December 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone else have constant Braxton hicks?

The past few weeks I have been having tons of Braxton hicks that only seem to go away when I sleep at night. This week I started consistently getting 2-3 an hour so I called the dr. They told me not to worry unless I got more than four an hour.

Well Thursday night I was having five or so an hour so I called the on call dr. She told me that if I got them consistently every 10 mins or they started becoming very painful to come to l&d but otherwise to come to the office in the morning. I went for an office visit where they checked my cervix which she said is thick and closed and did an ffn which thankfully came back negative. So they told me I guess this is just what your uterus does??! I have tried resting and I drink so much water I don't think its that. I just wish I could get some relief!! They are not painful but they aren't the most comfortable and I hate having to think about well are they getting closer together or getting stronger all the time!!

I feel better knowing that they haven't done anything to change my cervix so far and that the ffn was negative so for the next 2 weeks at least I don't think I'll go into labor. And the dr seemed really unconcerned. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?? It scares me and just doesn't seem normal but I'm trusting that my dr would do something if it was a huge problem...

Re: Anyone else have constant Braxton hicks?

• Options
    I'm sorry, that sucks! At least everything checked out okay.

I get them a lot too but they are mostly brought on by bending over, picking things up, etc. I mentioned to my dr and she said to keep my feet up and try not to over do it (this was as my toddler ran a muck in her waiting room lol). She also said more then 4 per hour to call.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    YES. I'm going insane. There are days where I don't feel this way but overall I get them very frequently. My doctor told me to call if they are happening in a pattern, if I have any pain or discharge etc. So far that hasn't happened, but I do get them a lot - like definitely at least 4 in an hour. I've had my cervix checked 3 times and each time it's been long and closed. I try and drink a lot of water but I find that having a full bladder is another trigger (along with being dehydrated, tired, laying flat, changing positions too quickly etc.). It's definitely unnerving but I think I just have an extra sensitive uterus. I go tomorrow morning and will asked to be checked and possibly to get the ffn test. I've talk to two other friends who had them frequently so I know we're not alone!

Hope this makes you feel better and that your uterus settles down :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine haven't been that constant, but I definitely have been getting them at a higher frequency lately. I just attributed it to being later in my pregnancy.

gcama85 said:

YES. I'm going insane. There are days where I don't feel this way but overall I get them very frequently. My doctor told me to call if they are happening in a pattern, if I have any pain or discharge etc. So far that hasn't happened, but I do get them a lot - like definitely at least 4 in an hour. I've had my cervix checked 3 times and each time it's been long and closed. I try and drink a lot of water but I find that having a full bladder is another trigger (along with being dehydrated, tired, laying flat, changing positions too quickly etc.). It's definitely unnerving but I think I just have an extra sensitive uterus. I go tomorrow morning and will asked to be checked and possibly to get the ffn test. I've talk to two other friends who had them frequently so I know we're not alone!

Hope this makes you feel better and that your uterus settles down :)
    This does make me feel so much better that it's not just me (although I'm sorry you have to deal with them too!!) I had my first birthing class the other night and the instructor asked if anyone had felt any Braxton hicks yet and out of 15 moms I was the only one that raised my hand!!

I'm really trying to take comfort in knowing the ffn test is pretty accurate for at least the next week and a half or so and I need to stop focusing on them so much. I feel like all I do all day is time and count contractions :( But I'm going to try and trust the dr and believe that this is just "normal " for me! Ugh!!
  • Options
    I had constant BH with my second and with this one. I wouldn't worry if they don't seem to be doing anything.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm feeling that way too. My doctor scheduled an ultrasound to measure cervical length though.
  • Options
    I have them pretty frequently, too. This is my first pregnancy and it took me a while to identify them as even Braxton-Hicks because  I thought that they only happen later in the pregnancy -- but lo and behold I'm in my third trimester almost. I guess that's late enough.

I find them more annoying than anything. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
  • Options
    I have them pretty frequently, and did my last pregnancy too.  DD was born on her due date, so I tend to just ignore them unless I notice a bunch in the same hour, but I've had enough tonight that I'll bring it up to my doc at my next appointment.  I hate not knowing whether to let things make you nervous or not...
  • Options

I'm been in L&D twice for BHs. My ffn test was negative, but I went because I was having 8 BH/hour during my last visit (I was actually contracting more frequently, when they hooked me up to the monitors), they gave me a shot to stop contractions temporarily. After my last visit to L&D, my ob prescribed anti-contractions meds that help control contractions. Long story short, there's plenty they can do, assuming you're not in labor.

In our situation, we've been more proactive and our docs have been more aggressive. 

• Options
    I've been having braxton hick contractions for a few weeks now. I had some strong ones yesterday that made me catch my breath. I haven't timed them but this is my third so I know they are not real contractions. They never last more than 1 hour at a time anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"