Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Table Food Regression (10 Months)

My LO has always been a monster when it comes to food. Completely devouring everything in sight. When she started eating solids we did solely veggies for about 1.5 months before we introduced any fruits. I knew if she was anything like me she would love fruits and choose them over veggies any day. Everything was great and we moved to chopped foods and she loves to feed herself - refuses to let me feed her anything unless its on a spoon anymore. My problem is, for the past 2 weeks she 100% refuses to eat any veggies. I've always had problems getting her to eat chicken or turkey so I just decided its ok for her to be a vegetarian for a while longer, that's no big deal. But she will get so frustrated if I give her something like peas and carrots. Not that I want to "give in", but she has problems calming herself down when she gets worked up. She will eat all the fruits and crackers/bread you can throw at her. I've tried giving it all to her at once and she just picks around the vegetables, I've tried putting apple sauce on the vegetables, I've tried just leaving her alone with the tray of veggies and letting her get mad, none of it is working. The one night I refused to give her the foods she wanted she ended up waking up at 3 am starving and we had to give her a bottle. She hasn't woken up to eat at night since 6 months old. Anyone else go through this? I'm assuming it's just a phase but does anyone have any tips?

Re: Table Food Regression (10 Months)

• Options
    It may be a phase and you might end up waiting it out. What veggies are you serving? Maybe something new is in order. Or try those veggies in a casserole or sauce to make them mor interesting/flavorful. Creamed chicken & veggies; broccoli potato cheese casserole, etc. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try  not to stress about it, and it's probably just a phase. I know it's easier said than done, as DS goes through periods like this that he becomes super picky about food.  It seems to happen when he's teething (though I"m not 100% sure); I'll just remind myself not to get worked up about it.

Every book I read stresses that mealtimes should be FUN for LOs, so try to avoid power struggles - ie, you don't get to eat X if you don't eat Y.  I also don't think one should become a short order cook.  I also read that, it is your job to provide a healthy, balanced diet to your LO, but it is up to him/her to decide what to eat (from your offerings).

Having said all that, I only give DS the foods we are having for dinner.  For carbs, it is usually whole wheat pasta or rice noodles.  Sometimes we have bread.  I won't give him something ELSE that we are not eating ourselves.  He gets to eat as much fruit as he wants, as dessert after dinner.

Also to echo what PPs said, try changing flavors.  I was giving DS steamed carrots and broccoli, and then he started refusing them.  But if I cook them in pesto, or curry, he'll eat them right up.  
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll have to try adding flavors. In the past she's been completely resistent to anything new for the first 2-3 times of trying it. I thought that might be the issue so I tried giving her some stuffing. Good flavor, nothing extreme and she just spit it out. Oh well, I'm assuming sooner or later she'll grow out of it and move on.
  • Options
    My ds is admittedly an awesome eater but randomly he decided he didnt like some of his previously favorite foods such as carrots and peas.  I tried putting them with other foods and he just knew they were there and refused them.  He has always liked somewhat exotic baby food (we make everything from scratch- yeah Im one of those) such as kale, yellow squash, cauliflower and such but during his 9th month he just refused the classics. After about a month of that behavior he now loves peas and carrots again so yeah as everyone said I'm sure its just a phase.  Try giving lo something to entertain herself- mine needs a spoon, measuring cup or something about halfway through a meal.  He always loves when we sing during dinner, especially the "I like to eat apples and bananas" song.  When he is happy he eats whatever I put in front of him...except processed meat- ugh he hates that stuff lol.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"