1st Trimester
Options

Taking Allergy Meds while pregnant

Hi all,

I have called my dr about this, but I am curious to know if anyone else is taking allergy medicine while pregnant.  I am currently taking 10mg of Citrizine (Sam's Club version of Claritin) and I stopped taking it last week but developed major allergy headaches and I was a hot mess.  I ended up caving and took a pill last night and within a few hours my headache was gone and I slept better last night then the past 2 nights.  I am worried the Dr will tell me to stop taking it and then I'll be feeling like crap on top of the pregnancy symptoms I've been having.

How many of you are currently taking an allergy pill?  What has your Dr said about it?

Thanks in advance!

TTC 8/1/11 Met with RE: 9/7/12; starting with BW on next CD3 and HSG between CD7-11. Husband has SA 9/21/12; meth with RE 10/11-diagnosed with Male fertility issues 1% chance of getting pregnant naturally, only IVF.  Insurance doesn't cover IVF, took a break from trying until we could save the money.
June 19-Begin injections for IVF Round 1- only 1 egg dropped, fertilized but did not attach
August 8-Begin IVF round 2, more aggressive, 10 egges, all 10 fertilized, implanted 1, froze 4
September 14-got the call that we are expecting!!!

Re: Taking Allergy Meds while pregnant

• Options
    I think you should ask your doctor about this.  There are some allergy meds that are ok to take, and some that are not.  Follow your doctor's advice.  That being said, my doctor has ok'd Benedryl for me, but it makes me sooooo sleep so I avoid it.  Very late in my second pregnancy she ok'd Claritin for me.  Again, ask your doctor.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

• Options
    I know Benadryl is supposed to be safe during pregnancy. But that stuff makes me sooooo tired

It's a BOY

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank-you @kaysa2, I didn't know about the different classes!  Interesting!  I am waiting to hear back from my doctor and I will ultimately do what she suggests, but I was curious to know if there are any other allergy people out there!!

Thanks!

TTC 8/1/11 Met with RE: 9/7/12; starting with BW on next CD3 and HSG between CD7-11. Husband has SA 9/21/12; meth with RE 10/11-diagnosed with Male fertility issues 1% chance of getting pregnant naturally, only IVF.  Insurance doesn't cover IVF, took a break from trying until we could save the money.
    June 19-Begin injections for IVF Round 1- only 1 egg dropped, fertilized but did not attach
    August 8-Begin IVF round 2, more aggressive, 10 egges, all 10 fertilized, implanted 1, froze 4

• Options
    I took Zyrtec throughout my last pregnancy and am again--my dr said it was fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have severe seasonal allergies, which, here in Texas, means I'm miserable about 10 months out of the year. I take Zyrtec (cetirizine) at bedtime and Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) every morning, and I add a Benadryl (diphenhydramine) as needed on bad days.

My doctor isn't crazy about her patients taking Allegra (fexofenadine), but I'm going to have to take it in November and April, my worst months for hayfever. The alternative is severe combo respiratory and sinus infections, which would be worse for me and the baby than any allergy medication.

Claritin (loratadine) is on the approved list too, but it doesn't work for my allergies and just makes me dehydrated.

Unisom (doxylamine) is marketed as a sleep aid, but it's a basic first-generation antihistamine that works great for allergies. It's also prescribed for relieving morning sickness, so taking it can kill two birds with one stone.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    jenb_99 said:
    I have severe seasonal allergies, which, here in Texas, means I'm miserable about 10 months out of the year. I take Zyrtec (cetirizine) at bedtime and Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) every morning, and I add a Benadryl (diphenhydramine) as needed on bad days.

My doctor isn't crazy about her patients taking Allegra (fexofenadine), but I'm going to have to take it in November and April, my worst months for hayfever. The alternative is severe combo respiratory and sinus infections, which would be worse for me and the baby than any allergy medication.

Claritin (loratadine) is on the approved list too, but it doesn't work for my allergies and just makes me dehydrated.

Unisom (doxylamine) is marketed as a sleep aid, but it's a basic first-generation antihistamine that works great for allergies. It's also prescribed for relieving morning sickness, so taking it can kill two birds with one stone.
    @jenb_99 THank-you so much for this information!  I have been researching all morning but I really appreciate this!!  Thank you and best of luck with your allergy season coming, it's NOT fun!!

• Options
    I was also told that Claritin is okay -- just regular Claritin though, NOT the Claritin D that also contains decongestants.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I get allergy shots which both doctors said was okay as long as they don't increase my dosage until after the baby is born.  Otherwise I don't take pills bc they don't help me anyway (I'm allergic to everything).  
  • Options
    @jgough625 You're very welcome. I hope you find some relief too! And I forgot to mention that I used the same meds throughout my first pregnancy, minus the Allegra.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    Mine are horrible. I was told I can take Claritin, Zyrtec, and Benadryl but none of them work all that well. One night I took Benadryl and Alka seltzer cold & flu, then turned the shower on and let the bathroom steam up and laid on the floor with a hot wet towel on my face for 10-15 min and I felt great the next day. The steam/hot towel is the only thing that's really working. It breaks up all the congestion. Don't worry though...hopefully the pollen counts will go down soon!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I used to take Allegra and Singulair (prescription also used for asthma). My doctor told me that when I got pregnant I could take the Singulair but to switch from Allegra to Clairtin. So that's what I did. My new doctor agreed that that was a good choice. I have severe allergies so if I don't take them I get bad sinus infections.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"