September 2013 Moms

Unenthusiastic and odd reactions to pregnancy

Ok so my MIL and mother have not been the greatest throughout this pregnancy. My mother is not the overly excitable type. She wasn't super excited about my wedding, she is not overly involved in my life and her reaction to my pregnancy has been consistent with her overall behavior. She didn't say anything hurtful per se about the pregnancy but she wasn't over the moon excited when we announced the pregnancy. I am now 20 weeks pregnant and she remains unenthused.

MIL is a different story. Historically, she has been too involved. She wanted to know every detail of my wedding and had an opinion about everything...to the point where I wanted to kill her during wedding planning. Still, she threw a wedding shower for me and appeared excited about the wedding. Well, she is so NOT excited about the pregnancy. When we told her we were pregnant she just stated "Really? So soon. I didn't expect this now." She then called my mother to tell my mother that she felt it was too soon. She repeatedly reminds me that I will need to find babysitting for the little one for BILs wedding which is over a year away because the baby is not invited to the wedding. I have reassured her multiple times that the baby will not be at the wedding. She has also hinted that she wants to make sure that my pregnancy does not detract from FSILs wedding planning. I think that I have been very good in this regard. It's all so weird and cold.

It feels like people think we are not ready for a child. It's odd. DH and I have been married over a year, we are both in our early 30s, we both have graduate degrees from good schools. My career has not been as steady as it should, but I do work temping and hope to eventually get something full time. DH has a good career. We own a home and we are secure financially. It just hurts because in a few years I will be advanced maternal age. How long did people want me to wait to start having children?

Re: Unenthusiastic and odd reactions to pregnancy

• I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Did you mean to post this here though? If you are only 20 weeks pregnant you obviously weren't due in September.

We said goodbye to our sweet Taylor Ashley on August 8, 2012.We lost baby Noelle on May 1, 2015

Mom to Cam and Al, now expecting baby number 3, August 2016. Praying for lots of sticky baby dust!
  • jdoud77 said:

I think it was just a simple mis-post. Her past history she's been posting in Feb. '14. 

Oh okay. I'm mobile and I can't see her details. :)

We said goodbye to our sweet Taylor Ashley on August 8, 2012.We lost baby Noelle on May 1, 2015

Mom to Cam and Al, now expecting baby number 3, August 2016. Praying for lots of sticky baby dust!
  • Loading the player...
  • yeah sorry. posted in the wrong month. Congrats on being almost there, September ladies and I apologize again for the mispost
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"