Georgia Babies

Daycare/Nanny- WWYD? Long...

I once again find myself in a childcare dilemma.  We finally have a daycare center that we love.  Sophie is thriving and I really do not want to mess with her.  It's pretty close to our house (10-12 min) but not super convenient for me now that Gavin is in school on the other side of Kennesaw and I'm working from home most of the time.  Our solution is that DH usually drops her off in the am on his way to work and I pick her up in the evenings. Gavin is at school until 3 and then I pick him up and he has "quiet time" while I finish working until 5 pm.  The days that I do go into the office, he goes to After School Program.  So far, its working well.

This baby is due in Feb.  I'm planning on taking 12 weeks maternity leave and then going back to work full time at home (going in the office once a week, twice max).  I am perfectly comfortable sending baby to this daycare except that I worry about BF.  I'm not good at pumping.  Not at all.  It gives me anxiety just thinking about it.  I only get 1-2 oz each session and it's discouraging which leads to more anxiety which means less milk.  With Gavin and Sophie, they went to daycare at my office for the first year so I could just go downstairs and nurse twice a day.  This daycare center is not convenient enough for that.  I could probably do once a day at lunch but even that might be tough.  I do plan to combo feed so I'm not opposed to some formula but I prefer to minimize it until about 6 mos.  I suppose I could just invest in a handsfree pump and get over it, but if that fails, I'd be really sad if I didn't get to BF this one as long as the others (9-10 mos) :-(

My mom is suggesting that we get a nanny. That way baby can stay here while I work but I can go down to the basement and actually get some work done.  Plus, a nanny would really help out with carpool for Gavin and other stuff and give me the most flexibility when going to the office.  Plus, I will be returning to work just as Gavin gets out of school for the summer so a nanny will also be able to watch him too.  But I don't think that Sophie would do well with a nanny all day.  She thrives in a structured classroom setting with other children.  Always has.  I think this would be way too disruptive for her. 

So I'm wondering what to do.  Ideally, we'd get a nanny for the baby/carpool and still send Sophie to a half day at preschool.  Just not sure if we can afford that!  Any ideas how much a nanny would charge for this?  She'd basically be watching a baby full time and just handling Sophie/Gavin carpool.  I can be fairly flexible with hours and I'm not really even needing someone with a ton of experience or education since we'd still be paying for preschool for Sophie and eventually for this baby too when she's old enough.  Am I crazy?  Should I just suck it up and send this one to daycare full time and cross the BF bridge when I get there?  Any other suggestions?

Re: Daycare/Nanny- WWYD? Long...

• If you can afford one, I say go for it.

When I had P I pumped in the car during my long commute.  No one ever noticed.  If you go on youtube you will find a video on how to rig a hands free pumping set up using elastics and instructions to do it in the car.  It wasn't my first choice.  But I found that because I was thinking about driving and not about pumping those would be my best pumps.  I used a nursing cover or one of my husband's t-shirts. It looked like I had huge ta-ta's.  I also made it a point to not pull directly next to someone at red lights. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • How long did you try to pump before? 1-2oz can be totally normal depending on age of baby and time of day. 10-12 min doesn't seem that far away, either, to go nurse at lunch. We purposefully chose a DC close to my office so I could do that. I enjoy the break from work, I get to see my little guy which makes leaving him there for the day easier, and it was one less pumping session I had to do. I'd say send the new one to DC and see how it goes. BF and pumping can be different for one baby to the next, so you may find you get the hang of it better this time around. Also, since you work from home for the most part, you can hook yourself up with a hands free bra and pump while you work, which may help you find time for it. Worst case, it doesn't work out and then you look into a nanny.
  • How long did you try to pump before? 1-2oz can be totally normal depending on age of baby and time of day. 10-12 min doesn't seem that far away, either, to go nurse at lunch. We purposefully chose a DC close to my office so I could do that. I enjoy the break from work, I get to see my little guy which makes leaving him there for the day easier, and it was one less pumping session I had to do. I'd say send the new one to DC and see how it goes. BF and pumping can be different for one baby to the next, so you may find you get the hang of it better this time around. Also, since you work from home for the most part, you can hook yourself up with a hands free bra and pump while you work, which may help you find time for it. Worst case, it doesn't work out and then you look into a nanny.

Yeah, this is kind of what I'm leaning towards.  Just a little concerned about summer time when Gavin is out of school too.  If we send him to daycare too- that means we are paying for 3 kids in full time daycare and I really don't want to think about how expensive that will be! 

As for pumping, I had bad experience with it with both kids.  I have pain and anxiety at let down for the first few months.  Pumping only adds to the frustration.  I loved nursing but pumping is not something that is realistic for me on a frequent basis.  Once a day is possible but more than that is basically a death sentence for my supply. 

• If can afford the nanny, that's what I would do. I also was not able to produce much via pumping unless I took a million fenugreek tablets and drank mother's tea all day long. You could look into a college student at KSU in the Early Edu dept for a nanny. You might be able to find someone that would be able to work their hours around what you need. Good luck! 
    Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • I would definitely look into a Nanny.  Does Sophie's daycare offer part-time summer space for Gavin?
    You could easily weigh the cost of the Nanny for all three of them over the summer vs the Nanny for Gavin and baby and pt daycare for Sophie, vs the nanny for the baby and pt daycare for Gavin and Sophie.

You could also get just a summer nanny and then put the baby at Sophie's daycare after Gavin goes back to school.  That would make her almost 7 months, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"