June 2013 Moms
Options

Newborn Milestones- Where are your LO's at?

Ok, I am sure that I am being impatient and possibly irrational, BUT I need some input from others regarding milestones that my LO should be hitting. I am a FTM and my DD turned 16 weeks on Saturday. I see all kinds of pictures of friend’s newborns around the same age on Facebook, etc. The pictures show their LO’s sitting on their own in a bumbo chair, holding toys, etc. My DD can just about hold her head up on her own. Every once in a while she bobbles, but for the most part she does pretty good. She’s not a huge fan of tummy time unless she is on something soft like the bed, a pillow, or the boppy. It makes me feel bad because I am back to work and don’t get to spend as much time on these things as some other mom’s that SAH. I know her daycare does some tummy time, but I worry that she is getting behind on some of these things. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What are some of the milestones that she should be hitting at this age and where are your LO’s with these?

Re: Newborn Milestones- Where are your LO's at?

• Options
    I understand being worried, my LO has good head control (I would not call it great), but does not roll over, or grab or bat at toys. I just keep telling myself that she will develop at her own pace and as long as the pedi isn't concerned I'm not. You should ask your DCP to make sure she gets lots of tummy time, maybe be specific about how much. My LO doesn't love it, but I try to get in at least 2-3 5 minute sessions a day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The best thing you can do is remember that milestones are averages so there are kids who do it earlier and kids who do it later.  It takes a lot more than a few weeks variation from the average to cause concern and since sitting up assisted, grabbing at toys and rolling over are things most of our littles are only doing in the last week or so, you have zero reason to worry.  Also, tummy time on soft things is fine because they're still using their neck muscles :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I ask daycare to do tummy time. B rolled over for like a week and then stopped. He doesn't grab toys but will hold them if I put them in his hand. As long as your doc isn't worried I would try not to as well.
  • Options
    I know I see posts about ppl's LO's rolling but I'm really not worried about it yet.  He will get there when he is ready! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 

• Options
    I try not to compare my DD's milestones to other babies because I know she'll get there on her own. I'm not saying it's hard though.
    BFP #1 10/5/12 at 14 DPO | EDD 6/15/13 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I will say though that it's a little harder to ignore the differences in milestones from your first kid to your second :)  You kind of assume you make the same kind of kid, which is silly.  But I'm already like "Gee, this one isn't eating as much.  Huh.  Aiden had rolled BOTH ways by now."  It's just as silly as comparing to an average but I do find it harder.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I say this out of love...DON'T POST THINGS LIKE THIS! :) (see? smiley means it's not mean)

Honestly, you will drive yourself crazy with stuff like this. Your little one will hit all the right milestones at all the right times for HER.  My son acted like we were bathing him in fire every time we put him on his tummy then ONE day he was like "Oh. This is NBD."  So try not to worry about it! <3
  • Options
    I have had many of the same feeling, when I see all the overachieving baby pictures. My LO still doesn't sit well in his bumbo but does great sitting on the floor with my support. He has rolled over like 3 times but not since some babies skip this milestone altogether. I would just say try not to compare(I know it's hard). If your pedi is concerned with something then try not to worry.
  • Options
    You also have to realize that these are pictures...Ty can sit in his Bumbo for maybe 2 minutes before practically tipping the thing over flopping all around, but hey, I get great pictures for those 2 minutes :)
    absolutely this.  in some pictures my floppy headed baby looks like he is sitting up all on his own and ready to put on a tie and go to work.  
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    I learned with my first that averages are just that, average. A meet in the middle sort of time line. My first took her sweet time with everything. Didn't roll over till later, just because she was content not to. Then when other babies were crawling, Kaylee would rather roll across the room. More fun I guess. And, even teething. Neither of my kids had a tooth in their head until 14 months old. If this one starts to teeth sooner, I'll be lost. I have no idea what to do with a teething baby. I only know teething toddlers. Lol. I know it's easier said than done, especially when you see other babies the same age doing those things, but try not to think about it. Like pp's have said, if your pedi isn't concerned, you shouldn't be either :)
  • Options
    GraceInCA said:
    At this point, all bets are off. Anything goes. If you have a five year old who isn't walking and talking, then hit the panic button. Until then, just sit back and enjoy watching the baby grow and develop at its own pace.

Well said.

#Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry to much about the milestones at this point. Every child is different and those milestones are just averages. Being a few weeks ahead or behind is still OK and nothing to be alarmed about.

"No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

imageimageimageimage

Anniversary

• Options
    I agree with all the PPs. With my first I worried about every little milestone and worried she was not reaching them on time. It is SO hard not to compare your child or the rate they are developing at to others around you. But for the sake of your sanity DONT DO IT! They will develop and grow at their own rate and comparing and stressing only takes away from enjoying this time with them
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Do not worry at all!  Kids develop at different rates.  By the time they are in kindergarten (heck, a year from now), will it really matter if they rolled at 4 months or 5 months? 

My 4-year-old DS hit gross motor milestones very early, and his language milestones late.  Just who he is.  Meanwhile, my DD hasn't attempted to roll yet, but is babbling, laughing, and "conversing" with us much earlier than my son did.  I am not concerned in the least.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"