High-Risk Pregnancy

Can't get my numbers down (GD)

I know lots of women end up going on insulin at some point, but anyone this early?  I'm only 15 weeks.  I cannot for the life of me get my fasting numbers down, they have been 110, 119, 116....I'm eating at the time my nutirtionist told me (9pm)..occasionally maybe half an hour later just because I get dinner going too late, and then have to wait the two hours to test.  I'm not going over on my carbs, but nothing is helping.

Even two hours after a meal haven't been great.  I've had a couple of good readings, but more often than not my two hour is in the high 120s.  Last night I had grilled chicken breast, a glass of milk, two small red potatoes and a salad of baby spinach and cherry tomatoes.  For my carb foods (potatoes and milk) I was still way under my limit of 45 grams, so even when I add in the couple carbs here and there from the marinade and sour cream, I was still at, or below my limit, but my two hour last night after dinner was 128 :(

I was diagnosed with GD around the same time last pregnancy and had no problems whatsoever controlling it with diet.  I started to have a little troubles around 20 weeks, but since I delivered at 22 I don't know how it would have continued.  My next appt is in less than two weeks and if I can't get them controlled by then, I go on insulin.  I know I shouldn't, and I know it's best for the baby, but I'll feel like such a failure having to go on at 17 weeks.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

Re: Can't get my numbers down (GD)

• When I got diagnosed, I read through the board and a lot of people recommended adding protein to your night time snack if you are having trouble with morning fasting numbers. Also, your numbers are pretty close, so I would consider just adding some exercise after meals. It doesn't have to be much to bring your numbers back into the "good" range. After lunch at work, I'll try to make sure that i just get up and walk around the office, go talk to a friend or just walk a circle around the office a few times. And after dinner at home DH and I will go on a short walk or I'll do my prenatal yoga DVD. If I've had a few borderline numbers, I lengthen the after dinner walks. It tends to help pretty effectively.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks, I've been meaning to get back into walking, but this is all the more reason to.  Any recommendations for protein with my bedtime snack?  The other day I had cheese with a glass of milk, but since it also has a few grams of carbs I wasn't sure if that was helping me or hurting me, and my fasting was 126 after that.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Loading the player...
  • My fasting number was always around 100.  My sister suggested having grilled chicken and a cheese stick as a snack every night.  It didn't sound appetizing but I figured I'd give it a try.  Now my numbers are between 90 and 98.  You can also try a handful of unsalted nuts to change it up a bit.  I've also started taking cinnamon pills twice a day.  It's natural cinnamon and if you don't want to take it in a pill you can just break it open and add it to your food.  Those two things have helped me stay in the normal range.  Hope it helps you too.  
    imageimage
  • memali26memali26 member
    edited September 2013
    First off, please don't feel like a failure. You're doing the best you can, and that's all you can do.

I was diagnosed at 13w with DD2, and on insulin by 18 weeks for fasting, 22w for all meals. I was told that the earlier you are diagnosed, the more likely you are to need extra help from meds, etc. It's all tied back to those pesky hormones, and it is common for it to be more difficult to control as you get farther along, no matter when you are diagnosed. I'm anticipating being on insulin pretty quickly this time, but they won't order my GTT until my appt tomorrow (almost 15w).

For protein at bedtime, any protein you'd eat for a meal is fair game. Don't worry about the carbs in the protein. With my first, my favorite bedtime snack was a scoop of carb smart vanilla ice cream with melted peanut butter poured over top!

Edit: missing words

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • First off, please don't feel like a failure. You're doing the best you can, and that's all you can do.

I was diagnosed at 13w with DD2, and on insulin by 18 weeks for fasting, 22w for all meals. I was told that the earlier you are diagnosed, the more likely you are to need extra help from meds, etc. It's all tied back to those pesky hormones, and it is common for it to be more difficult to control as you get farther along, no matter when you are diagnosed. I'm anticipating being on insulin pretty quickly this time, but they won't order my GTT until my appt tomorrow (almost 15w).

For protein at bedtime, any protein you'd eat for a meal is fair game. Don't worry about the carbs in the protein. With my first, my favorite bedtime snack was a scoop of carb smart vanilla ice cream with melted peanut butter poured over top!

Edit: missing words
    That sounds amazing!
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

• I know it is frustrating. I have been lucky to remain diet controlled, but I have learned a couple of things about my body.

1. I can't handle dairy. Doesn't matter if it is perfectly measured and within my limits, I just can't handle it. Maybe the milk is what sent you over on your dinner? 

2. I HAVE to have more protein in my bed time snack. I do a rotation of yogurt, some pretzels, cheese cubes, and a few slices of turkey or chicken deli meat.  I was running in the 70s for my fasting, but now that I am getting closer to D Day I am in the 60s. Also, I make sure to really pile on the protein with every meal. I will eat that first before I go into my carbs.

Just remember that going on insulin doesn't mean you failed. We can not control what our bodies are doing. We can only try and keep up with it and hope for the best.

Best of luck.
  • With my first, it was a few weeks after being diagnosed with GD that they put me on insulin.  This time around,  my fasting numbers seemed to be borderline from the beginning.  My go to bedtime snack is vanilla ice cream with nuts.  Full fat ice cream.  I used to have one of those Kashi Go Lean bars in a pinch.  I've heard people have good luck with Klondike bars, but that was not the case with me. 
    I seem to have a love/hate thing when it comes to the insulin.  With my first, I was disappointed, but also relieved because I could tell I wasn't able to manage it on my own with just diet and exercise.  This time around, it's the same thing- I feel a lot more confident in what I can eat when I know I have the insulin backing me up.  I still try to work my butt off to keep the doses low. 
    This GD diagnosis is the weirdest thing- we all are so hard on ourselves and feel like little failures when it is really so much out of our control.  Maybe it's good practice for when we're parents and have to stand on the sidelines and let our children make the mistakes they'll have to make. 

• Definitely don't feel like a failure. GD is the weirdest thing ever, and much of it is difficult to control. I have readings in the 120's here and there and my doctors have never acted like that was a deal breaker. Walking after meals is a great idea, and making sure you drink enough water after a meal as well. That has been the key for me.

Try things like mixed nuts, cheese sticks, peanut butter, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt to get more protein.

I can't find any rhyme or reason to my fasting numbers. It's frustrating.

Will your doctor not let you try a pill before they put you on insulin?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was going to suggest the same thing a few of the other ladies said, try skipping the milk, especially at the time of day you struggle with the most. Try having it at another meal or snack and see if that helps. I also, thanks to the help of those on this board, have a handful of unsalted peanuts before bed and that helps keep me full and keeps my fasting number under control. Don't feel bad it's all trial and error until you figure out what your body tolerates. Good luck!!
  • This definitely throws one for a loop! I was just enjoying my pregnancy and then BAM!! Third trimester hits and I'm positive for GD. It has been exhausting, stressful and depressing. Forget the fact that I have to test my blood 4 times a day, be monitored weekly by a nurse/dietician and eat more than I care to, but I have to also have to go by this menu that to me is so boring that I'd rather not eat!! I've learned that I can't eat bread as my first meal of the day, hardly any carbs, I can't eat potatoes at all and I have to be active after almost each meal. All this planning what to eat and when to test my blood is just exhausting and stressful. I'm always anxious when i test my blood and I'm just basically fed up with it. I had to go on glyburide for my fasting and that is at least working so far. Usually I eat a pb sandwich, sometimes I add sugar free strawberry jelly. On a good note, today I had an ultrasound and they said that my baby is doing great and is about 31/2 lbs. They said he is growing at a great rate and right on track and that I was doing great taking care of myself. That made me feel awesome. To be honest though, I'm dying for some Halloween candy or basically anything I love to eat .
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo 11E5F5F6-4D0F-49E1-B9B6-320CF42213BE_zpspw0gd9zw.jpg photo 4dcf6524-f3e2-4099-82e2-545cd6740157_zpsb9a1d5a3.jpg
  • This definitely throws one for a loop! I was just enjoying my pregnancy and then BAM!! Third trimester hits and I'm positive for GD. It has been exhausting, stressful and depressing. Forget the fact that I have to test my blood 4 times a day, be monitored weekly by a nurse/dietician and eat more than I care to, but I have to also have to go by this menu that to me is so boring that I'd rather not eat!! I've learned that I can't eat bread as my first meal of the day, hardly any carbs, I can't eat potatoes at all and I have to be active after almost each meal. All this planning what to eat and when to test my blood is just exhausting and stressful. I'm always anxious when i test my blood and I'm just basically fed up with it. I had to go on glyburide for my fasting and that is at least working so far. Usually I eat a pb sandwich, sometimes I add sugar free strawberry jelly. On a good note, today I had an ultrasound and they said that my baby is doing great and is about 31/2 lbs. They said he is growing at a great rate and right on track and that I was doing great taking care of myself. That made me feel awesome. To be honest though, I'm dying for some Halloween candy or basically anything I love to eat .
    This is me, almost exactly.  Except I have to test my blood 8 times a day.  Some days, I just don't poke that often because it would be poking myself 10 minutes after the last time.

But the most annoying part is that I was fine being pregnant (except for high blood pressure, but we got that under control around 10 weeks).  And then all of a sudden this GD and now I hate eating.  I hate testing.  I have 12 alarms on my phone that go off each day reminding me of one thing or another.  So far I'm on Metformin, 1000mg twice a day.  I haven't had to go on insulin yet and I'm hoping to stay off of it.  I'm 28 weeks now.  My numbers are OK, but it is so stressful.  My husband will ask what I want for dinner and I always just have to tell him "I don't care.  Do I have to eat?"  I'm not even hungry anymore.  I have another US on Monday.  Hopefully my baby girl still looks healthy.
    42 years old and pregnant again for the second time after 19 years.

Willy window

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I second what so much of the PPs said!

I wanted to add that each pg can be different with how the GD will be. Last pg I couldn't even look at a potato without my numbers going high. This time around, I find potatoes are okay. Many ladies can't do milk in the morning, but can do fruit. I am the opposite and can't do fruit in the morning without a higher number. Its about learning the ropes and figuring out what works this time around. Hormones be crazy.

You are in no way a failure for needing to go on insulin! On the contrary, you are a hero for taking such good care of your LO and dealing with your GD! You would not want to hear the horror stories I overheard from some of the ladies at the lab I went to during last pg.
    imageimage
  • I have noticed if i have a spoonful of peanut butter or a few slices of cheese before bed my morning numbers are good. If not they are high

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks ladies, lots of good advice and it's nice to know I am not alone in hating GD. 
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

• I was diagnosed at 12 weeks, and by 14 weeks, I was put on insulin at bedtime. My numbers were pretty good during the day, but my fasting numbers just wouldn't stay below 90. It is so much easier to just give myself a shot at night than it was to stress over those numbers. I've stayed at the same dose throughout the pregnancy (37w4d today) and only rarely have a high number in the morning. Those fasting numbers are more hormonal than anything else, from what i understand, so even with a perfect diet, you could still see high fasting levels. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"