Breastfeeding

Frozen Milk

Do you freeze all the BM you pump? I heard that freezing causes the milk to loose some of it's nutrients, is this true? If you don't freeze all the pumped BM, how do you rotate the frozen into your LOs feeding schedule? TIA

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Frozen Milk

• What I pump at work she eats the next day so no need to freeze. Anything extra gets frozen and used if I need it, like last night I got a hair cut so instead of worrying about an extra pumping session, dh gave her frozen.

I wouldn't feed her solely frozen milk because I don't have to but once a day is fine.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • One tip I heard to rotate in the frozen was to freeze Fridays milk and send frozen to daycare on Mondays.

I haven't implemented this yet but should because my freezer stash is drying quite large.... And never being used.
  • Loading the player...
  • One tip I heard to rotate in the frozen was to freeze Fridays milk and send frozen to daycare on Mondays. I haven't implemented this yet but should because my freezer stash is drying quite large.... And never being used.
    Exactly I don't want the freezer stuff to go bad. 

• One tip I heard to rotate in the frozen was to freeze Fridays milk and send frozen to daycare on Mondays. I haven't implemented this yet but should because my freezer stash is drying quite large.... And never being used.
    Exactly I don't want the freezer stuff to go bad. 
    If you aren't using it and getting a large stash, you may want to just cut back on the pumping.  If you're pumping for the next day, keep doing that, but once you hit what you need, I'd stop for the day.  No reason to do the work just to not use/need the milk, IMO.  As PP said, I pumped for the next day and anything extra went into the stash for nights off or time away without having to stress about getting home to LO or pumping to keep up supply. 

Alternatively, depending on how large your stash is in if you really aren't going to need it all, there are ways you can donate it so it doesn't go to waste.
  • I pump at work for the next day. Then Friday I freeze anything left except 3 ounces. ( that way if I want to go out on the weekend to the store or whatever. ) I can. Then Monday she gets frozen milk and Mondays pumped get used Tuesday and so on. My stash is not growing just getting cycled through.
  • ==N== said:
    What I pump at work she eats the next day so no need to freeze. Anything extra gets frozen and used if I need it, like last night I got a hair cut so instead of worrying about an extra pumping session, dh gave her frozen. I wouldn't feed her solely frozen milk because I don't have to but once a day is fine.
    This.  When I had some milk that had been in the freezer for awhile I started to rotate my stash more.  I used half frozen milk and half fresh a few of days a week for bottles.  I froze half of the fresh milk that I pumped.
  • The thing is i have a weird schedule, i work 3 12 hours shift a week and they are not in a row.

• Can you freeze milk that has been in the fridge for a couple days?

• Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • I have a variable work schedule, so I don't have a fixed system.  I just occasionally send one frozen milk bottle and freeze the fresh milk I pumped that day so my stash rotates.  Then I have gone out of town for 1-2 days without LO once in a while, and use a lot of my stash for that, and just freeze what I pump while gone.  So my stash rarely gets too old, but if the oldest milk in my stash is getting old, I send a few frozen bottles that week.  I often store milk from Friday in the fridge and send on Monday since my stash isn't that huge and it isn't that old, either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"