological exam? I'm not even sure what they do... and I'm going to decline Googling it while at work. haha
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • F47 said:

FTM question: What is a cervical check like? Does it feel similar to a gynecological exam? I'm not even sure what they do... and I'm going to decline Googling it while at work. haha

In my experience, they hurt like a mo fo. For that reason, I'll be declining them until 40 weeks.
    imageimageimageimage
  • My last practice didn't do cervical checks until you were actually due. Not sure about this one, but I'd be surprised if they started before 36 or 37 weeks, absent any indications something is going on. I wouldn't worry.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Unless there is an issue, my office starts cervix checks at 38w.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • F47 said:

FTM question: What is a cervical check like? Does it feel similar to a gynecological exam? I'm not even sure what they do... and I'm going to decline Googling it while at work. haha

In my experience, they hurt like a mo fo. For that reason, I'll be declining them until 40 weeks.
    It kinda feels like what I imagine being fisted would feel like.
    That's exactly what I was going to say.

I guess my dr is prepping me for delivery...
  • Oh god... That sounds completely horrible. Oh god oh god oh god!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
  • I get cervical checks every week, but that's because My cervix is an asshole. In normal pregnancies my dr doesn't start checks until 37 weeks.

Ha!  My cervix is an asshole, too.  I started cervical checks at 24 weeks only because I have a history of a spontaneous preterm labor and have had procedures done on my cervix that could have been the cause.  Lo and behold, I showed shortening of my cervix so I have to have continual checks (in the form of a wonderful transvaginal ultrasound).  Be grateful that you haven't had to have your cervix checked at this point.  
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • hjweber said:
    I get cervical checks every week, but that's because My cervix is an asshole. In normal pregnancies my dr doesn't start checks until 37 weeks.

Ha!  My cervix is an asshole, too.  I started cervical checks at 24 weeks only because I have a history of a spontaneous preterm labor and have had procedures done on my cervix that could have been the cause.  Lo and behold, I showed shortening of my cervix so I have to have continual checks (in the form of a wonderful transvaginal ultrasound).  Be grateful that you haven't had to have your cervix checked at this point.  
    I just wanted to point out how much this phrase made me laugh.

Not at your sucky situation. Just that sentence. Comedic gold. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
  • My OB won't start doing cervical checks until 35 or 36 weeks.
    image   image
  • My appts are exactly the same, like 5 min tops. Glad you asked though, because sometimes after reading posts here I think - well, how does she know my cervix is ok or that baby has been growing normally since 20weeks? I guess they only do more invasive exams if something indicates a problem.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine doesn't do cervical checks til 36 weeks too.

• None here until labor begins or until I'm 41 weeks. No reason to be foolin around up there unless you have reasons beyond curiosity. As a FTM they started at about 38 weeks and made life more frustrating because 1. They are subjective, one doctors 2 is another doctors 1.5 (if you have rotating docs in your practice) 2. Effacement can change weekly depending on baby's position.

• None here until labor begins or until I'm 41 weeks. No reason to be foolin around up there unless you have reasons beyond curiosity. As a FTM they started at about 38 weeks and made life more frustrating because 1. They are subjective, one doctors 2 is another doctors 1.5 (if you have rotating docs in your practice) 2. Effacement can change weekly depending on baby's position.
    I have this image of a doctor with his whole arm up someones vaj-ay saying "Ohhh well I wonder what's going on up there!!"
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
  • Thanks guys! I was starting to feel very nervous that I wasn't getting the care I needed! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"