Pregnant after IF

FVL question... MFM needed??

Ive got my first pregnancy appointment with my regular hematologist. Oh Im so happy to see him for something other than a blood clot for once!! LOL
Anywho, I read online that FVL may be cause for an MFM. However, some articles said if you have a Hematologist then your regular OB is fine and you don't necessarily need an MFM since the hematologist would work hand in hand with the OB. I guess ill ask him tomorrow but now I'm wondering if I should start looking for an MFM. Any words of advice on that?
Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
  • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
  • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
  • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
  • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
  • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

Re: FVL question... MFM needed??

• I think hematologist would suffice as long as they are able to provide your ob with instructions around delivery time you should be ok. It also however depends on the comfort level of your ob. I've encountered a handful of general obs that lack basic knowledge of anticoagulants that really floored me. Hm don't think I helped ... Good luck :)

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i don't know much about FVL but don't think it would hurt to just get a consult with a MFM to see what they would say/do about it as well?  All dr's have such a difference of opinion sometimes and even if they say the exact same thing as your OB, at least you're doing all you can to have a healthy baby/delivery!  good luck!
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it would hurt to find a MFM, I had two providers co-managing my care in the past & didn't have the best experience with the sharing of information etc. I would have had a better experience with a MFM but didn't know better at the time. Good luck :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd probably start by asking your OB (assuming you like your OB), as he/she may have a MFM already that he/she works closely with.  I don't have experience with FVL, but in our case, our OB did want us to regularly see a MFM, and called the MFM to set up our first appointment and they coordinate between themselves on our care (they have a long history with another and work together on high risk patients).  So I'm glad I didn't try to set up a MFM appointment with a different MFM on our own. 
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • @purpleIris30 , that's what I was kinda thinking. I see the OB the first time next week so I'll see what he thinks. So far, my Hematologist tonight said that the MFM probably wouldn't be needed with him around but I'm going to run it by the OB too just to be double sure :)
    Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
    NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
    • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
    • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
    • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
    • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
    • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

• ***Lurker Answer***
    My OB had me meet with MFM prior to TTC and at the time they showed me their treatment recs for patients with clotting disorders (who needs prophylactic treatment, who needs extra growth scans, who needs NSTs and when). At the time I was told that unless I get a clot while KU my OB will just follow their treatment recs and they will consult in and see me only 2-3 times during my pregnancy. 

image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"