Working Moms

Daycare Naps and Morning Schedule

chiboo9chiboo9 member
edited September 2013 in Working Moms
Hey all. I'm down to my last week of maternity leave, and off to work I go next Monday. And off to daycare LO goes. And off to anxiety land I go...

LO will be 12 weeks when she starts at a daycare center. Her naps have been hit or miss these last several weeks at home. Most times she'll only nap for 20-30 minutes and when that happens, I'd have to rock her back to nap for another 30 minutes or so. I'm worried that daycare won't have the time to rock her back for naps, which may leave me to picking up an overtired baby at the end of the day. I was curious to see how everyone's LO napped at daycare around this age and how they adjusted to napping at daycare.

Also, the commute from home to daycare is about 45-60 minutes. Work is only 5 minutes away from daycare. LO has been waking up on her own around 7:30am. With daycare, we'd have to leave the house at 7. Should I wake LO around 6:30am to feed her before leaving? Or should I just transfer her from crib to car seat and then have daycare feed her as soon as I drop her off between 7:45-8am? LO loves car rides and always sleeps so she'd most likely be asleep in the mornings on the way to daycare. What is best to do? If I wake her at 6:30am to feed before daycare, should I start doing that this week, to get her used to it?

TIA for guiding this anxious FTM!

ETA: LO is EFF.

Re: Daycare Naps and Morning Schedule

• I don't see any reason to start waking her early to get her ready for day care - either way, there's going to be an adjustment period, you're just moving it up a week by doing so.

I wake the baby up before I leave for work so I can feed her - DH drops her off about an hour after I leave. On the rare occasions I've dropped her off, I've seen a couple moms feeding their kiddos right before heading out the door, so you could probably go either way, it would just depend on what works best for you. Either way, if you can work it in, it might make sense for you to be the one to give her her morning feed vs the daycare, since it's one less bottle you'll have to pump for.

Good luck! And enjoy your last week home with LO!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Although, reading your post now, I don't know if you're breastfeeding or not, so it may not matter if you're doing formula!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Karla CS said:
    Although, reading your post now, I don't know if you're breastfeeding or not, so it may not matter if you're doing formula!
    LO is EFF. 
  • There is going to be an adjustment period in the beginning with naps, for sure.  DS was super tired the first few weeks he started, but she will get into a routine there and it will pass. 

I personally would feed the LO before I left, just in case, because that would be a long ride with a hungry baby! 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My DD has been at daycare for almost 2 months now (started at 10 weeks) and is also EFF.  I determine whether or not to wake her to feed depending on when she last ate at night.  If it'll be more than 3.5 hrs since she ate when we get to daycare I'll wake her up and feed her.  If not, then I wait and let them feed her there.

Most LO's have trouble sleeping at daycare.  DD sleeps there but definitely not as well as she sleeps at home.  Luckily, being at daycare doesn't mess up her weekend nap schedule.  We just know that she'll be tired when we pick her up and will go to bed earlier than on the weekends.  Your DD will probably benefit from the long commute home and will probably snooze the whole way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Feed LO before you leave the house.

Ditto others there will be an adjustment period and in the beginning LO may not be a good napper with the stimulation. However, DC's are awesome at following cues and getting LO on a schedule. As far as picking up an overtired child in the afternoon? That's what the 45 min commute is for-add'l nap time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LoCarb said:

Feed LO before you leave the house.

Ditto others there will be an adjustment period and in the beginning LO may not be a good napper with the stimulation. However, DC's are awesome at following cues and getting LO on a schedule. As far as picking up an overtired child in the afternoon? That's what the 45 min commute is for-add'l nap time.

Good point! I guess I didn't think about the ride home serving as nap time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"